C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More newbie questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 06:05 PM
Vette9c6
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default More newbie questions

Sorry but I learn a lot here. 1st question is what is everyone using for there manuel clutch fluid in the resesvor? Second question is it was showing my left rear tire low, so I added air but it still hasn't changed tire pressure and shoes low? I hope a sensor isn't bad. Any ideas?
Old 03-13-2019, 06:14 PM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 446 Likes on 336 Posts

I believe the fluid to use DOT 4 brake fluid ( double check though ).
are all of your other sensors working correctly?
longshot, but when I had new front tires installed, the shop reversed the TPM sensors.
when I got the low pressure warning, I filled up that tire, no change though.
after a few times, I happened to notice the other tires pressure was changing.
otherwise, your sensor may be losing its battery and is not reading at all.
The following users liked this post:
45gunner (03-14-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 06:39 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,781 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette9c6
Sorry but I learn a lot here. 1st question is what is everyone using for there manuel clutch fluid in the resesvor? Second question is it was showing my left rear tire low, so I added air but it still hasn't changed tire pressure and shoes low? I hope a sensor isn't bad. Any ideas?
Concerning the tire pressure, as cgladish points out, it's possible that a shop could have accidentally switched the rims from side to side if they installed new tires. However, what you should do at this point is get a manual pressure gauge and check the pressure of the tires on both the LR and RR. This will tell you if the rims (and the TPMS senders) were swapped side to side, because if that happened, the RR tire should read higher now, and the LR would be still low. If the LR tire reads high, then it would be the sender not reporting correctly. You could also walk through the pressure readings on the DIC and see if the RR tire is now reading high, but I don't know if you looked at the pressure there before you starting adding air, so you have no reference point. Get / borrow a manual gauge first. Also, when you change the pressure in any tire, it doesn't get reported via the DIC until the TPMS does a poll, so don't expect to see an instantaneous change.
cgladish (03-13-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 06:39 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

as above, it might not be the tire that you think it is that's low. Also with Corvettes simply putting air in it will not turn out the light. You have to drive it a little bit for the sensor to read. with some cars you jsut need to air them up. with a corvette you have to air it up and then the tire with the sensor has to rotate.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:45 PM
Vette9c6
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sox-Fan
as above, it might not be the tire that you think it is that's low. Also with Corvettes simply putting air in it will not turn out the light. You have to drive it a little bit for the sensor to read. with some cars you jsut need to air them up. with a corvette you have to air it up and then the tire with the sensor has to rotate.
I did not know this. I have not driven other then out the garage 10ft and back in since I aired it up
Old 03-13-2019, 07:05 PM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 960 Likes on 572 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

Be sure and keep the clutch fluid clean. It WILL extend the life of the clutch. There is a good write up on the forum by Ranger. It is DOT 4.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:23 AM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Not so sure about needing to drive first, because once when I picked up a screw in the RR tire, enough air leaked out overnight so that I got a low tire pressure warning as soon as I started the car the next morning. The car wasn't moved at all, and there was no warning the day before. I recall this exactly, because I was in the middle of a long road trip, and had just finished loading up the trunk.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:23 AM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

Uh huh. And when you put air back in?
Old 03-14-2019, 10:50 AM
cadyshac
Drifting

Received 596 Likes on 393 Posts
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Do you have a good tire pressure gauge to check the pressure with? TPMS are good to alert you to a problem but not as exact as a good gauge and checking manually.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:33 AM
Muhnki
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by meadowz06
Be sure and keep the clutch fluid clean. It WILL extend the life of the clutch. There is a good write up on the forum by Ranger. It is DOT 4.
Link to Ranger's write up on clutch care: http://www.rangeracceleration.com/Clutch_Care.html

carl3989 (03-14-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 12:02 PM
45gunner
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 35 Posts

Had a similar problem with the front and rear sensors on the right side of the car being reversed.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:44 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Uh huh. And when you put air back in?
I'm just reporting what happened. I had a battery operated pump with me, and a pressure gauge, so I just pumped it up, and drove about 1/2 mile to a tire shop, where it was repaired. I wasn't paying any particular attention to the DIC, but it seems to me that when I started the car after pumping the tire back up, I didn't get any low pressure warning. This was back in July,, but I'm still sure that I got the low pressure warning without moving the car right when I started it the first time. This was when I had the green TPMS sensors, if that matters.
Old 03-16-2019, 02:15 PM
Vette9c6
Intermediate

Thanks everyone again. Did the fluid change per Ranger method and it was the other tire sensor. Must have gotten swamped with tire change. So all is good now. Thanks again for all the help.

Get notified of new replies

To More newbie questions

Quick Reply: More newbie questions