C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Might buy 2006 C6

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 03:51 PM
Hunter245
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Might buy 2006 C6

Any Input I looked at a 2006 low mileage(18k) red corvette today very clean, bone stock, dealer willing to go down to 24,500 any opinions, I have heard about problems with the harmonic balancer on those years any comments is appreciated. Thanks in advance
Old 03-23-2019, 06:47 PM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

I have seen the 2006 with low miles a few thousand less. The dealer may negotiate more if you offer him a deal to buy it now. Take someone with you that is well versed with Corvettes to check it out. You can check the HB for wobble and the dealer will replace it. Some people have issues with the HB. Mine was replaced at 18k miles. If it’s not under warranty then replace it with a power bond or ATI balancer as they will last forever. Replacing it with a factory means it may have to be replaced down the road again. I used to live on LI. Is this for sale at a Chevy dealer? Get a carfax report plus get a service report for free by going to a dealer with the vin number and asking a service advisor to run the maintenance report for you. Best of luck.
The following users liked this post:
Hunter245 (03-23-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 09:19 PM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

Coupe? Automatic, Navigation, Z51, both tops?
2006 is a good car.
All C6s have the HB issue.
New York price, sales tax, fees and all out the door for $24.5 would seems okay especially with 18K mileage.
Besides standard maintenance the radiator DexCoolant should have been changed twice by now.
Also note a set of runflat tires can run near $2K, check the date code and depth.
Of course inspect for paint work is prudent.
Sure you can search/ hold out/ offer for a lower price.
$24.5 could by a 06 convertible auto w/ Nav & Z51 in my area.
Good luck with your decision.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:43 PM
Hunter245
Advanced

thanks that was not out the door price that was before tax n tags yes thanks will ck tire date tomorrow
Old 03-24-2019, 12:27 AM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

When I go to a car dealer I really want to just punch them right in the gut, and that doesn't seem like a steal to me. It's not a bad deal if the car is really really nice, but by the same token, no one is going to be calling the FBI to track you down for Grand Theft Auto. I really prefer the latter.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:38 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by enventr
I have seen the 2006 with low miles a few thousand less. The dealer may negotiate more if you offer him a deal to buy it now. Take someone with you that is well versed with Corvettes to check it out. You can check the HB for wobble and the dealer will replace it. Some people have issues with the HB. Mine was replaced at 18k miles. If it’s not under warranty then replace it with a power bond or ATI balancer as they will last forever. Replacing it with a factory means it may have to be replaced down the road again. I used to live on LI. Is this for sale at a Chevy dealer? Get a carfax report plus get a service report for free by going to a dealer with the vin number and asking a service advisor to run the maintenance report for you. Best of luck.
Correction.....The dealer "Might" replace it......
Old 03-24-2019, 05:04 PM
Hunter245
Advanced

Update i offered the dealer 23,500 plus tax n tags no BS dealer and add on fees , they said theres a 375.00 dealer prep fee i said don't prep it il wash when i get it home they said the tires have a lot of life i said they were manufactured 26 th week of 2007 and need to be replaced my guess they will wait for someone young and dumb to sell it to Thanks for the input
Old 03-24-2019, 05:10 PM
revival1
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts

Buy it. I have a 2006 I love the car.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:02 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenny94945
Coupe? Automatic, Navigation, Z51, both tops?
2006 is a good car.
All C6s have the HB issue.
New York price, sales tax, fees and all out the door for $24.5 would seems okay especially with 18K mileage.
Besides standard maintenance the radiator DexCoolant should have been changed twice by now.
Also note a set of runflat tires can run near $2K, check the date code and depth.
Of course inspect for paint work is prudent.
Sure you can search/ hold out/ offer for a lower price.
$24.5 could by a 06 convertible auto w/ Nav & Z51 in my area.
Good luck with your decision.
Q: Since when does the "price" include sales tax, license, or other incidental fees?

A: Unless negotiated as such . . . NEVER.

Originally Posted by Hunter245
thanks that was not out the door price that was before tax n tags yes thanks will ck tire date tomorrow
Old 03-24-2019, 06:10 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Update i offered the dealer 23,500 plus tax n tags no BS dealer and add on fees , they said theres a 375.00 dealer prep fee i said don't prep it il wash when i get it home they said the tires have a lot of life i said they were manufactured 26 th week of 2007 and need to be replaced my guess they will wait for someone young and dumb to sell it to Thanks for the input
As I posted in another thread, don't get "****-ized" over $1-2k. If you sense a price is fair on a car that suits your wants, and checks out otherwise, buy it.

After a month or two of smiling every time you take it out, the grand or two will be a forgotten bit of trivia. You can hang on and search for months -- until you find the perfect car at a price a bit lower -- but then you've lost a whole season of driving . . . and that's something you cannot buy.

Depending on how old you are (and where you live) it matters.

Attachment 48333511
The following users liked this post:
Jeff T. (03-24-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 08:23 PM
Hunter245
Advanced

tks good point
Old 03-24-2019, 11:10 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Any Input I looked at a 2006 low mileage(18k) red corvette today very clean, bone stock, dealer willing to go down to 24,500 any opinions, I have heard about problems with the harmonic balancer on those years any comments is appreciated. Thanks in advance
Hunter, if you really want to understand pricing, do a nationwide search online (cars.com, cargurus, autotrader) using the parameters/filters that meets what you are looking for. You will see dozens, if not hundreds, of cars to compare to. Looking at one car and trying to decide if the price is good is a waste of time. More time invested on the front end will make you happier on the back end. BTW, if low miles trip your trigger, expect to pay quite a bit more than the car is worth, IMO only. For comparison, you can find '08/'09 coupes with 50K miles all day long for that price, or less, if you do your research.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:40 PM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruze
Q: Since when does the "price" include sales tax, license, or other incidental fees?

A: Unless negotiated as such . . . NEVER.
That is always good bargaining start. Get me that car bottom line for that price out the door and I will sign, I don't want any additional fees above that price. I try that tactic to get them to come down. Of course they don't really get rid of the fees, they lower the price a certain amount and then add the fees... but...Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Last edited by SPSandman; 03-24-2019 at 11:54 PM.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:40 AM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
Hunter, if you really want to understand pricing, do a nationwide search online (cars.com, cargurus, autotrader) using the parameters/filters that meets what you are looking for. You will see dozens, if not hundreds, of cars to compare to. Looking at one car and trying to decide if the price is good is a waste of time. More time invested on the front end will make you happier on the back end. BTW, if low miles trip your trigger, expect to pay quite a bit more than the car is worth, IMO only. For comparison, you can find '08/'09 coupes with 50K miles all day long for that price, or less, if you do your research.
An even better indicator is to go to Ebay and once you've got your target car selected, go to the left column and look only for completed listings and iirc, you can select listings that sold separate from ones that just ended without bids. NOW you know what they're selling for. Real live check-write'n folks plunked down $xyz...
Old 03-25-2019, 10:12 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruze
As I posted in another thread, don't get "****-ized" over $1-2k. If you sense a price is fair on a car that suits your wants, and checks out otherwise, buy it.

After a month or two of smiling every time you take it out, the grand or two will be a forgotten bit of trivia. You can hang on and search for months -- until you find the perfect car at a price a bit lower -- but then you've lost a whole season of driving . . . and that's something you cannot buy.

Depending on how old you are (and where you live) it matters.

HUH ??.....Whatch you mean Bruzy....you won't turn around and drive back 10 miles just to save 5 cents a gallon on gas ??......
Old 03-25-2019, 10:52 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by windyC6
HUH ??.....Whatch you mean Bruzy....you won't turn around and drive back 10 miles just to save 5 cents a gallon on gas ??......
LOL windy, nope I'm not one of those guys.

Attachment 48331950

Get notified of new replies

To Might buy 2006 C6

Quick Reply: Might buy 2006 C6