C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a C6 off Ebay Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 05:41 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,430 Likes on 2,795 Posts

Originally Posted by J3TVETTE
Here is the car in question...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-Chevro...pca4P0&vxp=mtr

1. Looks like someone added Z51 emblems on the side, brake caliper covers (I don't know why anyone would), billet grille, etc.
2. I think $24,500 is not a bargain by any means. Even with 19k miles, I think I would buy an 08+ LS3.
3. I don't think the car is SUPER clean. The drivers seat has wear, motor looks like its never been detailed, etc. I think you can do better.
Forget all that, those wheels are terrible looking. Minus the wheels, it's a good price for a low mile car. It's not a rare color or anything, should be plenty more of them.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:25 PM
Capn Hook
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Just my opinion, but never get into a hurry to burn money.
There will ALWAYS be time for a thorough inspection!
There will ALWAYS be another car!
Old 02-20-2019, 07:03 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

It’s possible to get a great car at a good price or you can get totally butchered. Way to much of a crapshoot if you can’t actually have your feet, hands and eyes on what you’re thinking of purchasing. Letting a so called “expert” inspect it for you is another crapshoot.

Last edited by saplumr; 02-20-2019 at 07:04 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:14 PM
jimijam
Melting Slicks

Received 936 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
I disagree.
Of course you do. I had three cars inspected by chevy service departments, along with peaking in their database for service history. Two of the cars were private party, the third was from a non-chevy dealer. I bought one of them.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:32 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Forget all that, those wheels are terrible looking. Minus the wheels, it's a good price for a low mile car. It's not a rare color or anything, should be plenty more of them.
Those wheels appear WCC 946 3 piece wheels and are anything but cheap.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:50 AM
62fuelie
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

A little more than a year ago we bought a ‘05 6-speed Z-51 convertible with 13000 miles from eBay. Actually I just found the car on eBay and made the deal outside of eBays umbrella. While this was my 16th Corvette, only four had been from the “modern era”. These included 2 ‘94’s, a’97, and a 98. It came from a dealer on the east coast that specializes in high end autos. He had lots of pictures that showed a lot of details. Car fax was unremarkable. I made a deal from 1000 miles away. When the car arrived the only surprise was that they shipped it with the top down. Fortunately it was a dry day, ‘cause I was clueless about how to raise the top. Our ‘98 had a manual top and this one was electric. I finally figured it out after I got it in the garage. The key fob battery was dead and only got one fob and key. Got that issue corrected right away. The friendly local Chevy dealer only wanted about $350 for a
fob and key. Got one on line for about $75 and programmed it myself. Tires looked real good, but were 13 yo. Replaced the Goodyears with Michskins for about $1100. After the old tires were dismounted we inspected the inside of the casings and they looked fine. However, no chances with a car that will go that fast. We paid $24,700 for the car delivered to our house in an enclosed carrier. To this day it still smells like new inside, though we’ve put close to 3000
miles on it. We had it with us out at the campground for a few days and the first nice day it’s gonna get a good cleaning inside and out.

05vert
The following users liked this post:
mefly2 (05-31-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 07:28 AM
JohnnieUtah
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by J3TVETTE
Here is the car in question...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-Chevro...pca4P0&vxp=mtr

1. Looks like someone added Z51 emblems on the side, brake caliper covers (I don't know why anyone would), billet grille, etc.
2. I think $24,500 is not a bargain by any means. Even with 19k miles, I think I would buy an 08+ LS3.
3. I don't think the car is SUPER clean. The drivers seat has wear, motor looks like its never been detailed, etc. I think you can do better.
Just want to confirm to everyone, yes this is the car. I'm so glad we have some brothers on here who can offer no holds barred opinions. I appreciated everyone's candidness. Thanks for pointing out the interior wear amongst other things. I thought the interior looked a little worn but I said must be my imagination because its a 19K mile car. And yes, even though those wheels cost a lot (which I confirmed), I'm not sure I'm totally convinced with liking them either as one person pointed out. To re-cap, I did speak with the owner last night for giggles. He is about 60 years old, bought the car with 5000 miles on her back in 2008. He's had the oil changed with Mobil One every 3K miles and the rear end lube done at 16K. Other than that no other issues. He turned down offers at 21-22K on Ebay. I think he's trying to recoup on the wheels. Thanks to all for pointing out to take my time to hold out for an '08 LS3 for about the same price...I probably will. I was set to fly out to CA until I read everyone's comments.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:15 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Originally Posted by saplumr
Those wheels appear WCC 946 3 piece wheels and are anything but cheap.
I never said they were cheap, just ugly. They may be expensive, but they're still ugly. If I bought the car I'd have to factor in some new wheels, and I suspect finding someone who wants to buy those wheels is hard, so they have no value to me. I would say it'll be 1200 for a better looking set of wheels and tires.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:26 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Originally Posted by jimijam
Of course you do. I had three cars inspected by chevy service departments, along with peaking in their database for service history. Two of the cars were private party, the third was from a non-chevy dealer. I bought one of them.
My comments were more based around the cars that are SUPER cheap. This car is being offered at market price.

If you're paying bargain prices for a car, its unreasonable to expect top dollar treatment. If you're paying above market price, sure an inspection is fair. But if the car is priced for a quick sale, asking to have it inspected as well is over the top.

It is funny to me how **** people get about stuff like this. These are not crazy exotic or expensive cars. They're priced like a nice f150, but people act like they're buying a lambo countach. Would you insist on having an inspection done on a 60k mile f150? Probably not. But spend the same money for a corvette and you need to have the original assembler lol it over to make sure it's exactly as he remembers it as well as oil samples from each oil change and DNA samples for each tech that touched it, lol.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:23 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I never said they were cheap, just ugly. They may be expensive, but they're still ugly. If I bought the car I'd have to factor in some new wheels, and I suspect finding someone who wants to buy those wheels is hard, so they have no value to me. I would say it'll be 1200 for a better looking set of wheels and tires.
There was a time when I had those wheels and I obviously didn't think they were ugly but I'll accept your insult graciously. Just a little FYI....I sold mine 7 years old for $2500 with no problem.
The following 2 users liked this post by saplumr:
JohnnieUtah (03-06-2019), Not So Fast (02-21-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 09:16 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Originally Posted by saplumr
There was a time when I had those wheels and I obviously didn't think they were ugly but I'll accept your insult graciously. Just a little FYI....I sold mine 7 years old for $2500 with no problem.
Beauty is in the eye of their beholder. I dont like those wheels but I'm glad you sold them easily.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:41 PM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

Personally, I have one simple rule when it comes to purchasing used vehicles; just as with buying a house, I would never do so without seeing/checking it out myself and having it inspected. For those that have done so with good results, great; however, given all the horror stories I've heard, I am not willing to take that kind of risk.
JohnnieUtah (02-21-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 10:32 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Not too difficult, especially with a BIN item. Send him a message telling him you will pay his price within 5 days following "a GM dealer inspection, completed within 5 days, and which meets (your) approval". Tell him he must write back to you with his approval to that term, and end the auction.

Now, the onus is on him, not you, to get the inspection, unless he writes and asks you to pay for it. If he does, you can decide. If you and he decide to move forward with an inspection, once the inspection is finished, regardless of the result, you can conclude the sale, or void it. You DID NOT agree to purchase "if an inspection uncovers no problem", or similar wording....you agreed to view the results of the inspection, and if they meet your approval, you will conclude the sale. This gives you time to arrange financing, if necessary, or even to fly to see the vehicle, without having to buy it. And, if you change your mind, all you have to do is not approve of the results of the inspection, regardless what the results are.

Yes, I know it is a "weasel" clause, but when you are buying sight unseen, you NEED a weasel clause, and this is one ebay will support you on.

Last edited by buckmeister2; 02-21-2019 at 10:35 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:17 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

I am pretty sure that standard ebay policy is that inspections must be done prior to completion of the auction.

Let's be real here, the inspection is going to turn up something. Tires worn to 40%, pads worn to 50%, coolant could be changed, it's a used car, SOMETHING is going to be less than brand new perfect. We are going to say that it's fair to pull out of a binding contract because we expected the seller to pay for an inspection out of pocket, and since it turned up something we shouldnt have to buy the car? Get real!

Ebay is simple. You bid, you and contractually bound to buy the item at that price. No weasle clauses, no asking for the seller to take on expense after the fact, no expecting them to fix things after the sale. Unless they offer a warranty or something like that, it's a done deal when that auction ends. If you want something answered, done, or want to see it in person, you do it before the auction ends. A lot of sellers will let you inspect in person after the fact, but ebay rules say you do it beforehand.

People have some pretty absurd demands as a buyer that we all know they wouldnt agree to as the seller...
Old 02-22-2019, 05:55 AM
Cockroach
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 97 Posts

ebay which I like, will not back up a seller or buyer that decides not to buy or sell said vehicle, despite the claim of contract of winning bid ect. I won an auction for a Range Rover Sport and the seller never contacted me or returned my numerous message requests. I contacted ebay and they claimed there's nothing they can do if the seller backs out of the sale as long as a payment was never accepted. This one bad experience didn't taint my ebay car buying and I moved on and have been "lucky" so far.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:32 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

I am pretty sure that standard ebay policy is that inspections must be done prior to completion of the auction.

Let's be real here, the inspection is going to turn up something. Tires worn to 40%, pads worn to 50%, coolant could be changed, it's a used car, SOMETHING is going to be less than brand new perfect. We are going to say that it's fair to pull out of a binding contract because we expected the seller to pay for an inspection out of pocket, and since it turned up something we shouldnt have to buy the car? Get real!

Ebay is simple. You bid, you and contractually bound to buy the item at that price. No weasle clauses, no asking for the seller to take on expense after the fact, no expecting them to fix things after the sale. Unless they offer a warranty or something like that, it's a done deal when that auction ends. If you want something answered, done, or want to see it in person, you do it before the auction ends. A lot of sellers will let you inspect in person after the fact, but ebay rules say you do it beforehand.

People have some pretty absurd demands as a buyer that we all know they wouldnt agree to as the seller...
Fauee...not a word you have said about buying a car on ebay is true. Ebay does not control the process other than the bid amounts and the end date. All else is negotiable. You want me to get real???? How about you realizing that fully 1 out of 4 ebay vehicle deals results in a vehicle purchased that was in worse condition than expressed, after which ebay does NOTHING to help the buyer party. It is both buyer and seller beware.

You obviously have little experience purchasing vehicles on ebay. You may not like tactics that I mention can be used, but you don't have to like them. I was answering the OP's question...you did nothing to answer it.

Old 02-22-2019, 10:42 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
Fauee...not a word you have said about buying a car on ebay is true. Ebay does not control the process other than the bid amounts and the end date. All else is negotiable. You want me to get real???? How about you realizing that fully 1 out of 4 ebay vehicle deals results in a vehicle purchased that was in worse condition than expressed, after which ebay does NOTHING to help the buyer party. It is both buyer and seller beware.

You obviously have little experience purchasing vehicles on ebay. You may not like tactics that I mention can be used, but you don't have to like them. I was answering the OP's question...you did nothing to answer it.
You're right, I've never bought a car off ebay. Bought other expensive stuff, but if it's as bad as you claim, I'm just gonna steer clear. Not worth the trouble as a buyer or a seller.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:07 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

You're right, I've never bought a car off ebay. Bought other expensive stuff, but if it's as bad as you claim, I'm just gonna steer clear. Not worth the trouble as a buyer or a seller.
I fully understand that reasoning, and have been more prone to agree over the last few years. As one of our most popular forum members found out fairly recently, ebay is a seller's market in that there is little recourse that a dissatisfied buyer can take that will ever make things right . For that reason, and that alone, I would use a weasel clause as a buyer if I sensed that something might not be right. Not saying it is 100% ethical, but it is nearly 100% effectve.

Thank you for understanding.

Jim
Old 02-23-2019, 09:14 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

I would never buy a used car with looking at it with my own eyeballs,ROAD TRIP!!
mefly2 (05-28-2019)

Quick Reply: Buying a C6 off Ebay Question