C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C not cold, big $$$ - ok to negotiate?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 10:39 AM
Carvone
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Sometimes if you wait until the compressor grenades it can send shrapnel downstream to the condenser and be a problem for the new pump. Most A/C places prefer to put in new parts (on your dime) to make sure you don't come back yelling for a refund. Hell, sometimes you need all new parts, maybe you don't? Get a competent shop to look at it as these guys seem expensive.
The following users liked this post:
KingCorvette93 (02-12-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 01:29 PM
stingray71
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 138 Posts

I'm not sure of the compressor price, but I had my condenser replaced including evac and refill refrigerant etc. This was done at a Chevy dealer near me and price was $1000. The condenser had a leak. It would suck to have to replace both compressor AND condenser.
You can do the A/C belt yourself. Are they really charging you an extra $105 to remove and replace that belt if they are already replacing the compressor? Seems like that should be part of the labor cost (not parts) for the compressor.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:15 PM
dmsog
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 63 Posts

I successfully ran an automotive business for 40 years. Anybody that tried to negotiate my rates was asked the same question by me ...Do you see a sign that says flea market over the door?
People won't try to negotiate at the doctor's office or the grocery store, why would they try that stuff on me? I found this practice insulting.
Just a view from the other side of the fence.
KingCorvette93 (02-13-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 01:24 PM
KingCorvette93
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by dmsog
I successfully ran an automotive business for 40 years. Anybody that tried to negotiate my rates was asked the same question by me ...Do you see a sign that says flea market over the door?
People won't try to negotiate at the doctor's office or the grocery store, why would they try that stuff on me? I found this practice insulting.
Great advice! I didn't think of it that way. Thanks!
Old 02-13-2019, 05:53 PM
jimijam
Melting Slicks

Received 936 Likes on 582 Posts

If YOU haven't tried to negotiate a price at the doctor's office or dentist, that's on you. You keep that old school way of thinking alive and well. For others, even Starbucks will give you a 10% discount if you ask. Grocery store? Probably not unless you are ordering fresh flowers to give your boyfriend for Valentine's Day.

Last edited by jimijam; 02-13-2019 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:07 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by KingCorvette93
Alright folks, thread is off track now. Let's keep it focused, please

I appreciate the advice of all.

I am looking at one of the newer estimates compared to an older one (we have exchanged many emails and documents setting up appointments and confirming what needs to be done). New estimate is about $2200, whereas the old one is about $2350 ($2450 less $100 for the door trim thing). I sent an email to identify the difference... I will keep you all posted.
I would not walk.....I would run from that place.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:22 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,444 Likes on 2,802 Posts

In college I worked at best buy. People tried this all the time. We never budged on prices. We did price match, but if you just want a discount because you asked? That's insanity to me. Now if we put together a big system purchase we would sometimes do a discount to throw in extras like a warranty, but prices were plainly marked.

The funny part is it was the same people who would come in and try it all the time, with the same results. We all judged them. We got to the point where we didnt even want to deal with them, and so would find other customers to help first. We never had anything in the back for them. They generally just got worse service for treating us like our time wasnt valuable.

If you just bought a car you cant do the work on yourself... you are in no bargaining position. If you dont feel good about that price, get a dealership quote. You'll feel much better about the other shop's price and thank them!
Old 02-14-2019, 11:49 AM
HobbesTiger
Racer

Received 215 Likes on 118 Posts

I usually do the wrenching on my cars, but there are times when I don't. I've done the AC system on several of them that required replacing everything after the compressor came apart internally.

I won't take the cheap way out simply because I learned when I was younger that doing the job once is preferable to doing it twice.

I also have no problem with anyone valuing their own expertise and marking up the price of parts slightly. All I expect is that they can explain why there is a fair price.

That being said that estimate seems awfully high. As others have said, there is nothing special about the AC system. I would get a second estimate.
KingCorvette93 (02-14-2019)
Old 02-15-2019, 12:43 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by jimijam
If YOU haven't tried to negotiate a price at the doctor's office or dentist, that's on you. You keep that old school way of thinking alive and well. For others, even Starbucks will give you a 10% discount if you ask. Grocery store? Probably not unless you are ordering fresh flowers to give your boyfriend for Valentine's Day.
If Starbucks gave me a 90% discount i still would not drink there sh&t coffee.

Quick Reply: A/C not cold, big $$$ - ok to negotiate?