C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is The Great American Sports Car Dead?

Old 04-13-2019, 06:18 AM
Don-Vette
CF Senior Member

Recieved 288 Likes on 241 Posts

The Corvette will always be the greatest American sports car on the planet!!!

UNTIL they put anything other than a V8 engine in it!!!
The following users liked this post:
cadyshac (04-13-2019)
Old 04-13-2019, 06:37 AM
BADBIRDCAGE
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Recieved 202 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Don-Vette View Post
The Corvette will always be the greatest American sports car on the planet!!!

UNTIL they put anything other than a V8 engine in it!!!
Why would that annoy you? The Corvette started life with an inline six as its powerplant coupled to a slushbox. And here we are.
Old 04-13-2019, 06:50 AM
Don-Vette
CF Senior Member

Recieved 288 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by BADBIRDCAGE View Post
Why would that annoy you? The Corvette started life with an inline six as its powerplant coupled to a slushbox. And here we are.
Seriously? The racing heratage was built on the V8!!
Old 04-13-2019, 07:26 AM
BADBIRDCAGE
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Recieved 202 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Don-Vette View Post
Seriously? The racing heratage was built on the V8!!
Things in life change.
Old 04-13-2019, 07:31 AM
cadyshac
CF Senior Member

Recieved 102 Likes on 88 Posts

I didn't read thru all these replies so this may have already been said but..... If auto makers don't keep up with what millennials and others want then they are going out of business, just ask Sears. My kids are in their 20's, they shop online as much as they go to the store and so do all their friends. That doesn't mean they do not want a manual transmission but for the most part they don't want them. A few years ago I was asked to participate in a focus group and I was paid for my time. The whole thing revolved around autonomous vehicles and integrating the technology into vehicles in a way that would be accepted by the general public. Like it or not it's coming and some of it is already in today's cars. Lane change assist/warning, front, rear and side monitoring, auto emergency braking, etc. All of these were things I saw a few years ago that are now on vehicles of today. I will likely never have a 'vette without a manual but I am a dinosaur on the doorstep of being a fossil. Manufacturers are more concerned with what my kids want.
Old 04-13-2019, 07:39 AM
cadyshac
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by BADBIRDCAGE View Post
Yes but that didn't last long. I've driven the new v6's with more power than the 60's muscle cars but they are still v6's to me and no thank you I don't want one.
Old 04-13-2019, 07:54 AM
BadAV
CF Senior Member

Recieved 212 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by cadyshac View Post
Yes but that didn't last long. I've driven the new v6's with more power than the 60's muscle cars but they are still v6's to me and no thank you I don't want one.
My F-150 has the 3.5 ecoboost engine. You would think it was a V8 if you didn't know it was a V6. Put a noisy exhaust on it and it's a different story, but why would you do that when you know what the results will be? 17 mpg in town with a full size, crew cab 4X4 truck with 33" tires and it simply smokes the 5.0 V8 when towing. Like it or not, the V8's days are numbered. I see very little practical downside, other than the increased complexity added by the turbos.
Old 04-13-2019, 09:11 AM
cadyshac
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by BadAV View Post
My F-150 has the 3.5 ecoboost engine. You would think it was a V8 if you didn't know it was a V6. Put a noisy exhaust on it and it's a different story, but why would you do that when you know what the results will be? 17 mpg in town with a full size, crew cab 4X4 truck with 33" tires and it simply smokes the 5.0 V8 when towing. Like it or not, the V8's days are numbered. I see very little practical downside, other than the increased complexity added by the turbos.
Let me clarify, I'm not knocking the engine I just wouldn't want one in a vette or similar type vehicle
Old 04-13-2019, 09:19 AM
R&L's C6
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Recieved 433 Likes on 281 Posts

One thing is for sure, the Corvette as we know it is dead.

The only thing that will be carried over and resemble one is the name.
marinablu67 (04-13-2019)
Old 04-13-2019, 09:46 AM
BWF07
CF Senior Member

Recieved 126 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by marinablu67 View Post
Using logic, I don't see how this car could be with the engine right behind the cabin, but I'm no car designer!
What I do see most likely happening is a Targa top will be offered as an option, but not a full fold down top.
All you need to do is look at Ferrari. they make the 488 in the spider model. So it is possible.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:07 AM
Kenny94945
CF Senior Member

Recieved 193 Likes on 175 Posts

No not dead.

Ferrari auto transmissions are fine and fun.
One can always buy vintage Vettes ( C1 - C7) for a manual transmission.

But, death may be coming...autonomous vehicles, speed control, robot chauffeurs.
We may be forced to a race track for actually driving...future hobby IMO.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:13 AM
captain vette
CF Senior Member

Recieved 79 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6 View Post
One thing is for sure, the Corvette as we know it is dead.

The only thing that will be carried over and resemble one is the name.
exactly
Old 04-13-2019, 10:16 AM
FAUEE
CF Senior Member

Recieved 468 Likes on 394 Posts

The reason you cant tell it's a v6 is because Ford legit plays v8 noise inside the cabin to fool you. The 5.0L also is the BETTER tow engine, both have plenty of power but the 5.0 get WAY better fuel economy when towing. My 15 f150 har everything, including the 3.55 rear end and 5.0 and did 17 in town too. The fuel economy f150 does now isnt engine based, its gearing and weight. I could get 25 to 26 mph if I went like 65 on the highway, but unfortunately after that aerodynamics took over. Still did 21 at 70-75 though.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:26 AM
saplumr
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Recieved 188 Likes on 154 Posts

We're drifting into an area that I deal with when it comes to trucks. Light duty trucks have there place but it's not towing a giant parachute. That's a diesel's job. My 18 Denali can get 26 on flat land (not towing of course) so that can rival any light truck.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:53 AM
FAUEE
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Oic0 View Post
If the C8 is being made by someone other than GM or using a non GM produced motor or chassis, that's a rumor I haven't heard.

I challenge you to find one part on the Supra that's made in Japan by Toyota. The badges don't count. The thing even has BMWs infotainment in it and an interior made of BMW parts bin bits lol. I have nothing against it. I'm sure it's an OK car, I just think it's pathetic and disingenuous for Toyota to sell a BMW as their iconic / halo car.
See the difference here is you care more about the name slapped on it than the content itself. For me, the name means nothing, it's the content that matters.

Supra will be built by Magna Steyr in Austria. So what? Most consumer goods are not made by the brand slapped on the front. Your phone was likely made by Foxconn, does that make it any less of whatever brand it is?

I get the disappointment, its be awesome if it was 100% in Japan with only Toyota plants and such. But the ROI on sports cars ain't what it used to be. Investors dont want to hear you're spending billions on a sports car, they're convinced electrics and autonomous vehicles are all that matters in their tiny finance brains. That's why they buy stock in uber or Lyft that flat out say they wont ever turn a profit.

At the end of the day, the new Supra is still an inline 6 with turbocharging. Toyota heavily revised the engine because they had strict reliability requirements that BMW wasnt meeting at first. The new supra is still front engine, RWD, with kind of quirky styling. It's still sticking to the formula that made it work. That counts to me more than the name badge slapped on it. The Supra has the soul and feel it should, and while it won't launch with a Toyota engine, but rumors are it's coming after launch.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:57 AM
FAUEE
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by saplumr View Post
We're drifting into an area that I deal with when it comes to trucks. Light duty trucks have there place but it's not towing a giant parachute. That's a diesel's job. My 18 Denali can get 26 on flat land (not towing of course) so that can rival any light truck.
Impressive. My buddy has a 2500 duramax ltz and he gets 18-19 highway.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:59 AM
Gixxerman
CF Senior Member

Recieved 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Wait till government forces you to be in self driven monitored speed cars.. then Corvette will be like the Red Barchetta in the Rush song lol
BlueDevlZ06 (04-14-2019)
Old 04-13-2019, 11:35 AM
BadAV
CF Senior Member

Recieved 212 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE View Post
The reason you cant tell it's a v6 is because Ford legit plays v8 noise inside the cabin to fool you. The 5.0L also is the BETTER tow engine, both have plenty of power but the 5.0 get WAY better fuel economy when towing. My 15 f150 har everything, including the 3.55 rear end and 5.0 and did 17 in town too. The fuel economy f150 does now isnt engine based, its gearing and weight. I could get 25 to 26 mph if I went like 65 on the highway, but unfortunately after that aerodynamics took over. Still did 21 at 70-75 though.
You really should only discuss things you know about. Lariats DO NOT have piped-in sound, and 3.5 ecoboost is the only towing choice if towing 5k or more. You will be revving the crap out of the 5.0 while the eco is just loafing along.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:45 AM
FAUEE
CF Senior Member

You really should only discuss things you know about. Lariats DO NOT have piped-in sound, and 3.5 ecoboost is the only towing choice if towing 5k or more. You will be revving the crap out of the 5.0 while the eco is just loafing along.
Did the sales guy tell you that, because its flat out wrong.

ALL 3.5 ecoboost pipe in sounds. The old trick was to rev the engine with the door open, i domt know if thats been disabled but it worked on the platinums i was looking at. I dont know about the base 2.7, i didnt look at those as i asnt interested in the base engine, and i dont think it was offered om top tri,s at the time.

My 5.0 was rated for like 9600 poumds towing or somethimg absurd. It pulled the few trailers i needed to tow like a freight train. Pulling a trailer highway rpms were still like 2200, granted i didnt have to tow up ghe ike gaunglet at 7r, but up small hills it never skipped a beat. Heck the little 5.3 in my colorado doesng spin more than 2300ish when gowing in similar highway and moderately heavy load situations.

Reality is, ALL these trucks have plenty of power to tow now. People were towing trailers this weight with 250 tq, we are spoiled to be in a wprld with 1000 tq trucks now.

Last edited by FAUEE; 04-13-2019 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04-13-2019, 03:03 PM
marinablu67
CF Senior Member

Recieved 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete Schweaty View Post
Lots of mid engine cars have true convertible tops.

This is a true convertible!

What you're showing me, is what I consider to be more of a Targa style retractable hardtop. It's just a little to busy behind your head. It takes away from the open air feel!

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: