C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MGM Short throw shifter problems

Old 03-22-2019, 12:17 PM
vetteJPJ
Burning Brakes

Received 358 Likes on 229 Posts
Default MGM Short throw shifter problems

Just over a year old. My MGW shifter is a mess. Sloppy and can hardly get it into 1st or 2nd. Is there a fix? Just get a different brand? 2006 Coupe LS2 6M.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:26 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

First step is to pull it apart and make sure nothing came loose. Pretty simple to do.

Other than that, if it is the shifter, I would see if you can warranty it with MGW, send it in and get repaired if it did fail. Odds are it is just a loose bolt though.

I'm a big fan of the Tmod box over the MGW. Not a big fan of the MGW even when they are working good.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:38 PM
car2fast4you
Melting Slicks

Received 525 Likes on 282 Posts

It's very likely that the clamp on rod leading to the transmission has come loose. It happened to me as well. It amazes me that GM would design that connection to rely solely on friction to hold it tight.

Last edited by car2fast4you; 03-22-2019 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:46 PM
vetteJPJ
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the info and quick response!
Old 03-22-2019, 01:08 PM
Oldguychuck
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I would also give MGW a call. They are always willing to warranty 100% on anything they make and sell. It is a small outfit and you can easily speak to the owner to get it right.
In another vehicle I had the MGW and loved it. They owner will install for free if you buy in person as he wants to make sure it is installed right.
Again, do not hesitate to call MGW and they can trouble shoot any issues you are having..
Old 03-22-2019, 01:37 PM
biker1059
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

If I remember correctly, mine came with a centering tool to make sure everything was in alignment. I'm sure something is loose and just needs realigned.
Old 03-22-2019, 04:02 PM
Garry in AZ
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

The problem is very likely that the linkage rod bolt has come loose. This is an easy fix, especially if you have the alignment tool that came with the shifter, but it can be done without it too. The MGW is a very high quality shifter, and when properly installed, will not ever feel sloppy or cause shifting problems.
Watch their video: https://www.mgwshifters.com/shifters/corvettes/88
Old 03-22-2019, 04:21 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Garry in AZ
The problem is very likely that the linkage rod bolt has come loose. This is an easy fix, especially if you have the alignment tool that came with the shifter, but it can be done without it too. The MGW is a very high quality shifter, and when properly installed, will not ever feel sloppy or cause shifting problems.
Watch their video: https://www.mgwshifters.com/shifters/corvettes/88
Going to disagree on that, even installed correctly it causes shifting issues, but to each their own.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:02 PM
Garry in AZ
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

Hey Unreal, I live in Gilbert too. Howdy neighbor! Maybe sometime you can drive my GS with the MGW in it and show me what you don't like about it.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:27 PM
vetteJPJ
Burning Brakes

I contacted MGW and they gave me some ideas on what to look for. We are taking it apart now. I'll let you know what we find.
The following users liked this post:
Vet Interested (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 07:03 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Garry in AZ
Hey Unreal, I live in Gilbert too. Howdy neighbor! Maybe sometime you can drive my GS with the MGW in it and show me what you don't like about it.
No need, as I have an MGW. It shifts fine for around town, if you like short notchy shifts. High rpm 7k+ shifts it like to block out gears. Depends on what you want out of a shifter. I want a shifter for those high RPM shifts, not cruising around town, so for me and many others that race like that, it is a big down grade. For the car show crowd or just cruise around, that like the short shifts, go for it.

Note, may not be nearly an issue in a grandsport as they don't typically rev to 7k+ where the MGW seems to cause issues.

Last edited by Unreal; 03-22-2019 at 07:04 PM.
Old 03-23-2019, 12:50 AM
Ahrmike
Burning Brakes

Received 174 Likes on 145 Posts

i felt that on cold drives + with the round ball ****. With their gripper stick its been much much better.
Old 03-24-2019, 05:50 PM
vetteJPJ
Burning Brakes

Finally got the time to check it out. No obviously loose anything in there. I torqued everything down tight and put it back together. Now feels like new! Thanks for all the advice. The people at MGW were also very helpful, courteous and quick to respond. Love this forum.
Old 03-24-2019, 05:57 PM
CrystalRedTed
Pro

Received 215 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteJPJ
Finally got the time to check it out. No obviously loose anything in there. I torqued everything down tight and put it back together. Now feels like new! Thanks for all the advice. The people at MGW were also very helpful, courteous and quick to respond. Love this forum.
Glad you got it sorted out. I'm still loving my MGW.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:06 PM
kevinkar
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
No need, as I have an MGW. It shifts fine for around town, if you like short notchy shifts. High rpm 7k+ shifts it like to block out gears. Depends on what you want out of a shifter. I want a shifter for those high RPM shifts, not cruising around town, so for me and many others that race like that, it is a big down grade. For the car show crowd or just cruise around, that like the short shifts, go for it.

Note, may not be nearly an issue in a grandsport as they don't typically rev to 7k+ where the MGW seems to cause issues.
I'm still not clear on how this is the fault of the MGW. The OEM shifter is definitely way worse especially going 2-3. MGW is so tight and precise, I don't see how the shifter could be "blocking out" gears regardless of RPM. I'm not trying to argue with you, I'm trying to understand what you mean. Replacing a longer throw and looser shifter with a short-throw notchy shifter is the whole reason to move to an MGW or any other short-throw shifter for that matter.

If you dislike it so much, why haven't you replaced it yet and, if you do, what is going to be better? OR are you wanting a race-only shifter that won't feel as usable in "around town"?

Trying to understand.....
Old 03-24-2019, 06:08 PM
CrystalRedTed
Pro

Received 215 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinkar
I'm still not clear on how this is the fault of the MGW. The OEM shifter is definitely way worse especially going 2-3. MGW is so tight and precise, I don't see how the shifter could be "blocking out" gears regardless of RPM. I'm not trying to argue with you, I'm trying to understand what you mean. Replacing a longer throw and looser shifter with a short-throw notchy shifter is the whole reason to move to an MGW or any other short-throw shifter for that matter.

If you dislike it so much, why haven't you replaced it yet and, if you do, what is going to be better? OR are you wanting a race-only shifter that won't feel as usable in "around town"?

Maybe his MGW has an alignment problem? My MGW does great at high RPM 2-3 shifts. It was the stock shifter that gave me problems if I didn't slide it just right.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:39 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Originally Posted by kevinkar

The OEM shifter isn't sloppy or unprecise, unless it is worn out, loose or broken. The MGW doesnt have as much leverage as stock shifter, so in racing situations, at high RPMs, it does not work as well.

I will replace it as soon as I get around to it. The Tmod custom box keep the leverage of the stock shifter, but gets rid of the parts that wear out. Best of both worlds.

Not an alignment issue. Not just me. Any time you are at a track, or see people talking about having shifting issues racing, 99/100 times you ask them what shifter they have and it is MGW. Then they swap back to stock (with a good lower box, not a worn out old one) and all the problems go away.

Most people that are loving a new shifter, MGW or otherwise are the same people who replace the 8-10 year old good years with new fresh tires and rave OMG these tires are the bomb, they are amazing, when really they went from old worn out tires to fresh new ones, and it wouldn't really matter what brand or type they used, they would feel amazing compared to what was in there.

MGW is a trade off. Shorter notichier shifts with less leverage than stock. Some people love that, some don't. There is no right or wrong. A lot of people I know with MGW lengthen the rod as much as possible, put on a longer ****, etc etc to get back as much of that leverage as possible.

Last edited by Unreal; 03-24-2019 at 07:42 PM.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:25 PM
whit1
Burning Brakes

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

I hated the Stock shifter on my 13 Gs. Switched to the Mgw, love the precise short shifts. I would never go back to stock shifter.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:32 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 730 Likes on 472 Posts

After about 40k miles, the oem shifter was rubbery, sloppy, worn and would miss third gear at WOT. Swapped in the MGW shifter and lower box, night and day difference. Positive feel going into the gear gate, slightly shorter throw and never missed 3rd gear. Currently with 83k miles, the MGW feels like the day I installed it! Yes, at 40k miles the oem shifter bushings wore out and "O" ring was dangling on the shifter rod. Compare the quality of the oem shifter/box and MGW shifter/box and you will know why the oem shifter does not last. I never even tracked my car. Come on GM you can do better than that! The oem shifter is a P.O.S.

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 03-25-2019 at 09:34 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To MGM Short throw shifter problems

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MGM Short throw shifter problems