C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette Aftermarket (Kenwood) Head Unit problem.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 11:51 AM
Xcaliber
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a Kenwood DDX9703S and absolutely love it. I took out the power plug in the center console and replaced it with a dual USB plug (top is for my wife's iPhone and the bottom is for my S10+). I can do Android Auto via bluetooth or USB if I want to quick charge it also. It is an amazing deck with great features and the ability to use AA or Apple CarPlay makes it even that much better. The only thing I don't like about it is that you can't mirror your screen easily on it, but I'm working on that too. (Install pictures and instructions coming soon)
The following users liked this post:
ZR8D08 (03-27-2020)
Old 03-22-2019, 11:54 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,086 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by Sox-Fan

...... Hated that thing. The Navigation was out of date and Garmin wanted $99 to update.

I bought a new Kenwood with no Navigation that needs to be updated, but instead has Android Auto. Google maps is always up to date.
I just bought a Kenwood DNX575S that has the built-in Garmin GPS.

In the past, I have been using a 6" screen mobile Garmin "Drive 60LM" GPS in my GS. It has been excellent and gets the latest free updates anytime I plug it into my home computer and check for map updates on the Garmin "Express" website ... free updates for life.

Now, with the Garmin that's in my new Kenwood I am about to install, I am understanding that unlike the mobile Garmin I have, I will not be able to get free map updates off the Garmin "Express" internet site ? ?

My mobile Garmin ...

Old 03-22-2019, 12:18 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
I just bought a Kenwood DNX575S that has the built-in Garmin GPS.

In the past, I have been using a 6" screen mobile Garmin "Drive 60LM" GPS in my GS. It has been excellent and gets the latest free updates anytime I plug it into my home computer and check for map updates on the Garmin "Express" website ... free updates for life.

Now, with the Garmin that's in my new Kenwood I am about to install, I am understanding that unlike the mobile Garmin I have, I will not be able to get free map updates off the Garmin "Express" internet site ? ?
That's a much newer head unit, and it might do OTA updates. I'm afraid that I just don't know the answer to that.

The model that I had answered about is older and no, it could not do OTA updates. You had to download the updates from Garmin. $99. Then put them on an SD card and the head unit would read them from the SD card. Oddly enough, it would read firmware updates from a USB drive but nav updates only from SD.

I didn't pay for nav on my new head unit because google maps is always up to date and looks just as good as Garmin on the screen to me. I could not see spending the extra money for nav in the head unit when I always have my phone with me and both Android and iPhone are built in already. Spending extra money to have two kinds of nav seemed like overkill.
The following users liked this post:
Turbo6TA (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 06:47 PM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,753 Likes on 1,165 Posts

Originally Posted by madsonp
I believe they've since addressed the issue on the newest ones by adding the jumpers at the factory so you may not need to do it, you'll just have to look at it.
I was able to look at a brand new RP5-GM11 today to verily if they've addressed this, and they have since added these jumpers at the factory. It's the same modification that's shown in the installation instructions that I posted the link to in my earlier post, so it should be easy for you to tell if yours needs to be modified or not. Even if you bought one fairly recently, it still maybe worth while to check it to ensure you didn't get one that's old stock and doesn't have these jumpers.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:04 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

do you know what type interface you have ? If it's the pac rp5-gm11 i believe there's been issues with these to where they've modified their installation instructions to where you had to add jumpers on the yellow constant power wires and the black ground wires when you use this interface with a double din radio. Look at the "important instructions for double din radios" section from the installation instructions you can find here. https://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/im...541rp5gm11.pdf
Originally Posted by turbo6ta

i am getting ready to install a kenwood dnx575s double din head unit (with built-in garmin nav) in my 2011 gs very soon. I will be using the pac rp5-gm11 interface too.

I guess i will be needing to add those jumper wires on it too .... You would think that pac would fix this problem so there interface would be truely 'plug and play' so the user would not need to cobble together there own wires to get it to work correctly.

i believe they've since addressed the issue on the newest ones by adding the jumpers at the factory so you may not need to do it, you'll just have to look at it.

I just got got done modifying my PAC RP5-GM11 interface kit ... The jumper wires are now added and partially soldered in place on all new kits supplied by PAC ... I use the word "partially soldered" ... See photo below:

Old 03-23-2019, 11:42 AM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

My RP5 didn't have the jumper wires, nor did I use or attach any. I have had no issues.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:56 AM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
My RP5 didn't have the jumper wires, nor did I use or attach any. I have had no issues.
According to their instructions they say that failure to do so MAY result in loss of accessory power from the PAC unit, not that it necessarily will. I think I'd suggest doing it just as a precaution just in case, even though you haven't had any issues yet, I ended up doing it on mine so I wouldn't have to worry about it.
Old 03-23-2019, 12:02 PM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I just got got done modifying my PAC RP5-GM11 interface kit ... The jumper wires are now added and partially soldered in place on all new kits supplied by PAC ... I use the word "partially soldered" ... See photo below:

The new one I looked at yesterday already had those in place, are you sure you're not confusing those with the yellow and black wires you hook up to the harness from your head unit ?
Old 03-23-2019, 12:55 PM
CHEV AGAIN
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

The picture of all those wires all ***** nilly makes my OCD go...TICK...😬

Mark
Old 03-23-2019, 01:27 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

The new one I looked at yesterday already had those in place, are you sure you're not confusing those with the yellow and black wires you hook up to the harness from your head unit ?
I laid out my wires from the interface kit exactly like it is depicted on the photo (carbon copy of that photo) . Those 2 jumper wires were attached to to Point A and to Point B exactly as shown in the photo ... but the other ends of the jumper wires were just bare and not attached to anything, so I soldered them at Point C and D exactly like in the photo.

That's all I can say ..

Last edited by Turbo6TA; 03-23-2019 at 01:27 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 02:30 AM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I laid out my wires from the interface kit exactly like it is depicted on the photo (carbon copy of that photo) . Those 2 jumper wires were attached to to Point A and to Point B exactly as shown in the photo ... but the other ends of the jumper wires were just bare and not attached to anything, so I soldered them at Point C and D exactly like in the photo.

That's all I can say ..

I could be wrong, I'll have to go take a look at it again next time I run into town.
Old 03-24-2019, 02:35 AM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by CHEV AGAIN
The picture of all those wires all ***** nilly makes my OCD go...TICK...😬

Mark
It's ok.....mellow........mellow
Old 03-24-2019, 07:26 PM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I could be wrong, I'll have to go take a look at it again next time I run into town.
Nope, not wrong, this shows what I saw. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ese-wires.html
Old 03-19-2020, 04:38 PM
Trent..hoffman
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 kenwood radio install

Anyone ever had trouble with there tire sensors or traction control not going to competitive after putting a aftermarket radio in?
Old 03-19-2020, 04:57 PM
Xcaliber
Advanced

Yeah, my traction control is acting up. It is not a big deal, it still goes on and off, just no comp mode now.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:49 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,795 Likes on 4,232 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

I had nothing but issues with the PAC harness, all 3 of them that I went through. Could never get the steering wheel buttons to work correctly, if I disconnected the battery then the steering wheel buttons wouldn’t work & I’d have to pull the head unit & go through about 3-4 reset procedures to finally get the volume up/down buttons to work.

Conversely I used the iDatalink Maestro when I installed a Kenwood head unit in my wife’s Wrangler and it get programmed on your computer prior to install & works flawlessly. I would get the Maestro harness.

Last edited by JABCAT; 03-19-2020 at 07:50 PM.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:52 PM
Xcaliber
Advanced

Wish they had an iDATALINK for the Corvette, I would switch in a heatbeat.

Quick Reply: Corvette Aftermarket (Kenwood) Head Unit problem.