C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring gurus, I need help with a switch

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 11:25 PM
heavychevy357
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Wiring gurus, I need help with a switch

I want to know how I should go about wiring up a switch to my mild to wild.

I recently purchased a latching style push button switch and would like for it to control the mild to wild I have installed.

It has an orange LED ring built in and I want it to light up when LOUD(valves open) and turn off when valves are closed(QUIET/mild). It has a red and black wire(+ -) for the LED, two white, and two green wires. The instructions say that it’s made for 5A but anything more than 3A draw continuously needs a relay.

so how do I hook this up using a relay as well as using the mild to wild box/hook ups? The mild to wild has a fob that controls “on” or “off”. I do not want this. I want the new switch to be the only control. I’ll attach pics below of the switch and the instructions and the mild to wild.

mild to wild has a black wire(ground), blue wire(antennae for fob), red and white are together coming from the box to the exhaust fuse in the passenger side panel.

Thanks in advance
Brenton

Last edited by heavychevy357; 03-12-2019 at 05:52 AM.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:27 PM
heavychevy357
Pro

Old 03-11-2019, 11:29 PM
heavychevy357
Pro

Mild to Wild instructions

Switch instructions

Old 03-12-2019, 12:59 AM
Bob Paris
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,292 Likes on 1,047 Posts

[QUOTE=heavychevy357;1599029893]In short I want to know

Since a previous post answered your question... Never say "in short" when you are talking about wiring!
Old 03-12-2019, 01:24 AM
Icecap
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 174 Posts

[QUOTE=Bob Paris;1599030128]
Originally Posted by heavychevy357
In short I want to know

Since a previous post answered your question... Never say "in short" when you are talking about wiring!

My company had to hire an electrician to hook up a lathe that we purchased and when the electrician showed up in a panel van with huge graphics showing a lightning bolt and "Jack Short Electric" I asked him if he ever gets given a bad time about his choice of a company name.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:03 AM
heavychevy357
Pro

[QUOTE=Bob Paris;1599030128]
In short I want to know

Which post answered my question
Old 03-12-2019, 05:46 PM
Bill45
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try a search in c6 general section with "diy mild to wild" There are several posts about doing this.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:01 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

I didn't use a mild to wild box or a light up switch for mine. I got a plain old rocker switch and hid it in the console. I tapped into the fuse panel with an add a circuit that had an inline fuse running to the switch and then back to the add a circuit. Used a 10 amp fuse because that's what gm has. I think that I got a normally on but I can't remember exactly, it's been a couple of years. Anyhow, I do remember that flipping the switch off completes the circuit and it's quiet. flip the switch the on breaks the circuit and it gets loud. er. ish. It still isn't really loud.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:19 PM
heavychevy357
Pro

Originally Posted by Bill45
Try a search in c6 general section with "diy mild to wild" There are several posts about doing this.
I know but I I’m not sure where to land the extra wires I need. I have 6 in total. Seems like way to many. Maybe I should do away with the mild to wild altogether and wire in the switch as the sole function.

Which opens my second question. What to do with the extra wires? I know the LED wires but two for NO and two for NC. Do I just use two NO as one(twisted together) and two NC as one?
Old 03-15-2019, 01:47 AM
Bill45
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For want you want a mild to wild is just a complication. I went to billetautomotivebuttons.com web site. that switch is only rated for 5 amps and the fuse for the npp is I think 10 amps. That switch is too light for your application you could use it but it may not last for long. I would recommend doing what Sox-Fan has done if you can live without a lighted switch. There are some good writeups from people who have already done this. If you really want to use your billetautomotivebuttons switch you will need a relay. Your switch would operate the relay and the relays contacts would switch power to the npp circuit. Wiring for this might best be handled by you local performance shop.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:51 AM
Underachieved
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I know but I I’m not sure where to land the extra wires I need. I have 6 in total. Seems like way to many. Maybe I should do away with the mild to wild altogether and wire in the switch as the sole function.

Which opens my second question. What to do with the extra wires? I know the LED wires but two for NO and two for NC. Do I just use two NO as one(twisted together) and two NC as one?
Do you have any schematics to the relay you plan on using? On the switch you will have a line and load for the led and relay respectfully.
Just make sure the switch and relay both have the correct contact rating.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:23 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Forget the indicator light thing. Grab a footswitch high-low beam switch with the pigtail connector and put it in your dead pedal. Wire it into the fuse location as an on/off switch, done. Just like H/L beams of old.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:34 PM
BigBlok502
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 305 Likes on 220 Posts

It looks like you want to do something similar to what I did, my switch lights up when the NPP valves are closed and quiet. You have a single throw/double pole switch so you will only be using one set of NC/NO contacts, the other set will not be used, unless you want the LED to have its own set of contacts. I don't have a mild to wild, I just added a pneumatic solenoid inline of the vacuum hose going to the NPP valves, it closes off the vacuum line when I want it loud, and opens the line when I want it quiet. Check out my YouTube video:

Last edited by BigBlok502; 03-15-2019 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-23-2019, 10:55 PM
heavychevy357
Pro

[QUOTE=BigBlok502;1599052012]It looks like you want to do something similar to what I did, my switch lights up when the NPP valves are closed and quiet. You have a single throw/double pole switch so you will only be using one set of NC/NO contacts, the other set will not be used, unless you want the LED to have its own set of contacts. I don't have a mild to wild, I just added a pneumatic solenoid inline of the vacuum hose going to the NPP valves, it closes off the vacuum line when I want it loud, and opens the line when I want it quiet. Check out my YouTube video:

Exactly. Thank you Big Block. I want it to light up when loud so I’ll wire it accordingly. I’ll do away with the M2W altogether. I have a relay rated for 30A I’ll be using so to those of you who mentioned that I have it covered. Thanks guys!!

Get notified of new replies

To Wiring gurus, I need help with a switch

Quick Reply: Wiring gurus, I need help with a switch