C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GS vs base: A few questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 12:35 PM
gradywhite931127
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Steel City
This is how it started. Boy was saying there is no comparison between a GS and a base and I was saying that there is nothing wrong with the base. Everyone who has a GS is constantly putting down the base cars when in reality and pound for pound a GS is not going to run away from a base in any type of racing. A pencil neck in a GS is not going to out drive Lewis Hamilton in a base. But to me it's funny to see those who have GS's try and justify their purchase, like they are wealthy beyond measure and are going to the track to race their GS 6 out of 7 days of the week. My first post was in response to the OP who asked about the GS vs base. Those with thin skin thought it was directed at them I guess.
I rest my case.
I hear you.. the key was though that “oh boy” said “to him” there was no comparison in “looks” comparing the base to the GS. Simply, that is his opinion and it’s your opinion that the base looks better. I respect both opinions and have mine as well, life’s just simpler that way lol.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:48 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 897 Likes on 584 Posts

What this site needs is an easy way to add an obnoxious user to the ignore list. We should be able to just click on their name and one of the pop up options should be ignore. I know you can go in through the user control panel but it takes half a dozen clicks. I tried to add Steel City yesterday but the last page wouldn't even load. Probably too many people trying to do the same thing!
The following users liked this post:
Function Racer (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 12:55 PM
IBXGS
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_gallup
What this site needs is an easy way to add an obnoxious user to the ignore list. We should be able to just click on their name and one of the pop up options should be ignore. I know you can go in through the user control panel but it takes half a dozen clicks. I tried to add Steel City yesterday but the last page wouldn't even load. Probably too many people trying to do the same thing!
Old 03-20-2019, 12:55 PM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Barspin
First, who cares about drag racing these cars? I always thought the Corvette to be more of a track car, and in a race, it will be close enough to come down to the driver's abilities.

With that said, I think a base Z51 has the same gearing as a GS. I also know the Z51 has larger cross drilled rotors, but I'm not sure if they are the same as the GS.
Many people drag race the C6s. They are a great platform for any kind of racing. Motor Trend compared the GS when it was released with a Z51 from the prior years and the GS beat it .2 seconds at 0-60 and the gap increased to 0.3 seconds and 2mph at the 1/4 miles.

That being said all C6s are amazing sports cars. Anyone should be proud/happy to drive any of them. They are all beautiful sports cars and you can't beat the price per performance. Some of the comments in here are very childish and ridiculous. We all own an amazing sports car and should be happy with what we got and not try to **** on someone else's parade.

For the pompous *** posting on here. I haven't seen any GS, Z06 or ZR1 owner putting down anyone on here. I just see someone with an inferiority complex that wants to try to justify his rants by fabricating something that doesn't exist.

Last edited by SPSandman; 03-20-2019 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 01:03 PM
ttboyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

For me it goes like this..... narrow minded people...... how do I know? I used to be one...... My brother that is 8 years older than me had 70's Buick GS cars growing up with me. When I turned 18 in 1989 I bought one. To me it was the only car in the world..... nothing was cooler. I never liked anything else. Then when I started making good money in my early 20's I took it to a shop to get a full restoration. Well turned out they were a custom shop that built world of wheels style indoor show cars..... they dragged me into that life and 40K invested later I am touring with my car and a group of others with all different cars. I had the only Buick.... during that time I learned one cool priceless FACT! A car guy/gal is a cool thing and a lifestyle and if you are lucky enough to have one and call it yours no mater what the brand, style, or value..... it is yours and you are proud of it and for that it is COOL! There will always be someone with more money and nicer cars. We are all CAR GUYS/GALS and for that we should all be cool and enjoy and appreciate what we have and respect others and appreciate what they have..... better or not we all enjoy are cars the same! A Corvette is a cool car no matter what the year or the style or the model...... it's still a Vette....

Rock on
Old 03-20-2019, 01:13 PM
Function Racer
Racer

Received 200 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_gallup
I guess I'm a softy. I try to educate or soften the situation instead of ignoring it. Sometimes it works, other times... You get what we have here. I was part of another forum that publicly showed a rating based off a few criteria, to warn others before interacting. I like that idea as well.
Old 03-20-2019, 01:18 PM
Function Racer
Racer

Received 200 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by slowtealz28
Whqt do you mean dragging with the gears takes some getting used to? Because of the short 1st and 2nd trans gear? If that’s the case it shouldn’t be too bad because my c5 has 3.90s with a rev limiter of 6200rpm. I was very close to the limiter going through the traps in 4th gear.
I do time attack/HDPE events. The short 1-3 gearing means more rowing from straights, to backs, to turns. As many other can state... The TR6060 doesn't have the most forgiving second gear. I've never dragged my car so I can't speak to that, but I would assume in the 1/4 mile, both cars would be hitting 4th gear.
Old 03-20-2019, 01:43 PM
LilNutSac
Melting Slicks

Received 519 Likes on 286 Posts

Base model = peasant

All in good fun of course.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:40 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by LilNutSac
Base model = peasant

All in good fun of course.
Heres some more fun.....The base is faster !!!!!.....HEE-HEE.......
Steel City (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 03:13 PM
Shortpersonbk
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by jimijam
^ I'll take some of that action on the GS winning. Gearing and traction > 100 or so pounds weight it gives up to the base.
GS is slower in any highway race vs a base.

Base has better gearing, aero, and weight to a grandsport in any race of speed. There is a several mph trap difference. Wider tires are not helping. I have had both.

For reference my stock gs was trapping like 113-114..stock base model went 119.

Last edited by Shortpersonbk; 03-20-2019 at 03:14 PM.
Steel City (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 03:23 PM
oonothin
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

#basemodelsmatter
jimijam (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 03:27 PM
jchappies
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

My Base identifies as ZR1...lol
Old 03-20-2019, 04:06 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Received 522 Likes on 370 Posts

When would you like to meet?
Old 03-20-2019, 04:08 PM
Verrückt ZR1
Melting Slicks

Received 856 Likes on 556 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Fellas.

Last edited by Verrückt ZR1; 03-20-2019 at 04:08 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:12 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Verrückt ZR1
Fellas.
I'm dead serious. He can put up or shut up. If I lose 5K is chump change to me.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:54 PM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 180 Posts

Funny I missed the
But to me it's funny to see those who have GS's try and justify their purchase, like they are wealthy beyond measure and are going to the track to race their GS 6 out of 7 days of the week.
I don't see anyone trying to justify their Grand Sport purchase. For the record, the GS package was pretty unanimously touted as an amazing value for what you get when it came out. It wasn't that much more.

For my used purchase it wasn't that much of a bump over the Base. I got what I wanted and I only paid about 2.5k more than my buddy/coworker who bought a 2008 Base vs my 2012 GS. Nothing I need to justify. Besides, why are other people worried about what someone else spends their money on?

Funny he and I are both huge Vette fans, he has a nice 80 and a nice 89 along with some other sweet bikes, and trucks and cars. The thought of me thinking mine is better than his never crossed my mind and vice versa. He thinks my GS is gorgeous and I think his Base is gorgeous. Mine is my DD, he drives his quite often, but has a couple other vehicles he drives into work. I don't see how this toxic back and forth is helpful for anyone. There are plenty of sources out there that show the GS is faster, and it appears that can go the other way. There are so many variables with numbers. Temps, track condition, etc... The GS is only 105lbs heavier, not that much in the grand scheme. Anyway, to be repetitive all C6s are all sweet cars.

What I find funny, is Steel City is the one that started the whole toxic argument between the two vehicles, when all the OP was simply looking for advice on a hopefully future C6 purchase.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:40 PM
jimijam
Melting Slicks

Received 936 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Shortpersonbk
GS is slower in any highway race vs a base..

Get notified of new replies

To GS vs base: A few questions

Old 03-20-2019, 08:18 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 73DBG
Well if anyone was curious about what the right side of this debate to be on was.....I think this speaks for itself. I already saw enough from this jabroni *** jabroni several pages ago to make my decision. I see some of you trying to keep the peace and play Switzerland and I do respect that, but this is some bullshit right here and I’m not above calling this POS out! OH Boy is being a solid human being and taking care of his mom and this punk *** wants to try and dox OH BOY and take shots at his living condition and what he presumed to be health issues.....unbelievable! Steel City this is 100% directed right at you....you suck at life and are an overall shitty human being. I’ll end with this. Just like dogs....no such thing as a “bad dog” just a shitty owner, same applies to corvettes.

OH BOY: not sure of what your moms situation is and it’s none of my business but I wish you and yours the best! Always nice to see a son looking after their parents when the time comes!
I'd be more than happy to answer. Mom had a stroke years ago and decided to move here so she can have a live in caretaker. (My father died long ago). My brother lives down the block and I live about five minutes away. We pop in during the week to say hello and see whats going on. My cars are really registered here because this area was cheaper at the time from where I lived.
I don't really know whats up with Steel City as the only thing I said originally was there is no comparison in looks between a GS and a base car. I made that statement from a opinion standpoint because I owned both cars and he took for whatever reason a exception to that. So the way I run my life is money talks and BS walks, he claimed and insisted a base is faster so I asked him to prove it in the form of a race. When he can't respond after I called him out he starts insulting me and making fun of my family.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:18 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by gradywhite931127
All bs aside, that GS is beautiful!! My opinion. See how simple that is lol I don’t understand when people argue over opinions 🤦*♂️
Thank you for that compliment, much appreciated.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:23 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Now that Steel City is fully established as a broke low life with no credibility what so ever, lets get back on topic! I still favor the GS! lol

Quick Reply: GS vs base: A few questions