C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GS vs base: A few questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 02:14 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Received 522 Likes on 370 Posts

Well to the OP wherever you have been. You have seen all the pros and cons of owning a base or a GS. There is a lot of info in this thread if you have been reading and only you can decide whether a base or a GS based on the individual attributes of each car fits your driving needs. They both take well to mods and the GS might handle the power better due to the bigger brakes, tires stiffer suspension and additional cooling. Whatever you decide post back with what you bought. Good luck.
The following 2 users liked this post by Oh Boy:
slowtealz28 (03-23-2019), Steel City (03-21-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 02:36 PM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Steel City
You've been here a WHOLE 7 MONTHS and now you think you're running the place, lol What a tool! Nice how you play the victim card though, nice touch, lol.
Ignore list for you.
The only tool I see is you. Well actually tool would be a compliment to you, as tools are generally useful. Seriously, you have brought nothing to this discussion beside pompous BS. You aren't worth my time, nor anyone else's for that matter. Grow up.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:47 PM
jimijam
Melting Slicks

Received 936 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6
Ah Yes....good ol bench racing !!! I esp. like that part where this forums "fast list" is well respected !!....Now thats a knee-slapper !!!!......
Don't hate just because you ain't on it, man.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:07 AM
Shortpersonbk
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts

The best part about this thread are the old dudes who have never raced their car explaining how the grandsport is faster..when people who have owned and raced both are clearly saying a base is faster and for xyz reasons. Show me a single stock 6 speed grandsport trapping 119 ..let alone doing it without a negative DA. The grandsport gearing, aero, and weight kill it in the 1/4th mile and roll racing period.

Grandsport guy egos seem to be just as bad as the c6 z06 owners that I hate and made me purchase a c6 z06 just to cut up and **** them off.
The following users liked this post:
Steel City (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 10:08 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by jimijam
Don't hate just because you ain't on it, man.
LOLOL.....hate because i'm not on an internet list !!??.....Now thats another great knee-slapper !!!!......
Steel City (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 05:56 PM
jimijam
Melting Slicks

Received 936 Likes on 582 Posts

Old 03-22-2019, 06:31 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

What a cluster...

Last edited by Vet Interested; 03-22-2019 at 06:31 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:50 PM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I would love to see this 2012 ZR1, in front of this wonderful beach front property. Guess he knows the wide body looks better too.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:32 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Time for the Moderators to ban these Clowns!
Old 03-22-2019, 09:20 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Received 522 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Vet Interested
Time for the Moderators to ban these Clowns!
For what? Go to off topic and see what goes on there. At least I speak the truth and not spew a bunch of nonsense.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:50 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by Oh Boy
For what? Go to off topic and see what goes on there. At least I speak the truth and not spew a bunch of nonsense.
thats why I just removed 50 posts of crap between you and Steel City......end it....now......next post by either of you in this thread will earn the poster a vacation

find a new thread
The following 2 users liked this post by pewter99:
ladder13 (03-23-2019), Vet Interested (03-23-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 11:33 PM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by SPSandman
73DBG, I would like to clarify. It wasn't the OP, slowtealz28, that was posting ridiculous **** about the cars and especially about Oh Boy's family. That was Steel City. The OP hasn't posted in this thread in a couple days, go figure, and only talked about the Corvette. Steel City however, did everything you described and I couldn't believe it when I read it. Total juvenile disrespect to cover some sort of inferiority complex.

I don't think it is indicative of the C6 General section as I get a ton of great information and have some very productive conversations with most folks on here. I think it is simply a bad seed that always seems to show up on these forums as they hide behind a keyboard trying to make themselves feel important.
Yeah my bad, I knew it wasn’t the OP saying all the BS, I was referring to Steel City and I did 100% call him out by name, I guess he kinda became OP after awhile since the actual OP left and Steel City graced us with his shitty presence.
SPSandman (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 11:45 PM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Shortpersonbk
The best part about this thread are the old dudes who have never raced their car explaining how the grandsport is faster..when people who have owned and raced both are clearly saying a base is faster and for xyz reasons. Show me a single stock 6 speed grandsport trapping 119 ..let alone doing it without a negative DA. The grandsport gearing, aero, and weight kill it in the 1/4th mile and roll racing period.

Grandsport guy egos seem to be just as bad as the c6 z06 owners that I hate and made me purchase a c6 z06 just to cut up and **** them off.
So you bought a car to “ruin it” or as you say “cut it up” to **** off other ZO6 owners.....🤣 I’m guessing you and Steel City have the same CFA?🤣 If you weren’t aware.....I don’t give two ***** about what you do to your car brah.....doing dumb **** to your own car to try an get reactions from other owners is one of the dumbest things I’ve heard. Congratulations Jabroni🤣 majority of ZO6 owners in my experience care about one thing when it comes to other people’s cars and mods......is it ******* fast? If the answer is yes whatever ever modifications most would or could view as “not appealing” is just what it says, I wouldn’t spend money on it, but **** it that thing hauls ***. Same with a base or GS, give it a rattle can paint job.....put ridiculous shark mouth grills and chrome trim everywhere if that’s what your into.....I may find it aesthetically hideous but if that bitch moves out and makes serious bald eagles it’ll get respect. Now I’m done with you too.....next jabroni up🤔
Old 03-23-2019, 12:38 AM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Shortpersonbk

No I think the best part about this thread is the young betas that think they already know more about racing than anyone that may have been doing it before they were born. The only egos I see are those of the ones that aren't in a Grand Sport or Z06 that have to pop into every Grand Sport thread regardless if a Base is even mentioned or not tand post what a waste of money they are and how much better the base is, and how much faster it is. Most of the time with a childish and typical insults, with nothing of substance. Let's see your slips.

Let's see this Z06 you purchased and cut up just because you think it will **** someone else off. That make absolutely zero sense. One it is as childish as some of the other crap that has been posted and two, no one cares what you do to your car, if you have what you say, three, I am calling

Finally, if someone like the OP who started the entire thread with legitimate questions in the first place is serious about doing the type of racing he is talking about, I can 100% guarantee the Grand Sport is the better platform between it and the base to handle HPDE and drag racing. He was asking about the best platform to that will hand 650-700whp. That isn't a base. Period.

You all act like the Grand Sport weighs more than a tank. It is only 105 pounds heavier than a base, and if the driver wants to be concerned with that there are many things to reduce the weight. The gearing is beneficial, it can muster better traction, and for HPDE racing the brakes will not be glowing hot after a few laps.

The only egos I sense that are bruised are the young "guns" that have decided not to go make an easy 5k off of Oh Boy if their base is so much faster.

Sorry, some things just don't compute.
Old 03-23-2019, 12:09 PM
slowtealz28
Safety Car

Received 407 Likes on 305 Posts

I’m getting confused now, I thought the base and GS have the same hearing? 6 speed only, will not buy an auto
Old 03-23-2019, 12:15 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by slowtealz28
I’m getting confused now, I thought the base and GS have the same hearing? 6 speed only, will not buy an auto

This chart was included in post #2 by oh boy. The base model with the Z51 package and the GS share the same gearing. Standard base model and GS don't.

Last edited by TorchRedFred; 03-23-2019 at 12:18 PM.
slowtealz28 (03-23-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 07:55 PM
slowtealz28
Safety Car

Received 407 Likes on 305 Posts

Sorry, my attention to detail hasn’t fully come back. This thread has taken a weird turn. I’ve learned to not take life as serious and enjoy the moment. I do thank all of you for the responses, I didn’t want this to turn into a my car is faster internet war. I do have a serious question and I am curious to hear others opinions. Do you guys think the faster times on the fast list with the base are due to the lack of guys bringing grand sports to the drag strip? To me I would think the gearing of the GS would be better for a stock car, and make up more than the roughly 100lb difference. This is obviously with all things being equal. I would think either car would be capable of running low 12s on street tires and trap 114-118. Don’t they dyno like 360-390 stock? My best in my old c5 with street tires and 315 whp was 12.2. That was full weight. Thoughts?

Quick Reply: GS vs base: A few questions