C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0171 Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 03:27 PM
REDSEE5
Burning Brakes

Received 177 Likes on 108 Posts
Default P0171 Help!

Hi guys! Its been a hell of a month for the Vette. 05, M6, LTs OR X Pipe and a BTR stage 3 cam.....Went through some intermittent no starting issues so I replaced about $1000 worth of parts before I finally fixed it (column lock module was the problem) then I hit a deer one day after fixing it. I made an appointment with the body shop and still took it out every once in a while because the salt was off the roads. A few days before taking it in to the body shop I was on the highway in 6th doing about 75-80 and it started misfiring which caused the SES light to flash. As soon as I backed out of the throttle it would stop flashing and run fine. I replicated this a couple more times on the way home.

So, a few days later I take it to the body shop and the SES light pops on and it starts misfiring. I dropped it off and my body guy pulled the code P0171 System too lean-Bank 1. When I picked it up yesterday the light was not on as he had cleared it, but it was still running like garbage. It was only a 10 min drive home but the light still never popped in despite how bad it was misfiring. It has two new 02 sensors so I don't think the bank 1 sensor is bad unless the deer messed it up. It looks totally fine and the wiring is all good. I'm going to clean the MAF sensor when I get home but don't think it is that because that would give me a code on both banks, correct?

Also, I cant really check for a vacuum leak and listen for a change in idle because it idles horribly now with the cam so I doubt I would notice a difference.

Sorry for the long post, but, does anyone have any ideas or can anyone point me in the right direction as to where to begin? Thanks!

Last edited by REDSEE5; 03-22-2019 at 03:28 PM.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:44 AM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,116 Likes on 693 Posts

Look at this TSB, especially after a crash. Is there a new gap between radiator shroud and front bumper?

#08-06-04-040: Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) - Check Engine Light On, DTCs P0171 and/or P0174 Set (Perform Repair As Outlined) - (Aug 13, 2008)

Condition
Some customers may comment that the check engine light is on.

A scan tool may reveal DTCs P0171 and/or P0174 set in history or current. If the air flow to the air intake/air cleaner assembly is disturbed, the DTCs may be induced.

Cause
This condition may be caused by a gap between the upper radiator air baffle and the bumper beam combined with some beam holes. The gap and holes may cause an air flow disturbance to the air intake/air cleaner assembly. Refer to the pictures below for further clarification.

Thread with pics:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-04-040-a.html

The following users liked this post:
Landru (03-23-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 09:12 AM
REDSEE5
Burning Brakes

Wow! Good find! I will certainly check this out later this evening and let you know what I find. Thank you!
Old 03-24-2019, 02:07 PM
REDSEE5
Burning Brakes

Just an update.....It was the bank 1 02 sensor. Deer must have messed it up as I just put a new one in 500 or so miles ago.

Get notified of new replies

To P0171 Help!

Quick Reply: P0171 Help!