C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Charger on a LS-7

Old 04-13-2019, 10:21 PM
449er
CF Senior Member

Liked 293 Times in 249 Posts
Default Battery Charger on a LS-7

Can you charge/maintain a battery through the cigarette lighter on a dry sump trunk mounted battery? Thanks
Old 04-13-2019, 10:30 PM
Patsgarage
CF Senior Member

Liked 357 Times in 307 Posts

Originally Posted by 449er View Post
Can you charge/maintain a battery through the cigarette lighter on a dry sump trunk mounted battery? Thanks
You could probably maintain the charge that way, but not recharge a flat battery. I just pop the hatch and run the cord out the back.
Old 04-14-2019, 04:04 PM
Mike Green9
CF Senior Member

Liked 18 Times in 18 Posts

Cigar lighter works great for a battery tender, but as stated above, NOT to CHARGE a battery. A tender will put out .7 to 3 amps which is safe for a car's electrical wiring.

Battery chargers should be connected directly to the battery, with the battery cables disconnected so as not to damage the BCM. (Disconnect the negative terminal first.)

Whenever I use a battery tender, I always use the lowest setting. That is easiest on the battery. It takes longer, so I plan ahead.

M...
Old 04-14-2019, 04:09 PM
windyC6
CF Senior Member

Liked 393 Times in 339 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Green9 View Post
Cigar lighter works great for a battery tender, but as stated above, NOT to CHARGE a battery. A tender will put out .7 to 3 amps which is safe for a car's electrical wiring.

Battery chargers should be connected directly to the battery, with the battery cables disconnected so as not to damage the BCM. (Disconnect the negative terminal first.)

Whenever I use a battery tender, I always use the lowest setting. That is easiest on the battery. It takes longer, so I plan ahead.

M...
Interesting. Every since we went to the BCM autos so many years ago I must have put a charger on at least 30 different vehicles without ever disconnecting the batt and never had an issue with blowing one out.
Old 04-14-2019, 04:17 PM
RobLo
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 90 Times in 71 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6 View Post
Interesting. Every since we went to the BCM autos so many years ago I must have put a charger on at least 30 different vehicles without ever disconnecting the batt and never had an issue with blowing one out.
Years of charging the Vette and Harleys using a BT and never disconnected the battery, just plug it in when I get home and unplug it when I go out...
Old 04-14-2019, 05:05 PM
Mike Green9
CF Senior Member

Liked 18 Times in 18 Posts

Re disconnecting battery while using a battery charger in a modern day car - I stand corrected.
Guess I was just being overly cautious.
M...

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: