C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C not cold, big $$$ - ok to negotiate?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 06:19 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

I never realized we had so many experts on this forum. Simply amazing.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:25 PM
KingCorvette93
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by cadyshac
Seems high to me, easily worth a second opinion. As already said, compressor AND condensor? Your condenser is just a "radiator" for your freon/ac system.

What is the door release bezel about?
The front door bezel is that silver piece that the push-button opener resides in. It's just a bit scratched up from the previous owner. I will not have it replaced, but they billed it just because they noticed it and thought I might want to know the pricing.

I will further discuss with the shop the possibility of not needing the condenser!

Last edited by KingCorvette93; 02-11-2019 at 06:29 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:46 PM
cadyshac
Drifting

Received 596 Likes on 393 Posts
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by KingCorvette93
The front door bezel is that silver piece that the push-button opener resides in. It's just a bit scratched up from the previous owner. I will not have it replaced, but they billed it just because they noticed it and thought I might want to know the pricing.

I will further discuss with the shop the possibility of not needing the condenser!
It's your car but if you didn't think the estimate was high I don't think you would be asking on here. Why not take it to another shop for a second estimate? You might be able to figure out for yourself if your compressor is locked up. Again, as already said, do a little research online and on youtube.

Good luck!
Old 02-11-2019, 06:58 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by saplumr
Am I an expert? I don't know. maybe not. Did I used to price auto repair jobs out for a living? Yes. Does it take an expert to do that? There are no less than a dozen labor guides on line. Doesn't take an expert to google automotive labor guide and look it up. Mitchell is the most commonly used in the industry, as is All Data, but there are at least a dozen that are free.

Does it take an expert to realize that billing for belt r&r on a job that already includes belt r&r in the book is double billing? No, it does not. It's not genius level, it's common sense. It's also there in black and white if you look it up.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:01 PM
CRNA15
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Your sarcasm is obvious, but you've been on this forum long enough to know people treat these cars like they're an exotic. No offense to the OP, he may not have the tools or time to do this, completely understandable. However the principles of an A/C system are the same for any other GM vehicle or any manufacturer for that matter.

Bottom line, get a second or third opinion. Just do it bro, doesn't cost you anything to do that other than a little time. Yes recharging/evac is special equipment, but there's nothing about the vette with regards to the A/C as a whole that isn't the same as any other car. Find another shop that deals with A/C and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with a much lower price.

Last edited by CRNA15; 02-11-2019 at 07:16 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:02 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Sox-Fan
Am I an expert? I don't know. maybe not. Did I used to price auto repair jobs out for a living? Yes. Does it take an expert to do that? There are no less than a dozen labor guides on line. Doesn't take an expert to google automotive labor guide and look it up. Mitchell is the most commonly used in the industry, as is All Data, but there are at least a dozen that are free.

Does it take an expert to realize that billing for belt r&r on a job that already includes belt r&r in the book is double billing? No, it does not. It's not genius level, it's common sense. It's also there in black and white if you look it up.
I’m in the Plumbing/HVAC business. Here is the problem at hand. No two jobs are identical.
The following users liked this post:
Norskie (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 07:08 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

I’m in the Plumbing/HVAC business. Here is the problem at hand. No two jobs are identical.
That is not true for cars.

People are trying to help this guy. So why the sarcasm? Do you think it's helpful to him?
Old 02-11-2019, 07:11 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

That is not true for cars.

People are trying to help this guy. So why the sarcasm? Do you think it's helpful to him?
it’s pretty simple to me. If you’re not an expert in the field don’t give dish out advice.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:12 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Advice you should take. Sounds like a cry for attention to me. Mommy issues?
Old 02-11-2019, 07:13 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Advice you should take. Sounds like a cry for attention to me. Mommy issues?
Gotta love people with class.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:16 PM
jimijam
Melting Slicks

Received 936 Likes on 582 Posts

Let me guess, you are the only expert here?
Old 02-11-2019, 07:17 PM
KingCorvette93
Pro

Alright folks, thread is off track now. Let's keep it focused, please

I appreciate the advice of all.

I am looking at one of the newer estimates compared to an older one (we have exchanged many emails and documents setting up appointments and confirming what needs to be done). New estimate is about $2200, whereas the old one is about $2350 ($2450 less $100 for the door trim thing). I sent an email to identify the difference... I will keep you all posted.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:18 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jimijam
Let me guess, you are the only expert here?
No. I’m not an expert in auto A.C. My point is these people are not either but yet they’re giving advice. Makes no sense.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:25 PM
jimijam
Melting Slicks

Received 936 Likes on 582 Posts

There is no reason to be paying a Corvette premium on this a/c as it nothing special and the same as just about every other similar year Chevy out there. Get a second option by a different shop. Did you take it to Newman's already? Do not tell them what you believe is wrong with it, or what the other shop has told you. Just drive it in and tell them the a/c does not blow cold. And don't let a commercial or residential plumber/hvac guy work on your vehicle's a/c system.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:30 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jimijam
There is no reason to be paying a Corvette premium on this a/c as it nothing special and the same as just about every other similar year Chevy out there. Get a second option by a different shop. Did you take it to Newman's already? Do not tell them what you believe is wrong with it, or what the other shop has told you. Just drive it in and tell them the a/c does not blow cold. And don't let a commercial or residential plumber/hvac guy work on your vehicle's a/c system.
Just a little FYI. Plumbing or HVAC techs don’t waste time working on something they’re not trained for. We leave that for CorvetteForum experts.

Last edited by saplumr; 02-11-2019 at 07:31 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:39 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

@KingCorvette93 what year is your car? Auto or manual?
Old 02-11-2019, 07:44 PM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,116 Likes on 693 Posts

Check me if I am wrong but I think the condensor also includes the receiver-drier so I would replace it with the compressor.

Point of reference....I came across an open box Delco compressor for $68 and a no-name condensor for $20. Add a $5 can of freon and my eventual DIY repair will be less than a hundred bucks. So glad I turn my own wrenches.

Get notified of new replies

To A/C not cold, big $$$ - ok to negotiate?

Old 02-11-2019, 07:59 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

I would definitely make sure you are not paying for labor twice, the belt is one clear case you are. Also it costs $160 or so to find a leak? Are they charging you a diagnosis fee also? Chevy dealer was about to charge me $54 because they looked at my 2 year old Malbu's seat tear and Chevy determined that it isn't covered saying I cut it. $415 repair they wanted me to pay just so it can fail again in 20k miles.

I don't trust the customer appreciation cards Their goal is to make you feel happy about selecting their business for this job.

I don't know about the condenser if it needs to be replaced or not. I know someone who had their LS7 failed. Dealer didn't replace the oil tank so the new engine failed due to contamination. Condenser might be the same.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:42 PM
KingCorvette93
Pro

@KingCorvette93 what year is your car? Auto or manual?
2010, manual
Sox-Fan (02-12-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 08:59 PM
hmmmm16417
Drifting

Received 182 Likes on 142 Posts

looks like they are billing for labor for each individual task even though some of them will already be completed . Example, the quoted hours for replacing the compressor is "x" which probably includes removing and replacing the A/C belt.

Like someone above said, there are probably some double charges in there because of just looking up the labor hours in the book for the job. Most shops can do it much faster than the "average" quoted in the book. that's how they make their money. however , there are times the jobs take longer and they lose out...... which is why they always quote on the high end.

If you trust the shop and they do good work and you are a returning customer with a good standing relationship , then by all means try to negotiate as long as it doesn't cause them to cut corners and do a sub par job. . worst they can say is no.
KingCorvette93 (02-11-2019)

Quick Reply: A/C not cold, big $$$ - ok to negotiate?