C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Order of Operations - Paint Calipers, Change Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 09:41 AM
Fleet2
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Order of Operations - Paint Calipers, Change Brakes

This Spring, I'm planning to change the rotors / pads on my C6. I'm picking out my pads/rotors now. Then it occurred to me, that as long as I have everything apart, I might as well paint the calipers as well. I will be painting with a G2 kit with a brush.

I see 3 options:
1 - Paint the calipers (while installed) before changing the brakes. Advantage is I can clean the calipers and not worry about being spot on with the paint brush. Disadvantage is I worry I may mess up the paint job when changing the brakes and closing everything up again.
2 - Paint the calipers (while installed) after changing the brake pads / rotors and everything is closed up. I'd clean the calipers prior to changing everything, and just need to be careful with the paint brush.
3 - Paint the calipers while it is hung up after I take out the pads. I would have more access as the pads wouldn't be there, but I'm not sure I can paint effectively with the caliper in that position.

How would you do this, assuming a paint brush approach for painting, and not willing to disconnect brake lines. I'm not going to be disconnecting and painting on the side.

Thanks!
Old 02-19-2019, 07:15 AM
Cedar
Pro

Received 142 Likes on 94 Posts

I did mine a few years ago using the G2 kit. The most important thing to remember is the cleaner you get the calipers the nicer the job will turn out. I first removed my brake pads, washed my calipers really good with soap and water to remove all the brake dust. Then I scuffed the calipers with a 3M pad, cleaned the calipers again. I opened up the G2 kit and saw the application brush was an acid brush so I want to Walmart and bought a little bit bigger brush ( 1" ) for a dollar. I had enough paint to put 2 coats on mine and they look great and to this day they still do.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:00 AM
Curt D
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Removed them and do a fluid change at the same time
Old 02-19-2019, 03:30 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

Paint your calipers and brackets first, much better if they are off the car. The parts must be squeaky clean and free of any grease or oil or the paint will not stick. If the calipers and brackets are on the car use the G2 brush paint kit and be careful to tape everything off where you don't want to paint. Polish off the CORVETTE letter buy using a paint stick wrapped on the end with #400 grit wet/dry paper. Go slow and the job will turn out great.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:35 PM
jchappies
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Take the old pads out...do not paint with them in place. You will want to paint behind the area where the pads are and where the clips are.
Paint prep is key and removing everything will give you access to making sure its all clean.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:44 PM
2reverb
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice job! Spray I assume? I'd like to use the G2 paint but want to keep the "Corvette" in silver like yours.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:01 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by 2reverb
Nice job! Spray I assume? I'd like to use the G2 paint but want to keep the "Corvette" in silver like yours.
See post #4. Use #400 grit wet/dry paper on the end of a paint stick and gently sand the face of the CORVETTE letters. It also polishes them.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:05 AM
Boostedsvt
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Take the calipers off the car. Use the pictured tool to clamp off the brake lines once removed to keep the fluid from draining out. Spend lots of time in the prep work. I used tons of brake cleaner and a toothbrush sized wire brush to clean them. The G2 system is awesome but be prepared to hurry and paint all 4 calipers at once, maybe get someone to help as the paint sets kind of quickly. I did mine in pairs, taking my time and the second pair I did, I wasn’t really happy with the paint application, more work. Buy a couple of quality small paint brushes too. Very important to let them sit afterwards to dry/cure/harden, whatever. I let mine sit a week before reinstallation. After the paint has completely cured, take a stiff sanding block, I used a 60/80 grit block from Walmart, and sand the Corvette letters, letting them be bare. Picked up a can of silver caliper paint at Oreilly and did my brake rotors. I have access to a brake lathe so I mounted the rotors up and turned it on, not cutting them but spinning them while I painted. I’ve done this for years on every brake rotor I paint, use light coats and you’ll cover everything equally, looks like brand new.

Last edited by Boostedsvt; 02-20-2019 at 05:07 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Order of Operations - Paint Calipers, Change Brakes

Quick Reply: Order of Operations - Paint Calipers, Change Brakes