C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

where is the underhood light?

 
Old 04-10-2019, 03:03 PM
  #1  
captain vette
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Dec 2015
Location: Montréal
Posts: 435
Liked 71 Times in 67 Posts
Default where is the underhood light?

like the title say when the hood is open i cannot find any lights. 2011 GS vert.
captain vette is offline  
Old 04-10-2019, 03:09 PM
  #2  
919cw313
CF Senior Member
 
919cw313's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2016
Location: PNW
Posts: 3,400
Liked 325 Times in 284 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
Default

There isn't one.
919cw313 is online now  
Old 04-10-2019, 03:18 PM
  #3  
captain vette
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Dec 2015
Location: Montréal
Posts: 435
Liked 71 Times in 67 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 919cw313 View Post
There isn't one.
this is not what my owners manual say.
captain vette is offline  
Old 04-10-2019, 03:31 PM
  #4  
919cw313
CF Senior Member
 
919cw313's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2016
Location: PNW
Posts: 3,400
Liked 325 Times in 284 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
Default

AFAIK the factory installed light was discontinued after 2006 MY. I don't think they ever got rid of the connector though. Some have installed them on later years, usually along with the crossed flags hood liner. That said, the light is mostly useless and you're better off with a flashlight.
919cw313 is online now  
The following users liked this post: 919cw313
captain vette (04-10-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 03:33 PM
  #5  
HBsurfer
CF Senior Member
 
HBsurfer's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2014
Location: Chino CA
Posts: 3,240
Liked 443 Times in 346 Posts
Default

Not sure when they stopped putting them in but my 2007 does not have an under hood light
HBsurfer is offline  
Old 04-10-2019, 03:34 PM
  #6  
jrose7004
CF Senior Member
 
jrose7004's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2004
Location: Oklahoma City OK
Posts: 56,250
Liked 810 Times in 716 Posts
Default

My 07 Narrow bodied car didn't have one and neither does my 10 Grand Sport.
jrose7004 is offline  
Old 04-10-2019, 03:35 PM
  #7  
my1970conv
CF Senior Member
 
my1970conv's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2001
Location: Lachute QC
Posts: 217
Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by captain vette View Post
this is not what my owners manual say.
What page in your owner's manual does it say there's an underhood light? I'm looking at a 2011 owner's manual, and I don't see it.
my1970conv is offline  
Old 04-10-2019, 03:52 PM
  #8  
captain vette
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Dec 2015
Location: Montréal
Posts: 435
Liked 71 Times in 67 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by my1970conv View Post
What page in your owner's manual does it say there's an underhood light? I'm looking at a 2011 owner's manual, and I don't see it.
6-9 if you have a french version of the o-m.
captain vette is offline  
Old 04-10-2019, 04:56 PM
  #9  
my1970conv
CF Senior Member
 
my1970conv's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2001
Location: Lachute QC
Posts: 217
Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by captain vette View Post
6-9 if you have a french version of the o-m.
Hi captain vette... so I can see page 6-9 in french, and yes it says 'Le véhicule est doté d'une fonction empêchant la décharge de la batterie au cas où les lampes suivantes sont laissées allumées : la lampe du compartiment moteur,le cas échéant, les lampes depare-soleil, les lampes de l'espaceutilitaire, les lampes de console, leslampes de lecture ou les lampes deboîte à gants.'...

So I think the confusion is simply the words "le cas échéant", which means "if your vehicle has this feature"...

Here's the same phrase in english... "This vehicle has a feature to help prevent the battery from being drained in case any of the following lamps are left on: the underhoodlamp, if your vehicle has this feature, vanity mirror lamps, cargol amps, reading lamps, console,or glove box lamps.

Simply put, C6 Corvettes after 2006 (I believe) no longer has this feature.
my1970conv is offline  
Old 04-10-2019, 05:00 PM
  #10  
jashmore1234
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,887
Liked 35 Times in 29 Posts
Default

If you buy the correct hood liner you can add it back. The connector is still there.
jashmore1234 is offline  
Old 04-10-2019, 05:06 PM
  #11  
irok
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: May 2011
Location: Oshawa, Ontario
Posts: 2,861
Likes: 0
Liked 229 Times in 213 Posts
Default

I find the factory installed under hood light in my car is a pretty handy option to have
irok is offline  
Old 04-10-2019, 05:07 PM
  #12  
Oh Boy
CF Senior Member
 
Oh Boy's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2017
Location: New York
Posts: 1,088
Liked 167 Times in 142 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 919cw313 View Post
AFAIK the factory installed light was discontinued after 2006 MY. I don't think they ever got rid of the connector though. Some have installed them on later years, usually along with the crossed flags hood liner. That said, the light is mostly useless and you're better off with a flashlight.
Nope it's still there. My 2013, right side of radiator.


Oh Boy is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by Oh Boy:
jimijam (04-14-2019), thetastelingers (04-10-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 05:33 PM
  #13  
bobeyoung
CF Member
 
bobeyoung's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2015
Location: Downingtown Pa.
Posts: 78
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
Default

My 2007 has the light.
bobeyoung is online now  
Old 04-10-2019, 05:43 PM
  #14  
GUM3Y
Junior Member
 
GUM3Y's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2019
Location: Myrtle Beach, SC
Posts: 34
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

My 08 does not have the light but the connector is there. My buddy’s 07 has the light.
GUM3Y is offline  
Old 04-10-2019, 06:03 PM
  #15  
07MontyRed
CF Senior Member
 
07MontyRed's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2004
Location: Cape Canaveral Florida
Posts: 1,194
Liked 81 Times in 60 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13,'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19

Default

They deleted the light (but not the connector) about a third of the way through the 2007 model year.
07MontyRed is offline  
Old 04-10-2019, 06:07 PM
  #16  
Vette_DD
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Vette_DD's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2004
Posts: 71,912
Liked 570 Times in 446 Posts
Default

Light was deleted because it was causing many new Vettes to be delivered to the dealership with dead batteries.
Vette_DD is offline  
Old 04-10-2019, 06:45 PM
  #17  
captain vette
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Dec 2015
Location: Montréal
Posts: 435
Liked 71 Times in 67 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by my1970conv View Post
Hi captain vette... so I can see page 6-9 in french, and yes it says 'Le véhicule est doté d'une fonction empêchant la décharge de la batterie au cas où les lampes suivantes sont laissées allumées : la lampe du compartiment moteur,le cas échéant, les lampes depare-soleil, les lampes de l'espaceutilitaire, les lampes de console, leslampes de lecture ou les lampes deboîte à gants.'...

So I think the confusion is simply the words "le cas échéant", which means "if your vehicle has this feature"...

Here's the same phrase in english... "This vehicle has a feature to help prevent the battery from being drained in case any of the following lamps are left on: the underhoodlamp, if your vehicle has this feature, vanity mirror lamps, cargol amps, reading lamps, console,or glove box lamps.

Simply put, C6 Corvettes after 2006 (I believe) no longer has this feature.
thank you my1970conv you are absolutely right I have not seen that nuance in the manual. Now I’ll stop searching for that elusive light
captain vette is offline  
Old 04-10-2019, 06:55 PM
  #18  
enventr
CF Senior Member
 
enventr's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2006
Location: Port St. Lucie West Florida
Posts: 3,598
Liked 272 Times in 257 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by bobeyoung View Post
My 2007 has the light.

my 07 does not have a light.
enventr is offline  
Old 04-10-2019, 06:59 PM
  #19  
Bob Paris
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Bob Paris's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2013
Location: Granada Hills CA
Posts: 913
Liked 161 Times in 98 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Vette_DD View Post
Light was deleted because it was causing many new Vettes to be delivered to the dealership with dead batteries.
That is true. In case anyone is wondering how that could happen, the underhood light uses a mercury switch to turn on the light. The switch is activated when the hood is raised and the mercury drifts down to close the circuit and turn on the light. GM found that during transport, some cars would be riding at a severe angle, similar to having the hood open, and the light would come on and cause an unintended battery drain.
Bob Paris is offline  
Old 04-10-2019, 07:00 PM
  #20  
madsonp
CF Senior Member
 
madsonp's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2017
Location: Billings Montana
Posts: 688
Liked 129 Times in 91 Posts
Default

My 05 has it, and no you can't have it.
madsonp is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: