Notices
C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interiors? Are they that bad?

Old 03-10-2019, 09:25 PM
gradywhite931127
CF Senior Member

Default Interiors? Are they that bad?

So Iíve been doing some browsing on C6 Grand Sports lately and have noticed they are dropping pretty nicely in price... and along with that the C7 base stingrays have dropped even more. Iím seeing C6 GS from $28,000 on the low end to $36,000 on the high end and C7 base stingrays from $38,000 on the low end to like $44-45,000 on the higher end. I have long been a C6 fan, I think that it is a very well rounded car and to me the aesthetics especially on the GS is better than any Vette Iíve seen (love the wide rear end with the traditional tail lights, although the C7 Z06 has a beautiful look to it also). Based on that I think my best bet would be to stick with my guns and Iíd be very happy with a C6 GS. Iíve heard people talk down on their interiors and talk very highly of C7 interiors, but assuming you have a 2lt and up C6 GS what really doesnít it have that the C7 has other than the updated software and more modern look and application? The C6 GS has dual climate, push button, nav, backup camera, traction, etc etc etc to me that sounds perfect although sure the C7 is a more modern and updated version, is it really THAT big of a difference?
Old 03-10-2019, 09:32 PM
jimijam
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by gradywhite931127 View Post
is it really THAT big of a difference?
only YOU can decide. go stick your head in one of each. yeah, it's that easy.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:47 PM
TorchRedFred
CF Senior Member

I have a 2012 GS and I don't think the interior is bad at all. The small subtle changes they made over the years went a long way in improving the look of the C6 interior, imo. No offense to anyone who has an early C6, but some of the interior choices GM initially made, especially with the 2005 model, really make you scratch your head, and I believe is the reason C6's gained the stigma of having bad interiors. That being said, the dated looking navigation unit in my 2012 didn't help either and was a source of embarrassment, imo, but I quickly upgraded it with a new modern head unit that brought my car into the modern world.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:48 PM
gradywhite931127
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by jimijam View Post
only YOU can decide. go stick your head in one of each. yeah, it's that easy.
I forgot to mention lol I have been inside both interiors, I was really asking to get other peopleís opinions on it who have also seen and used both.. to me it seems like a trivial difference
Old 03-10-2019, 10:13 PM
owc6
CF Senior Member

Thanked 2,366 Times in 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by gradywhite931127 View Post
I forgot to mention lol I have been inside both interiors, I was really asking to get other peopleís opinions on it who have also seen and used both.. to me it seems like a trivial difference
I have a lot of miles on both, and still drive both regularly, but there is no comparison between a C6 and a C7 interior.

The C7 interior is superior in every way, some other owners complain about the thigh bolsters being tighter as well, but I like the "snugness", as well as there is a small amount of space lost to the passenger due to the "grab handle." The cockpit is much more driver-centric.

The quality of materials used is far superior. Since the car is newer, more tech is involved, access to that tech is there (updated with every MY), and every year becomes incorporated into the car.

The DIC is amazing, IMO, and the HUD is great in comparison with the exception of the lack of turn signals in the HUD.

That's off the top of my head, but will answer any specific questions of interest to you.

One thing that is the same is that both C6 and C7 owners continue to bitch about it not being "good enough!"
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to owc6 For This Useful Post:
carl3989 (03-12-2019), Function Racer (Today), hanks10GS (Today)
Old 03-10-2019, 10:14 PM
TraceZ
CF Senior Member

No C6 ever came factory equipped with a backup camera.

Yes, there is a huge difference in quality in the C7 interior. And options as well. The C7 has several different customizable drive modes. It has a motorized LCD screen that reveals a hidden compartment. It has an option performance data recorder that records audio, video and vehicle telemetry. The C7 competition seats are incredible. The fit is better, the finish is better, the materials are of higher quality. And not only does the C7 have a backup camera, it has a nose camera too.

Last edited by TraceZ; 03-10-2019 at 10:20 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:30 PM
buckmeister2
CF Senior Member

Grady, for whatever reason, C7 owners are dumping their cars like crazy. I checked carmax overall listings the other day for "corvette" and they had 16 C7 and 1 C6! Today, they have 8 C7's and 1 C6 advertised nationally. I realize that is a small sampling, and may not represent a trend, but it has to mean something. Checking craigslist Corvette listing in the West U.S. shows about a 3 to 1 ratio of C7 to C6 for sale.

I like the C7, and am in a position to be able to afford one. But, I don't consider it even close to being beautiful, while I definitely think the C6 is a beautiful car.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:40 PM
gradywhite931127
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred View Post
I have a 2012 GS and I don't think the interior is bad at all. The small subtle changes they made over the years went a long way in improving the look of the C6 interior, imo. No offense to anyone who has an early C6, but some of the interior choices GM initially made, especially with the 2005 model, really make you scratch your head, and I believe is the reason C6's gained the stigma of having bad interiors. That being said, the dated looking navigation unit in my 2012 didn't help either and was a source of embarrassment, imo, but I quickly upgraded it with a new modern head unit that brought my car into the modern world.
I agree with that the first year of the C6 the interior felt like it was far inferior to the exterior look, they started to add little things as the years went on especially in the LS3 cars. True too the head unit can easily be replaced but even the stock one to me gets what you need it to done
Old 03-10-2019, 10:41 PM
gradywhite931127
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by owc6 View Post
I have a lot of miles on both, and still drive both regularly, but there is no comparison between a C6 and a C7 interior.

The C7 interior is superior in every way, some other owners complain about the thigh bolsters being tighter as well, but I like the "snugness", as well as there is a small amount of space lost to the passenger due to the "grab handle." The cockpit is much more driver-centric.

The quality of materials used is far superior. Since the car is newer, more tech is involved, access to that tech is there (updated with every MY), and every year becomes incorporated into the car.

The DIC is amazing, IMO, and the HUD is great in comparison with the exception of the lack of turn signals in the HUD.

That's off the top of my head, but will answer any specific questions of interest to you.

One thing that is the same is that both C6 and C7 owners continue to bitch about it not being "good enough!"
Yeah I hear you. C7 is definitely superior but I often find myself asking if itís superior enough for me to say itís worlds better you know what I mean, youíre right though thatís a common theme itís never good enough! Lol
Old 03-10-2019, 10:44 PM
gradywhite931127
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by TraceZ View Post
No C6 ever came factory equipped with a backup camera.

Yes, there is a huge difference in quality in the C7 interior. And options as well. The C7 has several different customizable drive modes. It has a motorized LCD screen that reveals a hidden compartment. It has an option performance data recorder that records audio, video and vehicle telemetry. The C7 competition seats are incredible. The fit is better, the finish is better, the materials are of higher quality. And not only does the C7 have a backup camera, it has a nose camera too.
Oh thatís right lol whoops🤦*♂️ The C6 I was in had an aftermarket head unit and rear camera. I honestly never thought Iíd need or like a back up camera but now that I have one in my 2015 Mazda it really is a great tool to have. How do you feel about the 2012+ C6 GS seats vs the C7s?
Old 03-10-2019, 10:46 PM
csf
CF Senior Member

I've got a 2013 C6, and its a 3LT GS. So you probably know its pretty much got everything they offered in a C6 except the leather dash, and suede accents in the 4LT. Bluetooth phone ( not music ), USB inputs, nav, heads up display, keyless entry ,Bose stereo, satellite radio, memory heated seats, trip computer, etc. All the basics here except Bluetooth streaming. I've also got the magnetic ride. And the seats are slightly upgraded in the 12 and 13 models.

I love the setup of the interior . . . love the huge clear analog gauges, the simple climate controls, the open feel with plenty of room, and the real emergency brake, etc. The doors are certainly a lot of plastic but no one that rides in the car seems to think its a budget interior.

Basically it looks like an average American car interior. In my 40 years of buying cars, every American interior I've had has looked "different " then my import vehicles. For example, the gauges on my $18000 Accord looked better than the ones in my $50,000 Cadillac. This does not mean I didn't love that Cadillac . . .. I did. I just knew going in the interiors in all of my American purchases would always be a bit of a compromise. Including my GS. But the interior still works great and looks fine.

Recently all of the American companies have really upped their game on their interior materials. Things are much better. But in most cases they still look "different " then the premium imports. Which brings me to the C7. The C7 is absolutely a major upgrade over the C6 in materials, which honestly was a low bar . I have sat in the C7 and its very nice . . . although for me its much tighter ( I'm 6'2 ) and I'm not a big fan of all the digital displays.

I would be thrilled to own a sports car with the C7 interior. But its still looks and feels like it was built to a budget and its still not on the same level as the premium imports. For example, in our family we currently own an Infiniti SUV, a BMW 3 series, and an Audi SQ5. Not to offend anyone, but IN MY OPINION the C7 interior is not on par with any of these vehicles.

I am not saying this is a bad thing as I am still totally satisfied in my C6 GS. I'm just saying the C7 is a major upgrade over a C6 but that doesn't mean its a Lexus.

Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to csf For This Useful Post:
carl3989 (03-12-2019)
Old 03-10-2019, 10:46 PM
gradywhite931127
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by buckmeister2 View Post
Grady, for whatever reason, C7 owners are dumping their cars like crazy. I checked carmax overall listings the other day for "corvette" and they had 16 C7 and 1 C6! Today, they have 8 C7's and 1 C6 advertised nationally. I realize that is a small sampling, and may not represent a trend, but it has to mean something. Checking craigslist Corvette listing in the West U.S. shows about a 3 to 1 ratio of C7 to C6 for sale.

I like the C7, and am in a position to be able to afford one. But, I don't consider it even close to being beautiful, while I definitely think the C6 is a beautiful car.
Yeah itís amazing the C7s are a dime a dozen.. there are also plenty of C6s too but I truthfully think the C6 has a perfect look that will prove to stand the test of time in years to come. I would love a C7 Z06 though too I really like the look of that car vs the base C7 I feel like it adds a more aggressive look and incorporates the rear tail lights in a better manner than the base model
Old 03-10-2019, 10:52 PM
gradywhite931127
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by csf View Post
I've got a 2013 C6, and its a 3LT GS. So you probably know its pretty much got everything they offered in a C6 except the leather dash, and suede accents in the 4LT. Bluetooth phone ( not music ), USB inputs, nav, heads up display, keyless entry ,Bose stereo, satellite radio, memory heated seats, trip computer, etc. All the basics here except Bluetooth streaming. I've also got the magnetic ride. And the seats are slightly upgraded in the 12 and 13 models.

I love the setup of the interior . . . love the huge clear analog gauges, the simple climate controls, the open feel with plenty of room, and the real emergency brake, etc. The doors are certainly a lot of plastic but no one that rides in the car seems to think its a budget interior.

Basically it looks like an average American car interior. In my 40 years of buying cars, every American interior I've had has looked "different " then my import vehicles. For example, the gauges on my $18000 Accord looked better than the ones in my $50,000 Cadillac. This does not mean I didn't love that Cadillac . . .. I did. I just knew going in the interiors in all of my American purchases would always be a bit of a compromise. Including my GS. But the interior still works great and looks fine.

Recently all of the American companies have really upped their game on their interior materials. Things are much better. But in most cases they still look "different " then the premium imports. Which brings me to the C7. The C7 is absolutely a major upgrade over the C6 in materials, which honestly was a low bar . I have sat in the C7 and its very nice . . . although for me its much tighter ( I'm 6'2 ) and I'm not a big fan of all the digital displays.

I would be thrilled to own a sports car with the C7 interior. But its still looks and feels like it was built to a budget and its still not on the same level as the premium imports. For example, in our family we currently own an Infiniti SUV, a BMW 3 series, and an Audi SQ5. Not to offend anyone, but IN MY OPINION the C7 interior is not on par with any of these vehicles.

I am not saying this is a bad thing as I am still totally satisfied in my C6 GS. I'm just saying the C7 is a major upgrade over a C6 but that doesn't mean its a Lexus.

Good luck.
Very true. After all most of its money spent goes towards the performance of the vehicle itself which is what we love about corvettes anyway.. good point as well that although the C7 interior is an upgrade from the C6, itís still not a ďluxuryĒ interior.
Old 03-10-2019, 11:05 PM
FAUEE
CF Senior Member

I have not been impressed with the c7 interior. It has more gizmos, but it doesn't feel any higher quality than my 4lt c6 does. As others have said, the early low pec cars do feel cheap. But later high spec cars, not really. It definitely isn't a new Bentley... but it isn't bad at all. Plus if you want to go even further, just about any piece you can imagine has a leather covering available in the aftermarket.
Old 03-10-2019, 11:20 PM
owc6
CF Senior Member

Thanked 2,366 Times in 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE View Post
I have not been impressed with the c7 interior. It has more gizmos, but it doesn't feel any higher quality than my 4lt c6 does. As others have said, the early low pec cars do feel cheap. But later high spec cars, not really. It definitely isn't a new Bentley... but it isn't bad at all. Plus if you want to go even further, just about any piece you can imagine has a leather covering available in the aftermarket.
That's true about the after market options. Although 99% of all C6s don't have that 4LT interior.

It isn't in competition with a Bentley, nor has it ever even alluded to that. It's a bargain-basement-priced sports car (not a luxury car), that can generally keep it's own against cars many times their price.

It has no affectations like some F.U.-F.U. brands. Uh, oh, I don't think I spelled that right.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:03 AM
hawkgfr
CF Senior Member

I've had both...the materials are better in the c7 but the c6 interior is more of a sports car feel...I can work everything I need with my index finger while its on the shifter in the c6 lol...The gauges are real and work as they should and are very easy to read. There are no cartoons in the c6. The c7 seats with the 2 and 3 lt are nice with the ventilation...BOTH cars rattle and squeak equally as they are full of temperature sensitive noises and rattles...The C7 looks better but is not as roomy to me and the c6 fits my eye better...Though had I bought a manual c7 there is a possibility I would still be in it....as it was I put 35k or so miles on it in almost 3 years with zero issues.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:06 AM
gradywhite931127
CF Senior Member

My favorite C6 is this: The GS Centennial edition, itís absolutely gorgeous and to be honest the interior looks like a decent quality to me I think I could easily live with it, especially after I throw a whipple supercharger on it 😁

Now if I had to choose a C7 Iíd go with this: a 2015-19 Z06 blacked out. Obviously canít compare a Z06 to a GS in any generation but this is the C7 Iíd go with. The rear end is much more feasible to me than the base C7 and it would be a hell of a lot of fun to have 650 stock horses too, along with the upgrade in interior, and red I love a red interior with a black exterior.

The Following User Says Thank You to gradywhite931127 For This Useful Post:
carl3989 (03-12-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 08:23 AM
BadAV
CF Senior Member

I bought and prefer the C6. I plan to continue to enjoy my Centennial GS convertible for the forseeable future.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:54 AM
gradywhite931127
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by FAUEE View Post
This is exactly my line of thinking... sure itís a bit more updated and modern, but is it THAT (huge emphasis on the word that) much of a difference? I didnít think so. The real difference is the performance data recording, the camera, and the driving modes which I will admit are pretty cool features to have but I donít know that it makes a huge difference
Old 03-11-2019, 08:56 AM
gradywhite931127
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by hawkgfr View Post
I've had both...the materials are better in the c7 but the c6 interior is more of a sports car feel...I can work everything I need with my index finger while its on the shifter in the c6 lol...The gauges are real and work as they should and are very easy to read. There are no cartoons in the c6. The c7 seats with the 2 and 3 lt are nice with the ventilation...BOTH cars rattle and squeak equally as they are full of temperature sensitive noises and rattles...The C7 looks better but is not as roomy to me and the c6 fits my eye better...Though had I bought a manual c7 there is a possibility I would still be in it....as it was I put 35k or so miles on it in almost 3 years with zero issues.
Yeah Iíve heard that as well.. some people say the C5ís even had a more sports car and raw feel than the C6 but I donít find that to be true in a base C5, but maybe a C5 Z06. However a C6 Z06 is just as raw and sporty

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Interiors? Are they that bad?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: