C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine stutters after shifting into third. Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 12:54 PM
David Brock
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Engine stutters after shifting into third. Any ideas?

05 6 speed. When I take the car to about 4K rpm in second then shift into third it will stutter or hesitate for a split second then continue accelerating. I had the harmonic balancer replaced with summit racing brand. It seems to have started after that. Under normal Acceleration the car runs great. First gear is always smooth and fast. Only Mods are vararam intake and borla exhaust. Any ideas? Thanks
Old 03-21-2019, 01:23 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 775 Likes on 504 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by David Brock
05 6 speed. When I take the car to about 4K rpm in second then shift into third it will stutter or hesitate for a split second then continue accelerating. I had the harmonic balancer replaced with summit racing brand. It seems to have started after that. Under normal Acceleration the car runs great. First gear is always smooth and fast. Only Mods are vararam intake and borla exhaust. Any ideas? Thanks
Check to make sure one of your spark plug wires hasn't come loose. I had a very similar problem in my ZR1 and that turned out to be the cause.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:42 PM
David Brock
Advanced

I checked. They are all secure. Thanks though.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:21 PM
pauly1119
Drifting

Received 401 Likes on 230 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'11

Could be the clutch? How many miles? Hard driving?
Old 03-21-2019, 08:59 PM
David Brock
Advanced

57K miles. I don't drive it hard at all. When I bought the car the tires were 8 years old so I don't think the previous owner was hard on it either
Old 03-21-2019, 11:58 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

There are some things in a tune which will affect transient throttle and cause stumbling but when you're talking about a car that is still stock, I don't really think any age related components would cause that. As much as I want to comment here I just can't think of anything that jumps out at me.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:56 PM
Matthew Hughes
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My LS1 Camaro does this on occasion. Upshift to third, and its like the engine tries to stall. May happen once every couple of months or so, but it's unnerving when it does. Only thing I can think of is maybe its an DFCO issue?
Old 03-22-2019, 09:01 PM
Underachieved
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Hughes
My LS1 Camaro does this on occasion. Upshift to third, and its like the engine tries to stall. May happen once every couple of months or so, but it's unnerving when it does. Only thing I can think of is maybe its an DFCO issue?

What is DFCO?
Old 03-22-2019, 09:11 PM
Matthew Hughes
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Deceleration Fuel Cutoff. It's a fuel saving feature on manual cars. When you lift your foot off the gas either to shift, coast or decelerate, the PCM cranks back on the injector pulse width, leaning out the fuel mixture. It often feels like a jake brake on a diesel truck. Maybe it's stumbling on the transition after you shift and start accelerating.....thus the stutter.

Last edited by Matthew Hughes; 03-22-2019 at 09:15 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:08 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by Matthew Hughes
Deceleration Fuel Cutoff. It's a fuel saving feature on manual cars. When you lift your foot off the gas either to shift, coast or decelerate, the PCM cranks back on the injector pulse width, leaning out the fuel mixture. It often feels like a jake brake on a diesel truck. Maybe it's stumbling on the transition after you shift and start accelerating.....thus the stutter.
Unlikely. Dfco has no reason to work most of the time and then spontaneously fail.

I can't begin to diagnose what's going on with the Ops car. Or yours for that matter. About all I could do would be to make some guesses of where I would start. I would probably be looking more towards an intake air temperature sensor or something like that. They can cause all kinds of wacky stuff with your ve table interpretation and if you had a intermittent problem with one of them, that would probably make some really weird stumbles.

When you have transient throttle levels, the engine no longer uses the MAF. The MAF only works when there is a relatively constant air flow across it. When you're shifting and making fast changes to the throttle, the engine falls back to the ve table for a brief. Until it can trust the MAF reading again. If you've got a wonky intake air temperature coming from your sensor, then that's going to fuel the car dramatically wrong and cause all kinds of weird stumbles when you're shifting.

Now there are probably five hundred other things that will cause this and I am by no means an expert. But if you simply look at your tables in HP tuners you will see what things influence the fueling and that should limit the amount of diagnosing you have to do. Just look at the things that are used to reference cells in the fueling tables.

Get notified of new replies

To Engine stutters after shifting into third. Any ideas?

Quick Reply: Engine stutters after shifting into third. Any ideas?