C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about doing a Wide Booty.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 11:20 AM
jchappies
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

I was in the same boat not to long ago with keeping my base or moving up. I took my car in for an appraisal and dealer was only going to give me 18k for a low mileage 2013 (low balled be). Wife convinced me to keep what i have since it was paid for and do some upgrades. The cars that i was looking were in the high 30's to mid 50's so if i would've had to come up with 15-30k to make the move. My base already had 5K in upgrades (tires, wheels, shocks, swaybar, brakes, splitter, spoiler, side skirt, stereo and LED lighting) that i would've lost all that money on. Needless to say i kept my base and added a supercharger and my next mod will be the wide booty kit, but with all that I'm still under what a GS or Zo6 would have cost me and i don't have any extra car payments. Once i'm done with the wide booty the car will look like a ZO6 and have more HP than a ZR1 plus i'll have the satisfaction of knowing i built it.
The following users liked this post:
Guyzer7 (03-19-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 12:33 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by jchappies
I was in the same boat not to long ago with keeping my base or moving up. I took my car in for an appraisal and dealer was only going to give me 18k for a low mileage 2013 (low balled be). Wife convinced me to keep what i have since it was paid for and do some upgrades. The cars that i was looking were in the high 30's to mid 50's so if i would've had to come up with 15-30k to make the move. My base already had 5K in upgrades (tires, wheels, shocks, swaybar, brakes, splitter, spoiler, side skirt, stereo and LED lighting) that i would've lost all that money on. Needless to say i kept my base and added a supercharger and my next mod will be the wide booty kit, but with all that I'm still under what a GS or Zo6 would have cost me and i don't have any extra car payments. Once i'm done with the wide booty the car will look like a ZO6 and have more HP than a ZR1 plus i'll have the satisfaction of knowing i built it.
Won't you have to buy new wheels and tires for the rear after the upgrade? Or are you going to just drive it with the same size tires as the base?

I'd rather have a real Z06 rather than a fake one, but that's just me. You do what makes you happy.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:39 PM
jchappies
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

I'll probably run a spacer until those wear out then upgrade the wheel and tire combo to 19x12's (won't be long since i'm pushing 550rwhp)
I'd like to keep this car at least 7year or maybe hand it down to one of my sons then move up to a C8 or something down the road.
I have a plan but for now i'm just enjoying what i have...that's what my wife tells me i have to do anyways...lol. I have other car toys i have to support too.

Last edited by jchappies; 03-19-2019 at 12:44 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:46 PM
Guyzer7
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by BadAV
Apples and oranges; you can't compare a 1LT base to a 3LT GS and expect a fair comparison on cost difference.

As far as trade-in, I would bet most dealers wouldn't know enough about a Corvette to realize a rear-only conversion had been done unless you told them.

I personally would sell the base and buy a GS.
I totally agree, I was just using my situation (post #9) as an example. But no matter how you slice them apples, converting a base to a wide body is a whole lot cheaper than buying a GS and trading in will never garner you as much value as a private sale. Other than that, to address the OP's question, any mod done to any car will never recoup the cost(time & money) of the mod when you trade in or sell.

On another note, as I post this, my base model is going through the wide body transformation at the body shop. I also had the opportunity to sound deaden the quarter panels, fender liners and inner wheel wheel before dropping it off. What a difference sound deadening makes to body panels! I already did my doors and they have a nice solid "thud" when you knock on them, same with the quarter panels. Stay thirsty!

Last edited by Guyzer7; 03-19-2019 at 06:32 PM. Reason: added photo
Old 03-19-2019, 12:59 PM
Guyzer7
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 59 Posts

I almost forgot to mention a very important value consideration. When you sell the original quarter panels, liners, ducts, rims and tires that further reduces your actual cost of the conversion. It just keeps getting better!
The following users liked this post:
Tally Ho (04-30-2021)
Old 04-28-2021, 03:23 PM
Maicol Pregnolato
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

wich is the cheaper alternative to rear quarter panels? is something i can do in my driveway with a can of beer?
Old 04-28-2021, 06:25 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,704 Likes on 2,995 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

The cheaper alternative is buying a Grand Sport, when you decide to sell, you will be happy
Old 04-28-2021, 06:33 PM
Maicol Pregnolato
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 449er
The cheaper alternative is buying a Grand Sport, when you decide to sell, you will be happy
how can I buy it in my driveway with a can of beer? 😂 I payed 28k€ for my c6… even a z06 here costs 45k 😅

Quick Reply: Thinking about doing a Wide Booty.