C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couple of questions on picking the correct radio head unit >

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 01:21 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,086 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Couple of questions on picking the correct radio head unit >

There are so many head units that are available today, it seems like just a crap-shoot as to picking the right one.

Maybe you can help me just a little:

I have a 2011 GS coupe with the standard non-Bose radio.

I have upgraded the audio system with quality new speakers, to include a sub woofer mounted in one of the rear cubby holes.

The standard OEM amp was replaced with an Arc Audio 5-Channel Amp (2 channels power the front-door speakers, 2 channels power the rear speakers and 1 channel powers the sub)

The only item left is replacing the head unit ... so, I am thinking that I just need something kinda basic

I don't need the following:

1. Don't need a CD / DVD player since I don't watch movies in the car, and I would rather play music from a USB thumb drive than from CDs

2. I don't need Nav since I just bought a new 6" display Garmin GPS with free lifetime updates not long ago.

3. Since I already am using a very good Arc Audio 5-channel amp, I guess the power output of the amp in the new head unit is really of no importance to me.

I do need the following:

1. I have a Motorola Android smartphone to I obviously need Android capability

2. I pay $10 per month for Spotify Premium, so I would like to listen to that in the car too.

3. And of course I need a USB port so I can listen to music loaded into a thumb drive (My 2011 GS with the standard radio with no Nav does not even have a USB port)

I am thinking of maybe a "Digital Media Receiver" such as the Kenwood DMX7705S, or something comparable.

Thanks for taking the time to read this ...
Any suggestions ? ?

Last edited by Turbo6TA; 03-15-2019 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:27 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Here is a photo of how my Garmin is mounted now (vent mount) ...

Last edited by Turbo6TA; 03-15-2019 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:46 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Received 522 Likes on 370 Posts

I understand where your coming from and I have a GS also (2013) but with the factory nav. However these cars are beautiful so why would you stick something on the dashboard when you could have it built in. For around $450 you can get the Kenwood 574s with every thing you need including Garmin nav. It has apple car play, android auto, spotify etc..Please don't ruin the look of the dash by sticking accessories in the vents when you can have them built in the dash and it will look factory. I have the Kenwood in my dd cadillac and it does every thing. Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
FatsWaller (03-15-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 03:38 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Oh Boy

I understand where your coming from and I have a GS also (2013) but with the factory nav. However these cars are beautiful so why would you stick something on the dashboard when you could have it built in.

For around $450 you can get the Kenwood 574s with every thing you need including Garmin nav. It has apple car play, android auto, spotify etc .. Please don't ruin the look of the dash by sticking accessories in the vents when you can have them built in the dash and it will look factory. I have the Kenwood in my dd cadillac and it does everything. Good luck!
Thanks so much for the info.

I guess that Garmin GPS is built into the Kenwood 574, so there is no need to bring a smartphone in the car with you if all you are going to do is use the Nav feature of the Kenwood ?
Old 03-15-2019, 03:52 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
Thanks so much for the info.

I guess that Garmin GPS is built into the Kenwood 574, so there is no need to bring a smartphone in the car with you if all you are going to do is use the Nav feature of the Kenwood ?
Yes the Garmin is built into the Kenwood, thats what it uses for it's navigation. My point being that if you are a Garmin fan, and it sounds like you are then get the Kenwood because it's built in. But also remember that the Kenwood has apple car play and android auto, so you can also mirror your smartphone on the Kenwood screen and have all your needs covered. I am just not a fan of things hanging from your vents when you can have it all built into the car for a relatively cheap price.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:02 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Here is my GS when I did have a Kenwood (not the one were talking about, this is a older one) in it but I have since put the oem nav back in it. Every thing is right there for you, Garmin included and it looks stock.

Old 03-15-2019, 04:45 PM
danzio56
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 90 Posts

I can't really recommend the right unit for your needs but I can tell you that I am a little disappointed with my Pioneer. Over the past 2 years I've upgraded the head units in three vehicles. My '10 GS, my 2000 F-250 Crew Cab PU and my 2007 Harley Electra-Glide Ultra. The truck received a Kenwood, the bike a Sony. Both the Kenwood and the Sony are far superior to the Pioneer with regards to Bluetooth connectivity.

Most of the time I can't connect automatically to my Samsung Galaxy S7 with the Pioneer, whereas the other two connect within a couple of seconds. It really is frustrating how bad the Pioneer unit is.

Also, and not necessarily the fault of the Pioneer display, but consider the better capacitive vs. the resistive (what I have) as the glare on the former is horrible in these cars. I've been told it's because of the low profile and cockpit layout but most of the time it is washed out in pretty much any sunlight.

Get notified of new replies

To Couple of questions on picking the correct radio head unit >

Quick Reply: Couple of questions on picking the correct radio head unit >