C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ ZP 's for my GS . . .

Old 03-20-2019, 03:05 PM
csf
Melting Slicks

Received 207 Likes on 128 Posts

Default Bought the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ ZP 's for my GS . . .

. . . and the tread looks backwards on the passenger side compared to the drivers side.

Apparently there is no left or right side for these tires but only interior and exterior surfaces. Yet the tread is actually curved.
So on one side of the car the tread angles toward the front and the other side the tread angles toward the rear. This is the first tire I've ever had like this.
I guess traction and performance are the same regardless of the tread orientation.

Anyone else with these tires notice this ? Any problems ? Thanks.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:37 PM
cottonant
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by csf
. . . and the tread looks backwards on the passenger side compared to the drivers side.

Apparently there is no left or right side for these tires but only interior and exterior surfaces. Yet the tread is actually curved.
So on one side of the car the tread angles toward the front and the other side the tread angles toward the rear. This is the first tire I've ever had like this.
I guess traction and performance are the same regardless of the tread orientation.

Anyone else with these tires notice this ? Any problems ? Thanks.

Here's pics of my rear A/S 3+ ZP's. Only problem I had was having to take the car to another shop with a road force balance machine to get them balanced. Worked out great though and the shop with the road force machine has a customer for life.

They grip better than I expected. I ran an 11.69 quarter mile at 122.87 MPH with them.

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ ZP Left Rear

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ ZP Right Rear
The following users liked this post:
csf (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 10:06 PM
BackInBlack05
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts

I think the earlier versions were directional. They also had the 2 giant grooves like the old "Aquatred". I notice my new versions are not. Just "outside".

I trust Michelin to know.

Last edited by BackInBlack05; 03-20-2019 at 10:08 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:22 PM
montereyredvette
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 61 Posts

If the tires are directional, they will have arrows on the sidewall indicating the direction they should be turning in.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:42 PM
car2fast4you
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 283 Posts

I just had the same tires installed on my C6 a couple of days ago.

They ride surprisingly well. I was coming off of Continental ExtremeContact DW non-run-flat summer tires; so, I was skeptical. They also seem to have a lot of cornering grip, but I hadn't pushed them yet. I want to give them a couple of hundred miles to break in.

My real problem with the tires is that they did not balance well. The tire shop spent about 90 minutes with the tires on a Hunter road force balancer, taking the tires on/off, rotating them on the wheels. A couple of the tires have excessive run-out, which is generally caused by the tires being out of round. As a result, I'm getting a fair amount of general vehicle vibration over 70 mph, as well as shaking in the steering wheel. The shop has ordered another full set of the tires; so that they can mix & match them as required to get the best overall result.

This tire shop is a 50-year-old family business that I have nothing but the best things to say about. I have no doubt that they will resolve the problem. However, I can't say the same thing about Michelin tires. Our Odyssey minivan has 4-year-old Michelin Defender tires, with less than 40k miles on them, that have cracking on the sidewalls due to dry rot.

Last edited by car2fast4you; 03-25-2019 at 02:44 PM.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:54 PM
smd001
Pro

Received 106 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by cottonant
Here's pics of my rear A/S 3+ ZP's. Only problem I had was having to take the car to another shop with a road force balance machine to get them balanced. Worked out great though and the shop with the road force machine has a customer for life.

They grip better than I expected. I ran an 11.69 quarter mile at 122.87 MPH with them.

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ ZP Left Rear

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ ZP Right Rear
That's a great time and pleasantly surprising. I put these on a few weeks back and have only maybe a few hundred miles on them but I love them so far. Ride is far better than the Pilots.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:20 PM
TorchRed427
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I am thinking about a set of these. Just wondering how are they in regard to picking up tiny rocks as compared to the OEM tires? UTOQ rating is higher (500) so I am guessing they would not pick up as much crap and throw it at your rockers or flared rear fender.

Last edited by TorchRed427; 03-25-2019 at 05:21 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Bought the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ ZP 's for my GS . . .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bought the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ ZP 's for my GS . . .