C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MPG Check-In

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 09:59 PM
theandrewo
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts

‘08 base 6spd w/intake & Procharger P1

9-11mpg average per tank via DIC. 70/30 street/highway and I drive it like I stole it.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:11 AM
KingCorvette93
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 51 Posts

Anyone use "regular" gas? Just curious.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:36 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by KingCorvette93
Anyone use "regular" gas? Just curious.
There apparently seems to be some posters here or there that do, but the recommended minimum I believe is 91 octane for most C6 engines.

There is no legitimate reason to use a lesser octane unless one is so poor they can't afford the extra 25¢ or whatever per gallon. In that case, they probably shouldn't be driving a Corvette -- maybe stick to a motorcycle or bicycle.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:53 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruze
There apparently seems to be some posters here or there that do, but the recommended minimum I believe is 91 octane for most C6 engines.

There is no legitimate reason to use a lesser octane unless one is so poor they can't afford the extra 25¢ or whatever per gallon. In that case, they probably shouldn't be driving a Corvette -- maybe stick to a motorcycle or bicycle.
In my local area the difference in price is 90-99 cents per gallon.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:26 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
Honestly Ed, I don't even look at gas prices -- which is why I used the qualifier "or whatever".

And I'm not overflowing with money that I can't figure out how to spend.

But in the big picture, what I spend on gas per month is less than what my landline/internet costs. So, it's not relevant to my lifestyle.

I get into "discussions" with friends who are always talking about gas prices. One in particular is a retired mail carrier with a comfortable pension. But for some reason, "gasoline" seems to be a commodity that should be either dirt cheap or better yet, free. Or so their obsession leads one to believe.

I tell them that gas today, adjusted for inflation, is as cheap as it's ever been. It doesn't even register with them because the price of gasoline is some sort of untouchable religious thing, so me telling them that is like trying to convince a preacher that God doesn't exist.

Then there's the inevitable anti-liberty business-bashing (always by people who have never really RUN one) that "The (evil) oil companies make obscene profits!" Umm, no, they don't. They are no more "profitable" over the long-term than any other blue chips. And the retired mail carrier does invest in the stock market, so I tell him that if he really believes it, he should put everything into oil or STFU. Of course, he just laughs it off.

Or, I have told these people that if they think gas is too high they are free to invest millions, start their own oil company, start drilling in the various war zones around the world, ship it here and refine it, and see if you can beat the current pump price. More laughs.

Then I ask them why they never obsess over food/shoes/tires/phone/heat/ etc. etc. etc. prices. More laughter. Only gasoline has the sacred honor of something that no matter the current price it is always too high and should really be free.

Ah well, in another 10-15 years it will all be over and I won't have to listen to it. Unless it is also a big discussion in hell.

Attachment 48333445

Old 02-14-2019, 10:48 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Honestly Ed, I don't even look at gas prices -- which is why I used the qualifier "or whatever".

But in the big picture, what I spend on gas per month is less than what my landline/internet costs. So, it's not relevant to my lifestyle.

I get into "discussions" with friends who are always talking about gas prices. One in particular is a retired mail carrier with a comfortable pension. But for some reason, "gasoline" seems to be a commodity that should be either dirt cheap or better yet, free. Or so their obsession leads one to believe.

I tell them that gas today, adjusted for inflation, is as cheap as it's ever been. It doesn't even register with them because the price of gasoline is some sort of untouchable religious thing, so me telling them that is like trying to convince a preacher that God doesn't exist.

Then there's the inevitable anti-liberty business-bashing (always by people who have never really RUN one) that "The (evil) oil companies make obscene profits!" Umm, no, they don't. They are no more "profitable" over the long-term than any other blue chips. And the retired mail carrier does invest in the stock market, so I tell him that if he really believes it, he should put everything into oil or STFU. Of course, he just laughs it off.

Or, I have told these people that if they think gas is too high they are free to invest millions, start their own oil company, start drilling in the various war zones around the world, ship it here and refine it, and see if you can beat the current pump price. More laughs.

Then I ask them why they never obsess over food/shoes/tires/phone/heat/ etc. etc. etc. prices. More laughter. Only gasoline has the sacred honor of something that no matter the current price it is always too high and should really be free.

Ah well, in another 10-15 years it will all be over and I won't have to listen to it. Unless it is also a big discussion in hell.

LOL. Bruze you sound like an oil executive for one of the big oil companies. I remember back when the oil prices really started to sky-rocket that when the oil company execs were interviewed they would always make the comment that "Well, gasoline is still cheaper by the gallon then bottled water"........
Old 02-14-2019, 12:23 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,578 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Old 02-14-2019, 01:09 PM
ramvette01
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 01 Convertible with a 6 speed manual. I used to get around 20mpg, but lately it's dropped to about 15, without any appreciable change in driving. Don't know why, but would be interested to hear remedies.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:30 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
Down here it's 32 cents more for 93 as of Monday.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:05 AM
PrecisionVette
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

2005 A4 with 3.15 rear. In the 4 months ive had my vette the dic has the avg. consistanly between 17.5 and 17.7 mpg in the city. Thats mostly moderate stop n go traffic with the AC on. Not sure what I get on the highway. If I drive as conservatively as possible ive got it up to 18.3 Car is stock except for a 25% UD ATI balancer. 17 mile daily commute to and from work.

Last edited by PrecisionVette; 02-16-2019 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:57 PM
C6KWJ
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

13 city highway combined
Old 03-01-2019, 09:57 AM
KingCorvette93
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 51 Posts

Some people I know with Coyote V8 Mustangs use E85 gas. Why would someone do this?
Old 03-01-2019, 11:40 AM
farmington
Safety Car

Received 1,119 Likes on 798 Posts

2012 A6 base. Stock except for Borla Stinger axle back. DIC tells me 20 mpg overall since I got the car last year. Don’t drive it for mpg. Drive it for enjoyment. Use 93 from Costco.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:38 PM
*Trip*
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

2012 coupe MN6...30k milage... Stock...
Best ever on a long 15 hour all freeway trip where the speed limit was only 60 for about 4 hours I was shocked to see 31 mpg for the whole trip...
But normally around 25-27 running around 80 on cruise.
Around town it depends allot on if I'm inching along dropping my kid at school.... 8mpg
Normal driving in town 15-18 using only 1-3-5 shifts...
Having fun...8-10 mpg...

I've experimented with regular gas on occasion after talking with a expert on such things.... He said the Vette is very smart and no side effects since the system adjusts for what ever octane you run... But you will lose an little performance on full throttle acceleration..... Usually do Premium... And it is only about .50c more in my area which prob only costs an extra $300 a year to run the good stuff....
The following users liked this post:
KingCorvette93 (03-01-2019)

Quick Reply: MPG Check-In