C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thinking of picking up a c6...

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 01:21 PM
JMG2
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,027 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by SlothX311
I'd do it if you're even semi-serious about wanting to do some track stuff. Like I said, the GS is essentially a Z06 everywhere but the engine. All the upgrades you'd want to do to a base trim, done from the factory... and in manual you even get dry sump, no oil starvation worries.
Yeah.. you don't have to sell me on it... I'm pretty much zoned in on a '12/'13 GS coup... *if* i go the coupe route.
I'm also still toying with a custom 4-pt roll in my c5 vert, and doing some HPDE/track day events before I go down the road of selling my vert/buying a coupe... guys at Limerock recommended several shops that are familiar with their rules and have done high-quality roll bars w/door guards and the cost is really not all that much... granted, the car will really only be good for HPDE/track day, but near-term that's where I 'm thinking of starting.

Any, 3lt/6spd/black GS is a superb car at a decent price and if I go with a coupe, I think that's where I'm heading.

Last edited by JMG2; 02-14-2019 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:26 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,442 Likes on 2,801 Posts

So the elephant in the room is, how much track driving have you done already? The worst thing you could do is go headlong into it with the intent of tracking all the time then have the reality not consumables and time not work out.

If you havent done anything like this extensively before, do yourself a favor and buy a cheap coupe car of any sort, and see how you like it first. You may find the reality of it to not live up to the dream.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:36 PM
JMG2
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,027 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
So the elephant in the room is, how much track driving have you done already? The worst thing you could do is go headlong into it with the intent of tracking all the time then have the reality not consumables and time not work out.

If you havent done anything like this extensively before, do yourself a favor and buy a cheap coupe car of any sort, and see how you like it first. You may find the reality of it to not live up to the dream.
It's buried in this thread somewhere .. but right now I'm purely researching options. I'm not doing anything near term. I've done a few track day events (not with my car) , but now with the kids getting older, I'm getting more serious about it... signing up for a 3-day course at limerock late spring/early summer, and will see where I go from there.

This would be my 4th vette, and my experience is that it takes a while to get what you want.. so I figured no harm in starting the research sooner rather than later :-)

Last edited by JMG2; 02-14-2019 at 01:42 PM.

Quick Reply: thinking of picking up a c6...