C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rp5-gm11

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 07:04 PM
Power Cruiser
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Rp5-gm11

Installing new HU and wondering how difficult it is to calibrate all functions using RP5. Read many post where it is quite difficult. If you have used unit any reply would help.

Thanks
Old 03-14-2019, 07:17 PM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 446 Likes on 336 Posts

i have the stock HU on my '09. i haven't really used it that much. if it was that i had, it would be different.
but for me, to have a dash gauge / tach, then have the same info mounted just above that, it feels redundant.
i only use the dash tach when I'm really getting on it. otherwise, i shift by feel.
i do like the G-meter though, but not enough for me to keep the display on.
i will turn it on occasionally though,.

what are you thoughts? what do you like ( or expect to like ) about it?
Old 03-14-2019, 08:36 PM
SilverC54me
Melting Slicks

Received 411 Likes on 333 Posts

There is only one setting on the RP5-GM11, that is for the steering wheel controls. I have done 2 C6 installs with on without issue.

Gary
Old 03-14-2019, 08:58 PM
CrystalRedTed
Pro

Received 216 Likes on 122 Posts

The settings setup is a bit primitive. On mine the LED didn't seem to light properly as I programmed it. However, I followed the sequence in the instructions and explicitly counted the taps. It worked the first time so I can't say it was much of a problem.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:01 PM
Power Cruiser
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for reply I will be ordering tomorrow.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:34 PM
Homeboy77
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I just installed one my vette. There is one dial you change to match the make of your HU. All of my steering wheel setting, by default, work fine. I think it may be tricky to reprogram the buttons, but defaults were fine with me.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:48 AM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,755 Likes on 1,167 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverC54me
There is only one setting on the RP5-GM11, that is for the steering wheel controls. I have done 2 C6 installs with on without issue.

Gary
Were you able to program the phone answer and hang up buttons on your steering wheel controls to work with it ? I and others have tried without success, or did you just go with the defaults ?

Last edited by madsonp; 03-15-2019 at 08:26 AM.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:10 AM
SilverC54me
Melting Slicks

Received 411 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by madsonp
Were you able to program the phone answer and hang up buttons on your steering wheel controls to work with it ? I and others have tried without success, or did you just go with the defaults ?
Went with defaults.

Gary
Old 03-15-2019, 03:56 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,801 Likes on 4,234 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

I’m on my 3rd RP5-GM11 and have gotten the steering wheel volume up/down working but nothing else & just gave up. I have a Pioneer avh-4200nex head unit fwiw.
Old 03-16-2019, 01:47 AM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JABCAT
I’m on my 3rd RP5-GM11 and have gotten the steering wheel volume up/down working but nothing else & just gave up. I have a Pioneer avh-4200nex head unit fwiw.
Did you set it back to the defaults ?

Old 03-16-2019, 09:58 AM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,801 Likes on 4,234 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Did you set it back to the defaults ?

yeah I did & also worked with their tech support over the phone which was really no help. With the first one I received there was a lot of static in the speakers, talked to tech support & they said faulty unit, sent back and received a second one. On the second one all buttons made the volume go down & did nothing else. Sent it back - third one all buttons tuned the volume down. Had to reprogram it 3-4 times to get the volume up/down to function correctly. If I messed with any other settings or went back to default settings all buttons turned the volume down. So I left it the way it is.

The screen is an inch or two away from my hand on the shifter so I can just hit the buttons anyway I guess.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:08 AM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JABCAT
yeah I did & also worked with their tech support over the phone which was really no help. With the first one I received there was a lot of static in the speakers, talked to tech support & they said faulty unit, sent back and received a second one. On the second one all buttons made the volume go down & did nothing else. Sent it back - third one all buttons tuned the volume down. Had to reprogram it 3-4 times to get the volume up/down to function correctly. If I messed with any other settings or went back to default settings all buttons turned the volume down. So I left it the way it is.

The screen is an inch or two away from my hand on the shifter so I can just hit the buttons anyway I guess.
Huh, sorry to hear you've had issues with them, mine has worked just fine with the exception of properly programming the phone buttons, but of course I just installed the steering wheel with controls so I haven't messed with it a whole lot. They've recently came out with a new interface, and I came across one on an internet auction site and managed to pick it up for $10 that I want to try also to see if it works better as far as programming, I'll let you know how things turn out when I get it. Here's the new one they came out with. https://pac-audio.com/catalog/radiop...faces/gm1a-rst

Here was my winning bid on it.

Last edited by madsonp; 03-16-2019 at 10:11 AM.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:39 AM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Huh, sorry to hear you've had issues with them, mine has worked just fine with the exception of properly programming the phone buttons, but of course I just installed the steering wheel with controls so I haven't messed with it a whole lot. They've recently came out with a new interface, and I came across one on an internet auction site and managed to pick it up for $10 that I want to try also to see if it works better as far as programming, I'll let you know how things turn out when I get it. Here's the new one they came out with. https://pac-audio.com/catalog/radiop...faces/gm1a-rst
I got the new PAC GMA1-RST interface and got it installed. Here's the thread I started about it where I wrote a review of it if you're interested in reading it. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...interface.html
Old 04-01-2019, 04:42 PM
dkpnkc
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 208 Posts

I have the RP5-GM11 and just this weekend I was putting in a new Pioneer (replacing another Pioneer) and all I wanted to do was change the 1-6 (far right) button to mute. I gave up... I followed the instructions and ended up with the other buttons partly working or not working. Maybe it was me but I finally went back to default and it works fine in that mode.

Get notified of new replies

To Rp5-gm11

Quick Reply: Rp5-gm11