C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anti theft lock reset

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 09:18 PM
Mlcharlestonsc
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Anti theft lock reset

Just installed used OEM Navi unit now have dreaded anti theft. Are there any forum members near Charleston SC that have a Tech 2 to erase the old Vin?
Thanks
Old 03-20-2019, 03:52 PM
Mlcharlestonsc
Instructor

Now ain't this some Crap.. called stealership about anti theft reset the service Rep tells me he needs to take out Navi unit and get the serial number, then call GM and get a special code to do a reset. Then tells me the cost is $ 155.00 and it's not as easy as just hook up tech 2 and reset.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:32 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,046 Likes on 820 Posts

Fortunate it's only $155, used to be $200 for many everywhere else in the past.

Poster 'dano523' (?) did an excellent write-up explaining how and why it's done.
Extremely detailed step-by-step DIY procedure using an OBDII/clone for this.
This is what you need to get-around dealer.

G/L finding him, guy's a wizard w/ anything OBDII.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:12 PM
SUP54
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

What year Corvette do you have? I changed my OEM radio for the OEM Nav radio in early 2018, took it to an independent Corvette Shop and they used the Tech II and all is good. Cost me about $15.00 best I recall. Local Chevrolet Dealer could not do it (said it would not work after trying for about 30 minutes). They charged me and returned my money when I had it successfully done at a small independent shop using a Tech 2 instrument.

SUP
Old 03-21-2019, 08:22 PM
Mlcharlestonsc
Instructor

We'll just pulled trigger on a Tech 2 clone. So all is good.
Old 03-23-2019, 12:02 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,005 Likes on 2,168 Posts

Originally Posted by SUP54
What year Corvette do you have? I changed my OEM radio for the OEM Nav radio in early 2018, took it to an independent Corvette Shop and they used the Tech II and all is good. Cost me about $15.00 best I recall. Local Chevrolet Dealer could not do it (said it would not work after trying for about 30 minutes). They charged me and returned my money when I had it successfully done at a small independent shop using a Tech 2 instrument.

SUP
Sounds about right.

To do a radio remarry, you have to be in the right module screen to start with.

If radio with single or 6 disc, you do the remarry radio clearing the radio module screen options, while if its a nav unit, you have to go into entertainment screen to begin with, then nav radio special optioins, and nav radio is remarred cleared in that screen instead.

Hence most of the time on a standard radio (none nav) then try to use the entertainment Nav radio setting to clear the radio for a remarry, and it's just not going to happen from that module screen (and visa versa).

As having to pull the radio out so they can check the serial number, total BS to start with, and just telling you to justify the price they are going to charge you to use the tool for about 2 mins. At most, should only want a bill of sale showing which car the radio came out of to prove it not stolen, and then quick work as stated above to clear the radio/nav unit so it remarries to your car the first time you go to start the car after the unit is cleared.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:25 PM
Mlcharlestonsc
Instructor

Received Tech 2 clone in mail last week. Just now took only 10 min to reset head unit. Best money spent so far. Worked great.

Last edited by Mlcharlestonsc; 04-02-2019 at 02:30 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mlcharlestonsc:
FlyAndFight (04-03-2019), Landru (04-02-2019)
Old 05-20-2020, 11:19 AM
bizwiz
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cheapest tech2 clone to buy to reprogram antitheft

Originally Posted by Mlcharlestonsc
Received Tech 2 clone in mail last week. Just now took only 10 min to reset head unit. Best money spent so far. Worked great.

Would you mind telling me what tech2 you bought and with what options I need, maybe a link?

I’ve been corresponding with a clone manufacturer and they’re telling me their unit can’t do this and I have no idea what to buy.

I have a USB unit to swap and I’d rather not go to the Stealership if I can avoid it. Thanks

By the way here’s a nice clear set of instructions I just need the unit to do it:

Tech 2 Procedure:
Connect Tech 2 to car and put the car into ACC Mode.
At the Main screen, select F0 Diagnostics
For Vehicle Identification, Select Year Select Passenger Car
Select Chevrolet
Select body style Y (the fourth letter in your VIN)
Select F1 Body

Select Navigation Radio
The Tech 2 should now be Establishing Communication with your Vette
Under Body, Select Navigation Radio
Select F4 Module Setup
Select F0 VIN Relearn
At the VIN Relearn screen, the scan tool will display, do you want to clear the radio theft information?
To begin clearing, press the soft touch key on the top right of the scan tool. The Tech 2 will display clearing radio theft in progress. Once done, press exit on the Tech 2 and cycle the ignition.
It's done and the Nav unit will now marry to your car.

Last edited by bizwiz; 05-20-2020 at 11:36 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Landru (05-20-2020)
Old 05-21-2020, 12:26 AM
Dano523
Race Director

GM VX Nano ($109) is the ticket for both a Tech II clone, and MDI 1 clone to run GDS2 as well.
Amazon Amazon

So on that note, just need to know what year C6 to give you a quick write up down the Tech2win rabbit hole you need to use to clear the Nav, so it will remarry with your car on the next start up.
Really, just need to make sure you end up in the Nav sub menu, and not the Radio sub menu to clean the Nav married memory. Dealer will try to use the Radio sub menu to clear the Nav units, and it does not work, since the Tech II is sending the command to clear a 6 disc type radio instead.
Old 05-21-2020, 12:58 AM
bizwiz
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default C6

Originally Posted by Dano523
GM VX Nano ($109) is the ticket for both a Tech II clone, and MDI 1 clone to run GDS2 as well.
https://www.amazon.com/VXDIAG-Multip.../dp/B01NACTAY8

So on that note, just need to know what year C6 to give you a quick write up down the Tech2win rabbit hole you need to use to clear the Nav, so it will remarry with your car on the next start up.
Really, just need to make sure you end up in the Nav sub menu, and not the Radio sub menu to clean the Nav married memory. Dealer will try to use the Radio sub menu to clear the Nav units, and it does not work, since the Tech II is sending the command to clear a 6 disc type radio instead.

2005 C6 convertible. single disc nav unit
Old 05-21-2020, 06:04 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Tech II or tech 2win for 2005 radio remarry.

If using the nano, when you start Tech2win, select North America on the first pop up screen, then MDI 1 on the next pop up, then USB device and this will kick you into the main Tech2win screen.
Note, when you go to load the programs on your computer to start with, start with VX manager, the plug the Nano into your machine so manager shows it. Then click on the firmware icon to update firmware, then click on the liscence Icon to update the liscence. Now leave VX manager open, and the Nano connected to your laptop, the in the White disc Tech2 win folder, click on autoinstall.exe to install Tech to win. Your going to end up with two Tech2win icons on your main screen, and just delete the tech2win quick start, since your never going to use it.

Now at tech2win main screen with the car in ACC mode and the nano plugged into the car
F0 diagnostics from first screen,
passenger car
Chevrolet
Body type Y
Body and accessories
Navagaition for Nav radio if remarrying it, or Entertainment if you are re-marring a 6 disc changer radio
Module set up
Navigation radio
Vin relearn
Click begin clearing on the screen to clear the old vin number out of the radio to unlock it.

Now next time you start the car, BCM is going to check the modules and will remarry the vin cleared nav to it.

Also, to fully update the VX manager and Nano to the lastest updates, will do such from the VX manager.
Go to the top right tab in VX manager and down load and install the latest VX manager.
Once you have the lastest VX downloaded and isntalled, go back to update the firmware for the nano, and the liscense for the Nano with it plugged in to the laptop.
Now on the second top from left icon, then in apps on the left list , you want to un-install the loaded Tech II/GDS2 , Pass through, and SGM rds one at a time, and reisntall them from within VX manger (do not need the white disc for any of this).

Hence old VX manager loaded all this from the White disc install, but need to be updated from within the New VX manger going forward after you update the VX manager to newer editions as they come out.

Last edited by Dano523; 05-21-2020 at 06:14 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Anti theft lock reset

Quick Reply: Anti theft lock reset