C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rusty Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 12:56 AM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 180 Posts
Default Rusty Rotors

The Grand Sport I bought had rust around the inside inner portion of the contact area on the rotor and a bit around the section where the wheels mount. I sanded them clean, but of course they are rusted again already.

I am planning on painting the calipers, so probably a good time to paint or seal the rotors in that area. Anyone have any recommendations?
Old 02-14-2019, 01:01 AM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

I used black caliper paint on my rotor hats and perimeter and it has held up well for five years now.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:04 AM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by HBsurfer
I used black caliper paint on my rotor hats and perimeter and it has held up well for five years now.
Thanks, yeah was thinking about doing them black. I want to do the calipers red to match the car. Thought about doing the rotor areas in the same color, but not sure how that would look. Maybe do the Calipers black as well, definitely need something other than the stock gray or silver or whatever that stock color is.

Like to find some decent pics with the rotors painted. Have any pics of yours?
Old 02-14-2019, 04:14 AM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

Used black caliper paint as well almost 3 years ago and it’s still good.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:02 AM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Was looking at my buddies base 2008 and his rotors being different don't seem to have the same rusting issue. Is this something specific to the GrandSport/Z06 brakes? Unless the previous owner sanded that area before, not sure why it would be rusting there. I sanded it off, but it cam back very quickly. Maybe can just sand it again and put a sealant on it. Guess black would look good though, especially if I do the calipers black, though really like to get the calipers to match the car, but think doing the same on the rotors would be too "blingy"
Old 02-14-2019, 11:13 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,673 Likes on 1,296 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by enventr
Used black caliper paint as well almost 3 years ago and it’s still good.
I did that as well and no more problem.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:18 AM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 178 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by SPSandman
Was looking at my buddies base 2008 and his rotors being different don't seem to have the same rusting issue. Is this something specific to the GrandSport/Z06 brakes? Unless the previous owner sanded that area before, not sure why it would be rusting there. I sanded it off, but it cam back very quickly. Maybe can just sand it again and put a sealant on it. Guess black would look good though, especially if I do the calipers black, though really like to get the calipers to match the car, but think doing the same on the rotors would be too "blingy"
Nope, I think all OEM rotors come with primer gray or cold galvanizing to help keep them from rusting. Wait until you wash the car, you can see the contact area oxidize in realtime.

DBA rotors come pre-painted too. I like them for track use, but then I'm not running a BBK (yet).
Old 02-14-2019, 12:35 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

"...rust around the inside inner portion of the contact area..." Do you mean there is rust on some of the area contacted by the pads? If so, do not put any coating over that area, as it will transfer into the pads, and affect braking, as well as decrease pad/rotor life. Some rotors have factory coatings on them, but you cannot effectively duplicate that at home.

If I misread it, I apologize.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:07 PM
RickC6
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I think that he is talking about the rotor hat and a small section of the rotor which is not in the pad sweep area. I have the j55 brakes on my base car with aftermarket rotors and I have a ring about a half inch or so wide where the pad does not come in contact with the rotor. In my case, the aftermarket rotors cause this problem because the stock j55 rotors have a modified hat which doesn’t leave the excess rotor area. I am not sure about the GS brakes. I have attached a photo of mine which were just cleaned at the time, but you can see where the inside ring is that instantly rusts when it gets wet. I have been thinking about painting or sealing this area myself.

Last edited by RickC6; 02-14-2019 at 01:09 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:45 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

stock GS rotors

Old 02-14-2019, 02:46 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,570 Likes on 1,615 Posts

I had the rotors Zinc Plated on my 06 Vert. Never had a rust issue.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:09 PM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
"...rust around the inside inner portion of the contact area..." Do you mean there is rust on some of the area contacted by the pads? If so, do not put any coating over that area, as it will transfer into the pads, and affect braking, as well as decrease pad/rotor life. Some rotors have factory coatings on them, but you cannot effectively duplicate that at home.

If I misread it, I apologize.
Yeah RickC is correct. It isn't where the pads comes in contact with the rotor. It is the little dip channel that goes around on the inside, about the width of a finger, and then around the hat area where the wheel is attached. I probably made it worse when I sanded off the rust initially with a dremel as I sanded down some other areas that weren't really rusty and now it is as well. I am guessing they are coated when they were new and maybe the original owner or the dealer cleaned that area and may have removed the coating. I will take a picture when I head out to show what I mean.
It is the area on Jughead's pictures (as well as RickC's) that is grayish/greenish as well as the "black" ring that is just inside of the contact area on the rotors.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:00 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,763 Likes on 1,127 Posts

I painted the area you are describing using flat black BBQ paint. Tremclad / Rustoleum makes it. I bought a small can, and used a 1/2" brush. I did this at the time I removed the wheels to clean the barrels, but there was no need to remove the calipers and rotors. I was just careful with the brush, and maybe overlapped into the sweep area by 1/8" deliberately to get a clean edge later. I had to do this in two stages: first, paint what you can, because the area close to the bottom of the calipers can't be done on the rear wheels without rotating the rotors a bit. You can rotate the fronts easily and paint everything.. You can paint the hat as well just don't get any paint on the lug nut studs, or you will end up over tightening the lug nuts. After the wheels are put back on, you can move the car a bit to expose the small area that you couldn't paint on the rear wheels, and then reach through the spokes with the small brush, and finish the job. This is what the end result looked like, and pretty much looks the same after 12,000 miles. I can always touch it up again when I clean the barrels, or just reach through the spokes again with the brush. BTW, because the paint has no luster, you will not see any brush marks.

Last edited by FatsWaller; 02-15-2019 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Corrected for rear wheels.
The following users liked this post:
SPSandman (02-15-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 05:13 PM
MTsVette
Drifting

Location: O'Fallon Illinois - Currently own a 2016 Z06 1LZ A8 Coupe
Received 95 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by HBsurfer
I painted my rotor hats high temp silver. The tarnished, old look wasn't appealing.

MT//
Old 02-14-2019, 06:09 PM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,682 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by FatsWaller
I painted the area you are describing using flat black BBQ paint..
Me too, all four hats and the ring on the rears. Still looks good two years later. I tried taking a pic but my garage is too dark to show any detail. I wouldn't paint them red or any other color, you want to bring the eyes to the wheels and calipers, not the ugly hub area.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:32 PM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

You could always zinc plate them at home yourself.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:31 AM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by FatsWaller
I painted the area you are describing using flat black BBQ paint. Tremclad / Rustoleum makes it. I bought a small can, and used a 1/2" brush. I did this at the time I removed the wheels to clean the barrels, but there was no need to remove the calipers and rotors. I was just careful with the brush, and maybe overlapped into the sweep area by 1/8" deliberately to get a clean edge later. I had to do this in two stages: first, paint what you can, because the area close to the bottom of the calipers can't be done yet. You can paint the hat as well just don't get any paint on the lug nut studs, or you will end up over tightening the lug nuts. After the wheels are put back on, you can move the car a bit to expose the small area that you couldn't paint, and then reach through the spokes with the small brush, and finish the job. This is what the end result looked like, and pretty much looks the same after 12,000 miles. I can always touch it up again when I clean the barrels, or just reach through the spokes again with the brush. BTW, because the paint has no luster, you will not see any brush marks.
Thanks, yeah will definitely be doing that as the rust is driving me crazy. Were the wheels sealed with something when it was new and wears off, or was this a thing even when new? Hopefully the former and it was simply some brake cleaning by someone that resulted in wearing that away.

Originally Posted by 919cw313
Me too, all four hats and the ring on the rears. Still looks good two years later. I tried taking a pic but my garage is too dark to show any detail. I wouldn't paint them red or any other color, you want to bring the eyes to the wheels and calipers, not the ugly hub area.
Yeah that is what I am thinking as well. I definitely want to do the calipers, but agree that the inside of the rotor would be a distraction in matching red as well. Think the black will look best and I will probably do that this weekend since it is a three day weekend. Not sure if I will have the time to do the calipers now, and want to get the stickers I guess it would be as well. Didn't realize the corvette writing on the calipers was painted on as a bit of it started to smear when I put brake cleaner on them when I was changing the pads. Started rubbing there a bit and the letters started to smear a bit. Stopped as soon as I saw it, but not a huge deal and not noticeable and will be covered in red soon. Speaking of which is there a place that sells the Corvette decals to put back on the calipers, that matches the design on it now? I have the GS Calipers, so they are just like Jughead's and FatsWaller's.

Originally Posted by PCMusicGuy
Yeah I was reading up on that as well. Think I will go the black paint route, but may change my mind. Would that last longer, or just give it a different look than a gray or a black paint?

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Last edited by SPSandman; 02-15-2019 at 09:34 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Rusty Rotors

Old 02-15-2019, 11:38 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by johnodrake
I had the rotors Zinc Plated on my 06 Vert. Never had a rust issue.
Originally Posted by PCMusicGuy

I had mine zinc plated locally 12+ years ago. Still look great with no rust.

Old 04-19-2019, 05:05 PM
CamarosRus
Melting Slicks

Received 936 Likes on 600 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I THINK that ZINC PLATING looks Very Good Very Professional
Old 04-19-2019, 06:57 PM
CamarosRus
Melting Slicks

Received 936 Likes on 600 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified