C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too Much Horsepower, Can It Be True

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 11:05 AM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Ed you couldn't handle anything that made 740hp and has the manners of a stocker.In your life time you will never figure out camshafts
Old 03-22-2019, 11:11 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Originally Posted by irok
Ed you couldn't handle anything that made 740hp and has the manners of a stocker.In your life time you will never figure out camshafts
Yet I've done just that. Multiple times. Go figure.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:58 PM
KB9GKC
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
Tough crowd Wonder how many have actually driven a car with say 900hp, or even 700hp, hell how about 600hp. I cant imagine driving something with 900hp, has to be a real handful
NSF
Your right,

I built and land speed raced a turbo charged Hayabusa 500lb motorcycle, the rear tire was still slightly spinning at 150Mph on the way to 200mph.

Not for the faint of heart!

Douglas in Green Bay
Old 03-22-2019, 02:31 PM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 959 Likes on 571 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

You can have too much power for a street car. Anything over 600-700 is way too much for street use.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:33 PM
Function Racer
Racer

Received 200 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by meadowz06
You can have too much power for a street car. Anything over 600-700 is way too much for street use.
I don't know about all that. I've had the pleasure of driving an 1100HP GTR. Pulled like a rocket until I let off somewhere around 210mph.

There's never enough until you can't handle it.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:38 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by KB9GKC
Your right,

I built and land speed raced a turbo charged Hayabusa 500lb motorcycle, the rear tire was still slightly spinning at 150Mph on the way to 200mph.

Douglas in Green Bay
Douglas, how do I say this? You are nuts!!!
Old 03-22-2019, 05:55 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by KB9GKC
Your right,

Douglas in Green Bay
My Cuz a few years ago had one of those crotch rockets, some kind of Kawasaki XR MFER's, chipped and piped, supposed to be good for over 200mph. He found a nice straight piece of pavement out on Hwy 40 (desert) with no over passes and straight. Bought all the go fast stuff, leathers, streamlined helmet etc. Had his wife spotting for him and decided to try for that top speed, he said he had to be tucked in with everything behind the faring cause if you stuck your head up or an arm out it was like it would be torn off, but he did 176mph and quit. I told him he was ******* crazy He sold it because HE COULDNT MASTER IT FROM A DIG, NO MATTER WHAT HE TRIED, and he is a good rider.
So I take my hat off to you Douglas, you are one crazy *** MF'er
NSF
Old 03-22-2019, 06:12 PM
doomi
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by myredhead1
On these cars, I have always thought that 400+ to the wheels is the magic number.
I am at 468 rwhp and it's not nearly enough for my taste.

Supercharger and alky sit are sitting in my living room to be installed. Shooting for a good 700-750 rwhp.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:05 PM
Cybernetic Medic
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wasn't it Don Garlits that said when it comes to horse power too much is just right?
Old 03-23-2019, 09:08 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 818 Likes on 387 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by doomi
I am at 468 rwhp and it's not nearly enough for my taste.

Supercharger and alky sit are sitting in my living room to be installed. Shooting for a good 700-750 rwhp.
While I respect you opinion, I am just wondering do you track your car on a regular basis. If not just why is that kind of HP need for a street car? Just so you know, I have been around all types of cars and different HP rating since the early 60's. We raced a C/SA in NHRD in the mid 60's and it was a national record holder. I have had my share of muscle cars and my first Vette was a '66 BB 427/425 that I bought in '68. My current Vette is an '07 with ARH hi-flow cats, CAI and a tune so I an over the base HP rating of 400 (410).
Old 03-23-2019, 09:21 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,431 Likes on 2,796 Posts

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
Tough crowd Wonder how many have actually driven a car with say 900hp, or even 700hp, hell how about 600hp. I cant imagine driving something with 900hp, has to be a real handful
NSF
I drove a Grand National that was in the neighborhood of 800 to 900 who. It SUCKED. Legitimately, it was no fun at all around town, it did normal driving things fine, but you could barely touch the gas without it going nuts and either blowing the tires off or flying forward way faster than you wanted. I would not want a car that fast for the street. The owner said he trailed it most pla s fir this very reason, it was really only worth a damn on a PREPPED drag strip.

Obviously the traction control systems nowdays can neuter this sort of power. A modern PCM coukd just limit the boost in the car so it's not putting out more than 400hp pr si in most situations, and use a drive mode to allow max hp for bragging rights. That's what the demographic here wants, bragging rights, they wont actually drive the cars. You dont ser ZR1s with miles on them, or any of the high end exotics. People buy them to brag about, not drive.

And can we talk about how stupid it is that GM even thinks it can compete with Lambo pr Ferrari? It's like theyve done zero brand research, people dont buy those cars because of a value, they buy them because of a name. And Corvette does not ring with those people. It's as stupid as of BMW said the next M3 was going to be midengine and it would compete with Zonda. Or of Ford said they were gonna combine a pair of the EcoBoost v6s into a v12 and compete with Bentley W12s. People dont buy this stuff on stats... they buy it DESPITE the stats because at the end of the day it's still whatever exotic they wanted, and not a more mundane car like ours.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:29 AM
tsmart
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

I think the "too much power" story is just selling sizzle. Mystique. Its the Lambada, forbidden! You must have one! Its just tooo fast!My base 10 c6 is plenty fast. Lets say it does 0-60 in 4 seconds. So a cammed billy boat exhaustheaders thing buys what, .5 seconds? Some may care but I'm not one of them. You can beat me by a second for twice the horsepower and twice the money?? Wow! I feel so left out...but to each his own. I'll just have to deal with my shame.
Old 03-23-2019, 04:01 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 818 Likes on 387 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

And can we talk about how stupid it is that GM even thinks it can compete with Lambo pr Ferrari? It's like theyve done zero brand research, people dont buy those cars because of a value, they buy them because of a name. And Corvette does not ring with those people.

That maybe mostly true, but I know a couple that she drives a white 458 Spider he drives an Orange Lambo and they both drive a C7 Z06. So the Corvette does appeal to the Ferrari and Lambo people. Maybe not a large group, but to car people.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:37 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,007 Likes on 2,169 Posts

AMG had Merc Sl's making more than 1K hp close to a decade ago, and the lessen learned, when you have to use TM that badly to keep it from roasting the tires/make is drivable, then you wasting your time with that much power to the suspension. So instead of just offering something with so much power they could not keep stuck to the ground, they pulled the power back down to make the HP match what the car was capable in handing instead.

So here is the glitch with most High HP muscle cars, and they they may have this type of horsepower, the motor is being hobbled by TM to make is drive-able and save the drive line isntead.

So C8 at over 1K, going to take a hell of lot more than just mid engine to allow the car to use that much HP with the handing to go with it, and would break the bank with the electronics aerodynamics/further designing to put it all to use with a matched handling package.

Trust is, can't want for the C8 to come out, and it put up against the current crop of super cars and the tech they are running to make HP usable/ match the handling of the car. The way I see it, c8 may have a lot of horsepower to keep up with the current crop of muscle cars, but the handling package is not going to be there when compared to the current crop of super sports cars instead. So down a drag strip, may put in some decent numbers, but on the road course, going to be major glitches instead (like getting around the Nurburgring under 8 mins, which the current 911 gt3 did already).

So yes, do see that C8 have some upgraded handling and increased power, but for the price they have to make and sell the cars in the market enough buying them, will never handle in the class of the super cars isntead. So isntead, the car will be built and priced as the value market sports car it is in that market value place, which keep the vet at least a decade behind in the current tech and materials of current crop of super cars instead.

And just a FYI, but if you get the car to handle correctly, you don't need a ton of extra HP isntead. The M600's, 911's. R8's have been proven this for years around road course tracks; with a match suspension/HP packages.

Last edited by Dano523; 03-24-2019 at 06:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Too Much Horsepower, Can It Be True