C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone installing HUD for C6?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 09:23 AM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by cgladish
how often has your temp been a problem? or oil pressure? oil temp?
again, I'm not knocking the purpose of a HUD, but its use is not necessary for daily driving.
along those lines, how often do you actually use the tach ( or any gauge for that matter )?
I can't imagine that you'd be constantly viewing these. occasionally while driving yes. but if you feel the need
to keep on top of things that much, you may have bigger issues to worry about.
if your car is running normal, what concerns do you have?
and again, if you enjoy using the HUD, that's great. all I'm saying is, that it isn't really necessary ( when combined with standard gauge).
I generally keep an eye on all of the temperatures and pressures. Just how I was taught. In the course of a 20 minute trip, I probably check coolant and transmission fluid temperatures twice during that time and the oil temperature once. If I'm in stop and go, I check a little more often. On trips several hours long, I like to keep an eye on them so I can see how the car is running in relation to outside temperatures. I've put 150k miles on my 07 A6 and can tell you without a doubt, for the first 115k miles or so, the average highway coolant temperature was 203 and the average transmission fluid temperature was 176. With the mileage I now have on the transmission, the average transmission temperature has climbed into the 180s. Coolant was increasing until the water pump (which had a small leak) and the radiator (which had a small crack) were replaced. Now those are back to "normal."
Old 04-15-2019, 10:21 AM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 446 Likes on 336 Posts

it's not that I don't care for it, but as I mentioned previously, I need someone to convince of its value ( when compared to the stock gauges ).
I do think that idea of it great, but from a personal perspective, I just don't use it much.
I do not like redundancy, so to basically two sets of gauges, seems over kill.
regardless of my position on this, hopefully my ability to voice my opinion is no less important, than the people on the pro-side.
maybe if I hear or see enough people talking about its value, 'llI change my stance.
i'll put this in the same category as the debate of auto vs. manual trans ( though not as hotly debated ).
just an opinion that's all.

Quick Reply: Anyone installing HUD for C6?