C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

the C7 is AGONIZING

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 08:09 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

It is unfortunate that even now, more than 5 years later, certain individuals just can't control themselves and continue to disparage another generation Corvette and spew vitriol, as if their own choice wasn't evidence enough of what they either prefer or can afford. They find it necessary to go out of their way to offer unsolicited negativity, in the adolescent form of spewed-out garbage without regard to camaraderie or the shared adoration most of us here have to our beloved cars. Very sad. I personally love all Corvettes and would never go out of my way to insult or denigrate one. Every single one I see turns my head and every single one I encounter I spend time to admire. Whether at the track, on the road or at a show.

My brother-in-law has a C6 Base. I have a C6Z and and C7Z. He purchased the C6 base because he also loves Corvettes and that is what he could afford. It is a gorgeous, capable car that I heap sincere praise on every time he comes over with it. I told him if he ever wants to sell it that I'm first in line, as I love the clean lines, sculptured curves and confident posture of his car. Never would I disparage his Corvette just so I can feel better about myself and my own choices. And one of my closest friends has a C6ZR1 and a C7ZR1. He treats me and my cars the same way I treat my brother-in-law's, with sincere admiration and respect. If he has a negative opinion then I've never heard it, and he has never attempted to make me feel like my cars are any less beautiful or capable than his (even though both of his cars are both of those things).

"I prefer the styling of the C6 generation" is vastly different than saying "XX generation is butt ugly, agonizing, hate it etc". One is a statement of preference and the other is a self-aggrandizing, puerile attempt at post-purchase rationalization typically uttered by those with small, unsure minds who repeat it to feel better about themselves via insults and negativity. To continue to utter and repeat such idiocy for years on a site dedicated to Corvettes is embarrassing and shameful. Grow up.
The following 10 users liked this post by Mordeth:
BlackMamba89 (03-25-2019), C3w4sp (03-24-2019), dhpeck (03-24-2019), dvilin (03-26-2019), fq-300 (03-30-2019), GaVette61 (03-27-2019), Halfvette (03-26-2019), jbc1995fb (03-25-2019), JJ1956 (03-27-2019), mkitt27 (03-26-2019) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-24-2019, 09:16 AM
csf
Melting Slicks

Received 207 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Logpile98
csf I'm gonna have to disagree with you here. I can understand if the styling isn't appealing to you, but I would say the C7 still looks like a Corvette, or at the very least it's not any more radically different from the previous gen than what has happened in the past. C1 to C2 was a pretty big change in the styling department, so was C3 to C4. Not to mention other well-known, long-running nameplates have had even bigger shakeups throughout history. For example the Foxbody Mustang looks less like a Mustang than any other generation. Maybe if you've spent years seeing that body style all the time it can be tough to shake the perception of it, but if you had never seen a Mustang at all before and I lined up 1 from each generation, the Foxbody would be such an outlier. The Camaro is similar; the f-body looks like it has nothing in common with the 1st gen Camaro other than the number of wheels and doors. Porsche's 911 is an exception to this rule, and people have made fun of it for years for that.

Corvette styling has always been heavily influenced by the styling of the era. The shift from early 50's to the style of the late 50's is apparent in the C1, the C2 is very 60's, and so on. The angles and creases on the C7 are just a manifestation of the angry, aggressive styling trend in the car industry today. Personally I like it, so if you run into someone selling one for 50% off please let me know
Actually don't disagree with most of your points. Of course this is all personal opinion, but in 2013 when I first saw the C7 it seemed to me the GM designers were more interested in making it look like an import then a previous Corvette. Perhaps to attract newer buyers. Even now 6 years later, to me, it looks more like a Ferrari knockoff then a Corvette. That's just how I see it. And yes, the taillights at that time were just way to radical of a change for me, although I have gotten used to them by now.

Jeep once put square headlights on the Wrangler. Porsche once put teardrop headlights on the 911. And as you pointed out the Mustang and Camaro have been through some crazy design changes. None of these are looked favorably on today. So I think only time will tell how the C7 is viewed.

One thing is for sure . . . the C7 is an upgrade over the C6, as it should be. If a buyer likes the looks there is no doubt its a great sports car. I have never for a minute thought or posted a C7 was a bad car. But as I have posted, at 6'2 and 230 lbs the C7 felt much tighter inside then my C6. So I was always out, regardless of styling. The thing I don't get is the people who say the C6 is dated. I have a C6 GS coupe and I still think it looks pretty good. And I notice Ferrari is still using round taillights.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:24 AM
MR_JLR
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts

Too many hard creases on the exterior
Old 03-24-2019, 09:58 AM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

I know that they've got auto transmission problems with that car. I wouldn't want to screw with that considering chevy dealers. I prefer manuals anyway but that must be a wide gate with 7 speeds.

Interior is nice, I suppose the electronics is reliable enough.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:39 AM
Scuba Ghost
Team Owner

Received 401 Likes on 282 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by Mordeth
It is unfortunate that even now, more than 5 years later, certain individuals just can't control themselves and continue to disparage another generation Corvette and spew vitriol, as if their own choice wasn't evidence enough of what they either prefer or can afford. They find it necessary to go out of their way to offer unsolicited negativity, in the adolescent form of spewed-out garbage without regard to camaraderie or the shared adoration most of us here have to our beloved cars. Very sad. I personally love all Corvettes and would never go out of my way to insult or denigrate one. Every single one I see turns my head and every single one I encounter I spend time to admire. Whether at the track, on the road or at a show.

My brother-in-law has a C6 Base. I have a C6Z and and C7Z. He purchased the C6 base because he also loves Corvettes and that is what he could afford. It is a gorgeous, capable car that I heap sincere praise on every time he comes over with it. I told him if he ever wants to sell it that I'm first in line, as I love the clean lines, sculptured curves and confident posture of his car. Never would I disparage his Corvette just so I can feel better about myself and my own choices. And one of my closest friends has a C6ZR1 and a C7ZR1. He treats me and my cars the same way I treat my brother-in-law's, with sincere admiration and respect. If he has a negative opinion then I've never heard it, and he has never attempted to make me feel like my cars are any less beautiful or capable than his (even though both of his cars are both of those things).

"I prefer the styling of the C6 generation" is vastly different than saying "XX generation is butt ugly, agonizing, hate it etc". One is a statement of preference and the other is a self-aggrandizing, puerile attempt at post-purchase rationalization typically uttered by those with small, unsure minds who repeat it to feel better about themselves via insults and negativity. To continue to utter and repeat such idiocy for years on a site dedicated to Corvettes is embarrassing and shameful. Grow up.
Lighten up Francis. Some people here like strawberry ice cream but not all brands of strawberry ice cream. Same with Corvettes. We all like Corvettes.....just prefer some generations better than others.
The following 2 users liked this post by Scuba Ghost:
captain vette (03-24-2019), jimijam (03-26-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 11:01 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Originally Posted by NDMIKE88
Lighten up Francis. Some people here like strawberry ice cream but not all brands of strawberry ice cream. Same with Corvettes. We all like Corvettes.....just prefer some generations better than others.
That was exactly my point, but it appears it was lost on you.
The following users liked this post:
dvilin (03-26-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 11:36 AM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

Received 1,314 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by NDMIKE88
When the C7 1st arrived I didn't like the way it looked. Fast forward to today and my opinion hasn't changed. I still enjoy my C6 and have no plans to get rid of it.
Yup, completely agree. I think the exterior design of the C7 is just not very appealing. It looks a bit "ricey" honestly and the design seems more based on current trends rather than uniquely Corvette.

And honestly, I think Chevrolet just made too damned many of them.

Add to the fact that it seems like Chevrolet has been ****-teasing everyone for what seems like years about the mid-engine C8.
Old 03-24-2019, 02:07 PM
OneBadLT123
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by K-Spaz
The greatest Corvette sales numbers of all time were during the C4 era. Followed by the C7 sales. I guess I must be massively in the minority because when the C-4 came out I was highly disappointed in the way it looked. When the C7 came out I was highly disappointed in the way it looked. No it may have taken 30 years but evidently I was a purveyor of things to come because I don't think you can spend $25,000 for a C4 nowadays and that would have been for a ZR1. Which by the way was a $50,000 option or so. This at a time when a rare C3 might bring a quarter of a million dollars. And it shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence when talking about quality versus a C4 C5 C6 or C7. There are C fives that bring good money. There are C6 that bring good money. I suppose time will tell but the trend does not bode well for the C7 holding value. And yet they sold like hotcakes.
I would directly relate that to the state of the economy at those times. In the 90's, people were willing to buy expensive flashy toys as the country was in money making mode with tech booms. Just like the last 5-7 years today since the recession. Jobs are plentiful and people are making money now.

The C6 was a generation at a time where the economy was absolute crap. Early C5's sold extremely high numbers but the C6 was a victim of the times. 2005-2012 were not good years for peoples spending habits as a whole in the US. High fuel prices, defunct loans, job cuts...etc.

So I wouldn't say its related to the appearance of the cars. People will buy a corvette regardless of the looks if they can afford one. As long as its the American sports car.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:25 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by OneBadLT123
I would directly relate that to the state of the economy at those times. In the 90's, people were willing to buy expensive flashy toys as the country was in money making mode with tech booms. Just like the last 5-7 years today since the recession. Jobs are plentiful and people are making money now.

The C6 was a generation at a time where the economy was absolute crap. Early C5's sold extremely high numbers but the C6 was a victim of the times. 2005-2012 were not good years for peoples spending habits as a whole in the US. High fuel prices, defunct loans, job cuts...etc.

So I wouldn't say its related to the appearance of the cars. People will buy a corvette regardless of the looks if they can afford one. As long as its the American sports car.
I can't begin to guess the factors that influence the sales numbers. I'm sure there are many. I just know that when I really I liked the looks of the cars , they tended to not sell very well. And of course the inverse was true.

If I compare C6 sales to C7 sales, and I try to factor it with the economy, I agree with you on some of that point but I just don't think the economy was that much better in the C7 era. Maybe peoples spending habits change the minute they have $5 in their checking, who knows. But the C7 sales ran roughly double what they did in the C6 era. That's a great thing, don't get me wrong. But I also think it had to do with the C7 not being a massive increase in price, almost like the value was better. And actually the price of a ZO6 came down as I recall. Then again in 2014, people came right out of the gate and paid retail like it was nothing. And if they financed, some did it at a horrifying rate.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:21 PM
Yarbie
Burning Brakes

Received 391 Likes on 218 Posts

Even more so the Corvette is nearing its end. The C8 will be its farewell song. All electric cars don't qualify as sports cars.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:34 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

All this C-7 bashing is funny. Maybe most C-6 owners don't like the rear of a C-7 is because they are always looking at it during a race !!!!...........
Virtual Geezer (03-26-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 04:35 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Jughead
I would consider a deeply discounted, loaded ZO6 Convertible.
A ZO-6 Vert ??.........
Old 03-24-2019, 05:24 PM
*Trip*
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

So the real reason there are so many c7s on the lots is that the dealers have to order their max in order to have allotment of the C8.....
Old 03-24-2019, 05:39 PM
sweezer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Widebody GS and Z are nice looking, but the narrow is hideous. C6 catalog of cars are much more palatable.
Old 03-25-2019, 04:29 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by windyC6
A ZO-6 Vert ??.........
jimijam (03-26-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 10:15 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Originally Posted by sweezer
Widebody GS and Z are nice looking, but the narrow is hideous. C6 catalog of cars are much more palatable.
The "NARROW" is faster !!.....
Steel City (03-25-2019)
Old 03-26-2019, 07:16 AM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,954 Likes on 941 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6
All this C-7 bashing is funny. Maybe most C-6 owners don't like the rear of a C-7 is because they are always looking at it during a race !!!!...........
You took the words right out of my mouth...very true.. HAHAHA Its so ridiculous when older generation owners knock newer ones...as if GM didn't make huge improvements over each generation... Oh by the way - I own a C6 and a C7 - so dont think Im bashing the C6 - but there is no comparison to the C7...period.

Last edited by Mayor111; 03-26-2019 at 07:17 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To the C7 is AGONIZING

Old 03-26-2019, 10:21 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Mayor111
You took the words right out of my mouth...very true.. HAHAHA Its so ridiculous when older generation owners knock newer ones...as if GM didn't make huge improvements over each generation... Oh by the way - I own a C6 and a C7 - so dont think Im bashing the C6 - but there is no comparison to the C7...period.
LOL.......I get what your saying, but don't mis-understand. I'm not condoning the looks of the C-7 rear end. The 7 rear end does look awkward at best. I also own a 6 but i'm not so bias that I listen to the C-6 owners that are so bias that they don't want to admit that the C-7 has many advantages over the beloved C-6. The looks of either is of course subjective, but after inspecting the interior of a C-7 i can definitely tell the improvement over the C-6 in that area. And of course i'm sure in bone stock configuration that the C-7 will out perform the C-7. I love my C-6.......but i'm not so bias that I wouldn't trade it for a C-7 in the same condition......
Old 03-26-2019, 10:28 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,153 Likes on 5,984 Posts

A+ thread... quality content.
captain vette (03-26-2019)
Old 03-26-2019, 11:53 AM
reasonable suspicion
Melting Slicks

Received 324 Likes on 247 Posts

I actually wish that I liked the c7z styling as I would buy one..I’ve tried to like the style....the overproduction of the c7z06 has really made them a bargain. I could overlook all the overheating problems, overweight problems,transmission problems,and wheel problems but I just can’t overlook the polarizing styling....it looks horrible to me. They wanted to woo the younger crowd with this style and I guess that now makes me old because I don’t care for it.

Quick Reply: the C7 is AGONIZING