C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a C6 off Ebay Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 10:40 PM
JohnnieUtah
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Buying a C6 off Ebay Question

I would love to know how any of you approached and secured a C6 off of Ebay. I ask because I found one that I really like but it was closing in like 8 hours. How does one get an inspection on a car thats 11 hours away before hitting the buy it now button. And let's say you have a week and secure the services of someone to inspect it for you. During that whole time you could lose your money on the inspector because someone could hit buy it now. I don't get it. There seems to be a lot of risk involved. I told the guy I will buy his car but there is no way to get it inspected or seen by me within 8 hours...how do you want to proceed...no answer yet. I knew about this car days ago but only today did he update the crappy pics.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:44 PM
jaki30
Melting Slicks

Received 514 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

He only updated the pictures 8 hrs before it ended?
Old 02-19-2019, 10:55 PM
JohnnieUtah
Pro

Originally Posted by jaki30
He only updated the pictures 8 hrs before it ended?
. I believe so. It took a while. He has been getting back to me with answers to my questions but the picture updates for the interior took a while.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:57 PM
jimijam
Melting Slicks

Received 936 Likes on 582 Posts

Chevrolet dealers will do pre-purchase inspections. Find one that sells and services a lot of Vettes. When he gets there with the car, you can speak to the service manager and tell him your situation and that you'd like a phone call by his mechanic when the inspection is done. Also ask them to pull the service/repair history from their system and email it to you. You should be able to pay with your Cc over the phone.

Last edited by jimijam; 02-19-2019 at 10:59 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by jimijam:
Andysherman (02-20-2019), JohnnieUtah (02-19-2019), Remmyman (02-20-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 11:02 PM
jimijam
Melting Slicks

Received 936 Likes on 582 Posts

Do not buy it until you have it inspected. If it hasn't sold by now, it isn't selling at 1am and will just get relisted. He's got you on the hook so don't rush over a cliff. Unless this is a unicorn, you can find that exact car all over California right now.
The following 3 users liked this post by jimijam:
JohnnieUtah (02-19-2019), koreanbeefcake (02-21-2019), theandrewo (02-25-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 07:15 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,431 Likes on 2,796 Posts

I disagree. On Ebay, you're using what you can see. If you're buying it from a dealership, then maybe. But to expect someone to go through hoops for you to get a car inspected? Come on, there are plenty of other bidders out there who dont want to make him jump through hoops. And imagine if EVERY bidder wanted their own inspections. The guy wouldnt have time to get every inspection in even if he made it his full time job.

If you want to get a car inspected, buy from a dealership.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:21 AM
JohnnieUtah
Pro

Originally Posted by FAUEE
I disagree. On Ebay, you're using what you can see. If you're buying it from a dealership, then maybe. But to expect someone to go through hoops for you to get a car inspected? Come on, there are plenty of other bidders out there who dont want to make him jump through hoops. And imagine if EVERY bidder wanted their own inspections. The guy wouldnt have time to get every inspection in even if he made it his full time job.

If you want to get a car inspected, buy from a dealership.
Screw that! I won't do it that way again. Four years ago I did that and was I ever burned. No inspection ...no sale. Too many others out there that will do it.

Last edited by JohnnieUtah; 02-20-2019 at 02:10 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:59 AM
Andysherman
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Inspection is key, & worth risking losing the deal as opposed to ending up having to spend thousands of dollars to resolve issues that the inspection would have detailed. Before I finally bought mine, I went to see a hundred cars, & the ones I made offers on were all inspected... the fifth try was on the car I currently have, from a Chevy dealer off of CarGurus... got to look at the car with the tech, & dealer replaced diff seals, rear tires, & RS cat... the tires would have been $700 just by themselves, diff seal is an 8hr flat rate job, & plus the cost of the cat. Due diligence, my friend, pays off... use eBay for price comparisons, but probably wouldn't buy there unless the car is fairly local to you...
Old 02-20-2019, 09:38 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,431 Likes on 2,796 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnieUtah
Screw that! I won't do it the way our saying again. Four years ago I did that and was I ever burned. No inspection ...no sale. Too many others out there that will do it.
Heres my question. What was it about this car you liked? Honestly. Was it the price? I bet it was the price. When you're paying rock bottom prices, you cant expect top dollar service.

Plenty of dealerships out there that will let you get an inspection, but you won't get that "I need meth money" price.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:15 AM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnieUtah
Screw that! I won't do it the way our saying again. Four years ago I did that and was I ever burned. No inspection ...no sale. Too many others out there that will do it.
Wow! There are no guarantees no matter which way you plan on proceeding. Even with an inspection, car fax, etc., you can still get screwed. Best bet is to limit yourself to cars you are willing to visit in person. That could be any amount of distance, just depends on how far you are willing to travel, either driving or flying. EBay, in my opinion is not the best place to purchase a car so buyer beware. An inspection can only do so much, and even that depends on the person conducting the inspection. New cars leave a dealership showroom and end up being lemons. And as far as used cars, acceptable condition is conditional on the buyer and the price you are willing to pay, and you are the only one who can make that determination.
The following users liked this post:
JohnnieUtah (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 10:33 AM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

I'm a lot closer and better looking
NSF
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...cpe-a-6-a.html
Kidding aside take it from me as one who just got screwed big time because I believed in humanity being all good, I bought a truck on EBay unseen in person but with video that made it look very good, until it arrived here from Washington, POS is what showed up, and BUY IT THRU EBAY or you have no protection whatsoever. BUYER BEWARE
NSF
The following 2 users liked this post by Not So Fast:
JohnnieUtah (02-20-2019), koreanbeefcake (02-21-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 10:34 AM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,239 Likes on 910 Posts

I would never buy a Corvette sight unseen from anywhere. Way too much risk involved.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:13 AM
RichKiss
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

Too many horror stories on cars from Ebay. I wouldn't buy a car off them at all. Risk is too great. Especially without some kind of inspection.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:38 AM
Cockroach
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 97 Posts

I purchased my C6 from ebay the same night I sold my Viper on ebay. I also sold 2 of my 71 Charger's on ebay all with great success. I think the key is to know the value of the item your interested in and most importantly to only buy from a reputable seller with a high rating. Ask lots of questions and request additional pictures/video, an honest seller will not hesitate to provide you with ANY information you are requesting. I put very little value on 3rd party inspections because if they do not know the ins and outs of the car they are inspecting they may miss important issues. When I sold my restored 71 RT the buyer paid for a inspection and I had to explain and show the inspector what he was looking at, he had no clue what a B body Mopar was or what to look for. I will admit while I was waiting for my Vette to arrive I was a little nervous, unloading it and then looking it over it was exactly as the seller described. One last thing, ask the seller to send the title USPS and get insurance on said vehicle asap that way if its damage during shipping you can make a claim. Good luck
The following users liked this post:
JohnnieUtah (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 02:13 PM
JohnnieUtah
Pro

Originally Posted by FAUEE
Heres my question. What was it about this car you liked? Honestly. Was it the price? I bet it was the price. When you're paying rock bottom prices, you cant expect top dollar service.

Plenty of dealerships out there that will let you get an inspection, but you won't get that "I need meth money" price.
It was not the price but the color and options and low mileage...19K miles to be exact for a 2007. Price was $24.5K
Old 02-20-2019, 04:17 PM
truggiero19
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I purchased my GS on Ebay as well. However, I did not use Ebay to finalize the purchase. I emailed the seller and worked with him directly. After communicating with him I booked a flight from Houston to Miami, inspected the car myself, withdrew my downpayment from Chase and went with him to my bank to finalize the loan and get his cashier's check. We then went to his bank, paid off his loan and transferred the title. I was driving my new GS back towards Houston later that night.

I would not purchase a vehicle sight unseen. I was fully prepared to purchase a return flight and fly home if the vehicle was in worse shape than I was anticipating or was advertised.

Last edited by truggiero19; 02-20-2019 at 04:17 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:02 PM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 405 Likes on 290 Posts

Here is the car in question...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-Chevro...pca4P0&vxp=mtr

1. Looks like someone added Z51 emblems on the side, brake caliper covers (I don't know why anyone would), billet grille, etc.
2. I think $24,500 is not a bargain by any means. Even with 19k miles, I think I would buy an 08+ LS3.
3. I don't think the car is SUPER clean. The drivers seat has wear, motor looks like its never been detailed, etc. I think you can do better.

Get notified of new replies

To Buying a C6 off Ebay Question

Old 02-20-2019, 05:05 PM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

I bought two C6's from ebay sellers. Wait until the auction is over. Someone else buys it, so be it. There is no sense jumping through hoops while auction is running, wasting time and money. Both mine were great cars and great buys.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:21 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,210 Likes on 822 Posts

More than likely if it has a buy it now price it is also listed somewhere else so its been listed on mutiple sites also so it will very likely still be there after the end....There is no need to rush...do the needful to suit you and no one else. There are plenty of these cars in great condition still available and will be for a quite awhile yet if it did sell imo....

edit for looks like it closed...I agree with others you can find that car in an 08 or later for those dollars. Will be interesting what it will be re-opened.

Last edited by hawkgfr; 02-20-2019 at 05:34 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:22 PM
SSWEET
Race Director

Received 212 Likes on 134 Posts

I sort of had an eBay Corvette buy. Car listing ended without reaching the reserve. I contacted the seller while it was still being listed on eBay and told him to contact me if it didn't sell. He did...we agreed on a price if I wanted it. We had a state in-between where we both lived. I met him at a mid point in the neighboring state,
drove the car and made the deal. The actual purchase wasn't much different than buying any used car.

Last edited by SSWEET; 02-20-2019 at 05:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Buying a C6 off Ebay Question