C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is The Great American Sports Car Dead?

Old 04-15-2019, 09:15 AM
Cardinal Flyer
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dpigguy View Post
Interesting range of discussion on Toyotas, exotics, and pick up trucks. As for the great American sports car, biggest concern I have is the reported $162,000 base car price tag. If my dealer handles it like they have past introductions (Z06, GS, Zr-1), they will add another $25,000 for “premium” edition. Not sure a sufficient number of buyers exist at the price to keep Bowling Green up and running. Whether the C-8 is an auto or manual, hard top or convertible, or supercharged or not may not enter in to the death of America’s sports car. JMHO
Excellent point!
Old 04-15-2019, 09:49 AM
ssg10587
CF Member

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE View Post
As a millenial myself, i feel like most newer cars are a step back subjectively. Obje tively, thryre faster, more features, more modern interiors and designs.... but they're not as good as cars in the 90s and 00s were. They lack the feedback, they are too focused on the bling aspects and bragging numbers, try to be too accessible and tame, and are too expensive.

For me, these new cars are too much of a piece of jewelry. I like a sports car with feedback and character more than one with high stats when driven by a pro.
Agreed. The newer tech is great but way too much other technology and nannies that make it feel difficult to try and drive the car as itself. It seems like newer sportscars somewhat try to cater to the masses with QOL additions while not entirely focusing the driving experience.

One of the big reasons I like my older C6. Everything is an easy button. Doesn't look fancy but is also easy to understand and change settings.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:26 AM
marinablu67
CF Senior Member

Liked 73 Times in 62 Posts

Originally Posted by ssg10587 View Post
Agreed. The newer tech is great but way too much other technology and nannies that make it feel difficult to try and drive the car as itself. It seems like newer sportscars somewhat try to cater to the masses with QOL additions while not entirely focusing the driving experience.

One of the big reasons I like my older C6. Everything is an easy button. Doesn't look fancy but is also easy to understand and change settings.
Many States are now banning cell phone use while driving, and for good reason! The next step is banning the new generation of cars that require all major functions to be controlled via menu driven touch screens. It only takes a fraction of a second taking your eyes off the road to have an accident! Well placed analog controls(*****, buttons, etc.) are all that's needed to operate most functions, and without taking your eyes off the road! I also wish they'd bring back the good old vent windows too!
The following users liked this post: marinablu67
ssg10587 (04-15-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 10:32 AM
ssg10587
CF Member

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Originally Posted by marinablu67 View Post
Many States are now banning cell phone use while driving, and for good reason! The next step is banning the new generation of cars that require all major functions to be controlled via menu driven touch screens. It only takes a fraction of a second taking your eyes off the road to have an accident! Well placed analog controls(*****, buttons, etc.) are all that's needed to operate most functions, and without taking your eyes off the road! I also wish they'd bring back the good old vent windows too!
lol it cracks me up too because auto manufacturers give people all this tech to distract them then shove a bunch more nannies at them and wonder why accidents are up.
The following users liked this post: ssg10587
marinablu67 (04-15-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 12:08 PM
saplumr
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 182 Times in 148 Posts

Originally Posted by ssg10587 View Post
lol it cracks me up too because auto manufacturers give people all this tech to distract them then shove a bunch more nannies at them and wonder why accidents are up.
Technology has absolutely nothing to do with accidents. Those are the result of distracted drivers which could be a multitude of factors. Nav units are disabled when trying to access them while driving and bluetooth is one of the best options ever.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:22 PM
Oic0

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gixxerman View Post
I know quite a few millennials, the strange thing to me is they don't value things like a Corvette the same way or if at all. They think it's cool. They prefer Uber and if they have to have a car it's something cheap...they just don't see the value or logic of owning a high priced vehicle.. Alien to my generation lol
It's because we're poor :P . The generation before us convinced us we all had to go to college or our lives were ruined. That made the college degree equivalent to the highschool diploma of old at the same time as putting tons of young people in massive debt. Meanwhile jobs are being shipped over seas, wages haven't kept up with cost of living, and trickle down economics tricked everyone into happily shifting all of the money upwards "for their own benefit".

Last edited by Oic0; 04-15-2019 at 12:23 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:07 PM
FAUEE
CF Senior Member

Liked 463 Times in 391 Posts

Originally Posted by Oic0 View Post
It's because we're poor :P . The generation before us convinced us we all had to go to college or our lives were ruined. That made the college degree equivalent to the highschool diploma of old at the same time as putting tons of young people in massive debt. Meanwhile jobs are being shipped over seas, wages haven't kept up with cost of living, and trickle down economics tricked everyone into happily shifting all of the money upwards "for their own benefit".
I think this is a big part. I think that it would have been fine if it hadn't been a combination of them all. College for everyone would be fine, if it wasnt crazy expensive and all the jobs werent sent overseas and the jobs that were left paid better.

But the reality is, greed from the finance industry has pushed a lot the good jobs out of the country. Meanwhile the elites keep telling us that we need to bring in people from overseas to get free schooling and to take jobs here.

Baby boomers really screwed us over. Thanks guys.
Old 04-18-2019, 01:51 PM
SlothX311
CF Senior Member

Liked 54 Times in 45 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6 View Post
Except the vast majority of Corvettes will never see any sort of track time. For the most part, C6's have more performance than most owners ever realize.

It's all about bragging rights while sitting in the garage and waxing them.
While I do agree with you on the notion that there are FAR too many vettes out there that get underutilized, I am seeing more and more C5Zs and C6s at the track.

Originally Posted by FAUEE View Post
It's not the same. And honestly, a dual clutch is better for bragging than anything. A modern slushbox shifts fast enough, and is a lot smoother and less expensive to operate. The PDK in the 911 worked well on track, but it was "acceptable" on the road. VW's DSG, very similar. Evo with the SST... not so good at anything, lol. With as good as the ZF 8 auto is, DCTs really are for bragging rights.
I can attest to the VW DSG. I had a mk6 (2011) GTI with the dual clutch auto and that thing was a beast on the track. The shifts are nearly instantaneous. However, in traffic, or from a stop its a completely different story. No pedal to modulate clutch grab and no torque converter to soak up the drivetrain slack means you're a bobble head in traffic.

I don't see it as bragging though, I see it as F1 tech that has trickled down. MOST people don't take their cars on racetracks, but obviously these cars shift quicker than a manual and definitely quicker than your dads auto. The challenge is, in the endless pursuit of constant improvement, they're now taking the joy of shifting out of the car. I get why they had to do it, can't say I agree or will be a customer. There are plenty of manual cars out there still.

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: