C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rpm Roll Bar Installation Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 12:32 PM
KY_C5
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rpm Roll Bar Installation Issues

I have been in the process of installing the RPM 6 point cage I bought. The problem I am having is with the door bars. It just doesnt seem like the foot mount and door bars are lining up right.
I have the foot mount butted up as close as possible to the outside of the car as possible. Even so when I drill the holes through the floor board, the bolts are only partially in the metal of the car. It seems like those bolts should definitely go entirely through the metal strip under neath the car. The second issue is the foot mount has to have a steep angle in order for the door bar to be inside both the foot mount and the main hoop hasp for door bar. The foot mount comes with a spacer plate but there is still a quarter inch gap even with the spacer plate under the foot mount. It seems like this isn't going to do anything for safety. Below are some pics. Ive had a friend over to help me do the install who builds roll cages and turbo manifolds, etc for a living, just to make sure I wasn't doing something terribly wrong. He also thinks theres something not right with the parts I got. Does ANYONE have any input on this?? Thanks fellas.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:41 PM
KY_C5
Instructor

Old 03-02-2019, 12:44 PM
KY_C5
Instructor

here is the footmount as close as it can get to outside of car
Old 03-31-2019, 12:03 AM
FURBY LOC"S
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I’m having same issue on the foot mounts for the door bars it seems like the place closest to the front has to be lifted from the floor so the door bar goes int good
Old 03-31-2019, 01:44 PM
KY_C5
Instructor

Have you been able to get any update from RPM on the issue? Im also not real satisfied with the foot mount bolts only going through the composite material not any metal. I don't see how that is making anything safer?
Old 03-31-2019, 03:22 PM
FURBY LOC"S
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I emailed them they said footwells are tricky but I will call them on Monday did u not get big long metal plates ? they go underneath car so they act as subframes so u can tighten nuts
Old 03-31-2019, 07:24 PM
KY_C5
Instructor

Originally Posted by FURBY LOC"S
I emailed them they said footwells are tricky but I will call them on Monday did u not get big long metal plates ? they go underneath car so they act as subframes so u can tighten nuts
I did get those I just don’t think they are going to make it that safe.
just keep the bolts from ripping through the floorboard. Let me know what they tell you tomorrow if you have time! I’m curious
Old 03-31-2019, 07:48 PM
c6 monkey
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

The next thing on my list is RPM's 8 point roll bar. Please keep updating this thread. If their stuff doesn't fit or thier customer service isn't good I'll go with another company. Thanks
Old 04-07-2019, 12:28 PM
Steve17GS
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Any tips on dropping the gas tanks for the hull brackets?
Old 04-23-2019, 11:31 AM
mmasmitty
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve17GS: You don't have to (At least I didn't) When I installed mine the fuel crossover was plenty low enough. I was able to put my hand up from under the car and feel around to confirm that I had enough room.

OP: I do have a similar complaint with these door bars. On top of fitting poorly, they also are way too short. I've refrained from installing them until I get longer bars bent up so that they actually cover my feet in case of an accident. I know these are supposed to be swing out/ removable, therefore the lower pin has to be accessible, but they do not seem to be safe.

Does anyone else feel the same way I do?

Get notified of new replies

To Rpm Roll Bar Installation Issues

Quick Reply: Rpm Roll Bar Installation Issues