C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Interior Wheel defect/bubble - thoughts

Old 03-19-2019, 03:37 PM
LiLi
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C6 Interior Wheel defect/bubble - thoughts

I am hoping that one of you can help me. I just had my calipers painted on my "baby". I received a call just earlier today asking me if I have hit something or ran over anything. The answer is No. They were polishing the Inside of my wheels before placing them back on the car and found a "bubble" in the actual wheel. They said they have Never seen anything like this. I am not sure if this is a defect in the wheel; maybe even a known defect. I found on an older thread that someone mentioned they had an issue with the front wheels when it was out of alignment but my car is and has always been in alignment and this is the back tire. I have attached two pictures of my back wheel. Any thoughts of what this could be? What would have caused this? And how serious could this be? Thanks to all of you in advance. This is my first Vette and as I have been told....I am already "crazy". Who doesn't buy a car cover for their Vette when it is in the garage? :-)

Old 03-19-2019, 03:42 PM
Gixxerman

Received 3,742 Likes on 2,123 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified
St. Jude Donor '18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

I have only seen that when a tire is driven near flat over something in the road. The wheels can be a kind of "pot luck" metal and that's why it is finished, polishing will bring out and "show" many defects in material and differences in metallurgy of the aluminum. I used to polish and you'd be surprised what some aluminum is really made of and why they painted or coated it. If you are original owner, that darn thing might have been there since day one and the duller coating "hid" it well. If wheels aren't out of balance or structurally unsound, I would not worry... just cosmetic. I am pretty OCD though and would be looking for another wheel cause it would drive me nuts. I hope you can find a solution.

Last edited by Gixxerman; 03-19-2019 at 03:42 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 03-19-2019, 03:52 PM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 443 Likes on 381 Posts

I don't think I would worry about it, from a safety point of view.
I can't tell from the picture if this is a paint bubble, a "clump" of aluminum not machined smooth or a dent.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Interior Wheel defect/bubble - thoughts

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C6 Interior Wheel defect/bubble - thoughts