C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did My Motor Blow? Hope Not! Video and Sound.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 06:48 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Received 522 Likes on 370 Posts

It's funny this would start immediately after a oil change. I checked the oil level 5 times and it is right were it should be. Even thou the dipstick is correct how do I know the oil is actually circulating .Could I have done something while changing the oil to cause this?
The following users liked this post:
Steel City (04-16-2019)
Old 04-07-2019, 07:01 PM
cadyshac
Drifting

Received 596 Likes on 393 Posts
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Hopefully it's something belt driven outside of the engine, good luck to you, I hope it's something simple.
Old 04-07-2019, 07:02 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,066 Likes on 2,073 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

So, nothing I told you in my post seems to interest you ?

ok .... good luck
vett_guy (04-08-2019)
Old 04-07-2019, 07:13 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 775 Likes on 504 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Oh Boy
2013 Grand Sport, bought new and babied for 26k miles. I changed the oil yesterday (dry sump) like I always do every year at this time. I only put 1000 miles since the last one. Always Mobil1. That's a little background. I have been using the car these two days and noticed when I was parking it today a ticking or whatever sound. I opened the hood to listen to this. At first I thought it might be the compressor but on or of makes no difference (doesn't mean it can't be the clutch) However the sound seems to be coming from all over consistently, each side of the motor, each wheel well and underneath (from bending down and listening). Tell me I'm not screwed, but if it is I have to accept it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xoud0W4mMs
It would be helpful to post another video of the car running just slightly off idle. A bad lifter will have a pretty distinctive sound if you rev it up just a little bit.
Old 04-07-2019, 07:14 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

It sounds exactly like when I had a lifter problem on my'05. Never had any codes.
Old 04-07-2019, 07:24 PM
Old Man in a C
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 133 Posts

I'll bet my money on an external interference. Never heard an aluminum part make that sound.
Old 04-07-2019, 07:27 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
That don't sound like anything internal inside the engine.

Get under the car and look at the harmonic balancer when it's not running ... Is the front of the balancer chewed up from rubbing up against the steering rack (that sets right in front of it) ?

Does the rear of the balancer look like it's been rubbing up against the timing chain cover ?

If that's ok ... remove the serpentine belt (the long one .. not the short one that turns the AC compressor)

Start it up and let it idle for about 15 seconds without the belt (won't hurt anything) .... Does that noise go away then ?

If the noise then goes away, you have a problem with one of these:

1. Water pump
2. Alternator
3. Power Steering Pump
4. Belt Tensioner
5. One of the 2 Idler Pulleys

Of course what you say interest me, I take every reply seriously that's why I ask. The HB looks perfectly normal as is everything around it. I don't know how to take the belt off.
Steel City (04-16-2019)
Old 04-07-2019, 07:32 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

There is not that much I can do here as I am knowledge limited. I just went and started it again and it seems louder and it is definitely rpm dependent. Goes up and down with throttle. I looked in the oil cap on the head right after I shut it and it doesn't seem really wet in there. Shouldn't that be coated in oil? Here's a pic 10 seconds after shutting it off.

Steel City (04-16-2019)
Old 04-07-2019, 07:34 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by subfloor@centurytrans
It would be helpful to post another video of the car running just slightly off idle. A bad lifter will have a pretty distinctive sound if you rev it up just a little bit.
Ok let me try that and see if you can decipher anything. Be right back.
Steel City (04-16-2019)
Old 04-07-2019, 07:42 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

I don't know how to take the belt off.
Very simple ...
Old 04-07-2019, 07:43 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Here ya go, hope this helps, on the good side!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Te1P...ature=youtu.be
Steel City (04-16-2019)
Old 04-07-2019, 07:58 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Still sounds like a belt, or something rubbing . . . ? Or possibly an exhaust leak, which I believe has already been suggested. The curious thing to me is that it happened right after you changed the oil. That is a BIG clue because it's probably not a coincidence, but I don't know what the clue is. I'm watching Columbo in a couple of minutes -- I'll ask him, lol.

You have to rule out one thing at a time. I would do what Turbo suggested and remove the belt. That would tell you a lot. Do you have any mechanically-inclined buddies that could help you?
Old 04-07-2019, 08:01 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 775 Likes on 504 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

That definitely sounds like a bad lifter and it absolutely could have started as a result of the oil change.

The lifters in our cars are hydraulic meaning they're fluid filled with oil. When you drain the oil the lifters tend to bleed down which is why a motor can sometimes be a little noisy on initial startup after an oil change since it takes a few seconds for them to fill up again.

Even though the oil change itself didn't cause the issue, my guess is that it pushed a borderline bad lifter over the edge because after it bled down when you drained the oil, some internal fault prevented it from filling back up properly so basically instead of riding on a cushion of oil you've got metal to metal contact inside.

The good news (and this is speaking from experience, not wild speculation) the motor isn't necessarily shot. At best you're looking at having to replace the lifters, at worst you may also have to replace the cam too if the lobes got chewed up.
Landru (04-09-2019)
Old 04-07-2019, 08:13 PM
Joshchewbacca
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like a lifter tick to me. I’m not sure what the squealing sound is but when you moved the camera to the other side of the motor you can destinctively hear a lifter tick
Old 04-07-2019, 08:14 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

That definitely sounds like a bad lifter and it absolutely could have started as a result of the oil change.

The lifters in our cars are hydraulic meaning they're fluid filled with oil. When you drain the oil the lifters tend to bleed down which is why a motor can sometimes be a little noisy on initial startup after an oil change since it takes a few seconds for them to fill up again.

Even though the oil change itself didn't cause the issue, my guess is that it pushed a borderline bad lifter over the edge because after it bled down when you drained the oil, some internal fault prevented it from filling back up properly so basically instead of riding on a cushion of oil you've got metal to metal contact inside.

The good news (and this is speaking from experience, not wild speculation) the motor isn't necessarily shot. At best you're looking at having to replace the lifters, at worst you may also have to replace the cam too if the lobes got chewed up.
That makes perfect sense however, I have used the car for a day and it was perfectly quiet. When you shut the car off and don't use it for hours isn't that the same thing as when you change the oil? Meaning all the oil is in the bottom anyway and it bleeds down every time you let it sit? Or in other words this would have happened anyway without the oil change because every time you let the car sit it bleeds down anyway. Just trying to understand this. Ball park figure of replacing lifters?
Steel City (04-16-2019)
Old 04-07-2019, 08:19 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Of course I am clutching at straws here but wouldn't a bad lifter sound come from the area of the bad lifter? This sound although it does sound like a lifter seems to be coming from all over and not one distinct area.
Steel City (04-16-2019)
Old 04-07-2019, 08:25 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
It sounds exactly like when I had a lifter problem on my'05. Never had any codes.
Drove it for another 50,000 miles before replacing the engine. Never had any noticable loss of power. It did get increasingly more embarrassing at stop lights.

Get notified of new replies

To Did My Motor Blow? Hope Not! Video and Sound.

Old 04-07-2019, 08:25 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Of course anything can happen, but just playing the odds: The chances of a bad lifter on a "bulletproof" LS, with 26k miles, "babied since new," are really slim.

But we shall see, in the fullness of time . . .

Old 04-07-2019, 08:28 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Oh Boy ...

Bottom line ... When you find out what was making that noise from your engine, you be damned sure to let us know what the problem was .... Ok
Old 04-07-2019, 08:37 PM
coletrickle35
Safety Car

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '19-'20

If you can't remove a serpentine belt you have no business changing the oil
Steel City (04-08-2019)

Quick Reply: Did My Motor Blow? Hope Not! Video and Sound.