C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track App and IPhone Cradle/holder

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 10:09 AM
Jbeautexas
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Track App and IPhone Cradle/holder

Looking for suggestions for the best track app and gadget to hold my phone in place.

Thanks!
Old 03-14-2019, 10:43 AM
jaredtxrx
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 172 Posts

If you have an iPhone, Harry's Lap Timer and a Ram Mount.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:46 AM
Jbeautexas
Instructor

Originally Posted by jaredtxrx
Thanks
Old 03-14-2019, 06:21 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,428 Likes on 2,794 Posts

My tip is, unless you're fast and skilled enough be doing time trials or something where predictive lap times matter... don't bother. Focus on the track and your driving, not a laptimw.

If you want to know laptimes, throw the phone in your pocket while you're out there. For novice track drivers, a lap time is one more thing that clouds the purpose of why you're there, to learn to drive safe.
The following users liked this post:
pdc001 (03-15-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 06:25 PM
fred50stang
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I use the Ram mount its a very solid piece. However, I keep my phone in the center console wrapped in a rag(slides around in there) and link it to my Gopro. You will find the camera on the iphone combined with Harry's is very shaky. Has nothing to do with mount, its the camera. There are a few guys on youtube who talk about it and the problem with the iphone camera.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:40 PM
Jbeautexas
Instructor

Turned Harry’s on today and could see the difference before and after the track owner rode along and gave a few pointers, very cool/fun!

Simply nice to quantify change...BUT, I can see why it could be harmful for some.

thanks again!
Old 03-15-2019, 10:54 AM
jaredtxrx
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
My tip is, unless you're fast and skilled enough be doing time trials or something where predictive lap times matter... don't bother. Focus on the track and your driving, not a laptimw.

If you want to know laptimes, throw the phone in your pocket while you're out there. For novice track drivers, a lap time is one more thing that clouds the purpose of why you're there, to learn to drive safe.
Times show improvement, and the video acquired by the lap timers is a huge help in seeing areas for improvements. Also with audio on you can hear instructors as well. I always go back and watch my videos just to review what I was being told. It's hard to process all the information you get while also driving the car and lap timers/video recorders help greatly with review.

If it was someone out doing TT events then I would suggest something much more powerful with more data inputs and better video. But for HPDE students, basic track apps for phones are a great tool to improve your driving.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:08 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,428 Likes on 2,794 Posts

Times show improvement, and the video acquired by the lap timers is a huge help in seeing areas for improvements. Also with audio on you can hear instructors as well. I always go back and watch my videos just to review what I was being told. It's hard to process all the information you get while also driving the car and lap timers/video recorders help greatly with review.

If it was someone out doing TT events then I would suggest something much more powerful with more data inputs and better video. But for HPDE students, basic track apps for phones are a great tool to improve your driving.
I agree that the video is valuable. I think it's good to have video, but video also doesnt give you something that is actively in your face like a lap timer.

Get notified of new replies

To Track App and IPhone Cradle/holder

Quick Reply: Track App and IPhone Cradle/holder