C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did My Motor Blow? Hope Not! Video and Sound.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 03:02 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Received 522 Likes on 370 Posts
Default Did My Motor Blow? Hope Not! Video and Sound. (UPDATE)

2013 Grand Sport, bought new and babied for 26k miles. I changed the oil yesterday (dry sump) like I always do every year at this time. I only put 1000 miles since the last one. Always Mobil1. That's a little background. I have been using the car these two days and noticed when I was parking it today a ticking or whatever sound. I opened the hood to listen to this. At first I thought it might be the compressor but on or of makes no difference (doesn't mean it can't be the clutch) However the sound seems to be coming from all over consistently, each side of the motor, each wheel well and underneath (from bending down and listening). Tell me I'm not screwed, but if it is I have to accept it.

Last edited by Oh Boy; 05-14-2019 at 02:39 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Oh Boy:
Steel City (04-16-2019), SteveJewels (08-27-2020)
Old 04-07-2019, 03:14 PM
airmed2
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 190 Posts

Wouldn't a 'blown' motor throw a code?

Last edited by airmed2; 04-07-2019 at 03:15 PM.
Old 04-07-2019, 03:18 PM
ShagVette
Safety Car

Received 915 Likes on 426 Posts

Torque tube?
Old 04-07-2019, 03:43 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Originally Posted by airmed2
Wouldn't a 'blown' motor throw a code?
This. If the motor was blown there'd be several codes thrown.
Old 04-07-2019, 03:46 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,046 Likes on 820 Posts

Pretty loud, possibly a bad/stuck lifter?
If lifter hope it didn't wipeout a cam lobe or 2.
Old 04-07-2019, 03:52 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,466 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

Originally Posted by Landru
Pretty loud, possibly a bad/stuck lifter?
If lifter hope it didn't wipeout a cam lobe or 2.
oil pressure reading is:_____________________ does it increase in frequency with rpm increase:__________________

you may want to remove plug wires one at a time to see if you may be able to isolate it to a particular cylinder.................. use caution when doing this, use tools to remove wires which are insulated so you don't get voltage through you...........
The following users liked this post:
Landru (04-07-2019)
Old 04-07-2019, 03:54 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,066 Likes on 2,073 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

That don't sound like anything internal inside the engine.

Get under the car and look at the harmonic balancer when it's not running ... Is the front of the balancer chewed up from rubbing up against the steering rack (that sets right in front of it) ?

Does the rear of the balancer look like it's been rubbing up against the timing chain cover ?

If that's ok ... remove the serpentine belt (the long one .. not the short one that turns the AC compressor)

Start it up and let it idle for about 15 seconds without the belt (won't hurt anything) .... Does that noise go away then ?

If the noise then goes away, you have a problem with one of these:

1. Water pump
2. Alternator
3. Power Steering Pump
4. Belt Tensioner
5. One of the 2 Idler Pulleys

Last edited by Turbo6TA; 04-07-2019 at 04:30 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Turbo6TA:
door2416 (04-09-2019), rc51racer (05-20-2019)
Old 04-07-2019, 03:57 PM
TCW
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 245 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-13,'16-'17, '19

Sounds like your harmonic balancer is rubbing the steering rack.

Tom
Old 04-07-2019, 04:03 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by rkj427
oil pressure reading is:_____________________ does it increase in frequency with rpm increase:__________________

you may want to remove plug wires one at a time to see if you may be able to isolate it to a particular cylinder.................. use caution when doing this, use tools to remove wires which are insulated so you don't get voltage through you...........
Yes, that's the crucial thing to know. Sounds like a belt chirp or something related to that.

Just off the cuff, the odds of this being a "blown" motor are somewhere between Slim and none, and I saw Slim headin' outta town at high noon.

To me, a "blown" motor is one that doesn't run because it broke a rod, dropped a valve, etc.

The OP mentioned clutch (?) but if it was, the sound would likely change when you push the pedal in.
Old 04-07-2019, 04:12 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 775 Likes on 504 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
This. If the motor was blown there'd be several codes thrown.
Uh...no, not true at all.
Old 04-07-2019, 04:35 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,763 Likes on 1,127 Posts

Originally Posted by Oh Boy
2013 Grand Sport, bought new and babied for 26k miles. I changed the oil yesterday (dry sump) like I always do every year at this time. I only put 1000 miles since the last one. Always Mobil1. That's a little background. I have been using the car these two days and noticed when I was parking it today a ticking or whatever sound. I opened the hood to listen to this. At first I thought it might be the compressor but on or of makes no difference (doesn't mean it can't be the clutch) However the sound seems to be coming from all over consistently, each side of the motor, each wheel well and underneath (from bending down and listening). Tell me I'm not screwed, but if it is I have to accept it.
I watched the video, and I don't see any HB wobble. The frequency of the sound is about 4 or 5 beats per second, which gives us 240 to 300 beats per minute. The idle speed is at least double that, so if the HB was rubbing, you'd expect the sound to occur with each revolution. On the other hand, the valve train speed per lifter is would be 300 per minute at an idle speed of 600 rpm, so it could be a lifter.
Old 04-07-2019, 04:44 PM
Chevyrelic
Pro

Received 251 Likes on 142 Posts

Have you tried using one of the cheap HF engine stethoscopes to pinpoint where the noise originates?
Old 04-07-2019, 04:56 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Originally Posted by subfloor@centurytrans
Uh...no, not true at all.
Then I'll believe when I see it, and after many years and even more blown engines, I still have yet to see it.
Old 04-07-2019, 05:10 PM
Andysherman
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Yeah, it sounds more "chirpy" to my ears, a pulley or belt may be the culprit, water pump, idler pulley, etc... so nothing really major. Please let us know what you find.
Old 04-07-2019, 05:12 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,763 Likes on 1,127 Posts

Just recalled where I heard a similar sound and it was the serp belt on my Caddy. It had reached end-of-life and it was a relatively cheap fix.
Old 04-07-2019, 05:15 PM
Garry in AZ
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

Lifter or a loose spark plug. Check and make sure all the plugs are tightened properly. If they are, then I'd be looking at lifters. Sounds like a loose plug to me. I had a 78 Trans Am that a plug came loose in... sounded just like that.
Old 04-07-2019, 05:17 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 775 Likes on 504 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Then I'll believe when I see it, and after many years and even more blown engines, I still have yet to see it.
Exactly what codes do you think you'll see??? Unfortunately there simply isn't a P0xxx code (as an example) that equates to a blown engine.

With a catastrophic failure (like throwing a rod through the side of the block) the motor simply stops spinning. With something less harsh (like a spun main or rod bearing) it'll get noisy and the oil pressure would just start dropping as the motor got hotter. Even if you kept on running it with a bad bearing and it completely seized, you simply wouldn't be able to turn it over anymore.

I had three engines let go on me over the last 18 months with spun bearings because of oiling issues (turns out drag racing doesn't play nice with an LS7 converted to wet sump) and there were no codes thrown. I've even dropped a valve twice while doing 130MPH at the track and had a rod come through the side of the block in both cases and once again, there were no codes.
Vet Interested (05-15-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Did My Motor Blow? Hope Not! Video and Sound.

Old 04-07-2019, 05:24 PM
d.medic
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

My last Vette still dynoed in the 500 plus rwhp range with a chunk missing in number 7 piston. No codes.
Old 04-07-2019, 06:20 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by Oh Boy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xoud0W4mMs
Try everything that's been suggested, in order of difficulty:

Confirm the plugs are tight and check for exhaust leaks. Pull the belts to rule out the accessories. Remove the valve covers and inspect.

Hopefully it's one of those. A loose rocker arm if you're lucky.

Now I'll tell you what it sounds like to me: a bad valve lifter roller that's grinding a groove into one of your cam lobes.
Old 04-07-2019, 06:44 PM
Oh Boy
Melting Slicks

Received 522 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by rkj427

Oil pressure is normal, I don't think I revved it out of fear.

Originally Posted by TCW
Sounds like your harmonic balancer is rubbing the steering rack.

Tom
The HB is running dead straight.

Originally Posted by Bruze
Yes, that's the crucial thing to know. Sounds like a belt chirp or something related to that.

Just off the cuff, the odds of this being a "blown" motor are somewhere between Slim and none, and I saw Slim headin' outta town at high noon.

To me, a "blown" motor is one that doesn't run because it broke a rod, dropped a valve, etc.

The OP mentioned clutch (?) but if it was, the sound would likely change when you push the pedal in.
I sure as hell hope it is. No I said the clutch on the compressor.

Originally Posted by Chevyrelic
Have you tried using one of the cheap HF engine stethoscopes to pinpoint where the noise originates?
No not yet.

Originally Posted by Andysherman
Yeah, it sounds more "chirpy" to my ears, a pulley or belt may be the culprit, water pump, idler pulley, etc... so nothing really major. Please let us know what you find.
I will definitely post back, you guys are always kind enough to respond and I would never start a thread with out posting the results.

Originally Posted by Garry in AZ
Lifter or a loose spark plug. Check and make sure all the plugs are tightened properly. If they are, then I'd be looking at lifters. Sounds like a loose plug to me. I had a 78 Trans Am that a plug came loose in... sounded just like that.
I will definitely check.
Steel City (04-16-2019)

Quick Reply: Did My Motor Blow? Hope Not! Video and Sound.