C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM water hose clamps keep them or go with after market clamps?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 10:45 AM
boonie c4
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Default OEM water hose clamps keep them or go with after market clamps?

I'm in the process of replacing my lower radiator support along with installing a new " ECP" all aluminum radiator in my 2012 G.S. Corvette and I wanted to know if you also replaced the OEM water hose clamps with the after market screw on type water hose clamps?
I like the fact that the OEM clamps create even pressure on the hose but their very difficult to remove and install, but the screw on hoses are much easier to remove and install, what do you say?
thanks boonie.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:03 PM
Barndog Buddha
Instructor

Location: Gurnee IL. so close to Wisc. I can smell it when they cut the cheese
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Well I've had issues with the screw type clamps in the past. Now I only use new oem clamps no more problems.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:24 PM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

Had all the hoses and the water pump replaced awhile back by a well-respected local Vette mechanic, he re-used the OEM clamps. Said there was nothing wrong with them (he was right, no leaks) and they clamp better than the screw-on type. YMMV...
Old 04-14-2019, 06:27 PM
Dutch08
Drifting

Received 387 Likes on 321 Posts

My 2-Cents ... cheap OE clamps are the best because they stay tight and seal all the way around, with the OE type clamp tool I think they are faster to remove and install (which are the reasons they are used by manufactures.)

These guys have an excellent write up of the problems with various hose clamps. Their clamps are the best, of course, but the write up is interesting.

Gates Power Grip SB Clamp
Old 04-15-2019, 06:16 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 654 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by boonie c4
I'm in the process of replacing my lower radiator support along with installing a new " ECP" all aluminum radiator in my 2012 G.S. Corvette and I wanted to know if you also replaced the OEM water hose clamps with the after market screw on type water hose clamps?
I like the fact that the OEM clamps create even pressure on the hose but their very difficult to remove and install, but the screw on hoses are much easier to remove and install, what do you say?
thanks boonie.
Keep the good OEM clamps and get some hose clamp pliers.

Old 04-15-2019, 06:34 AM
boonie c4
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

what's the name of this tool + where can it be purchased?
Old 04-15-2019, 06:56 AM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

Received 1,314 Likes on 886 Posts

what's the name of this tool + where can it be purchased?
Hose clamp pliers. Can be purchased at Autozone, Orielly's, Amazon, etc.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:04 AM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

Received 1,314 Likes on 886 Posts

thanks boonie.
The screw type clamps are okay as a temporary solution to a leaking hose. But they can cut into the hoses.

The OEM constant tension clamps are better. Typically, it you have a leak using the OEM clamps, it usually means your hoses are worn out and should be replaced.

The thing to realize about the OEM clamps is that sizing is essential so that they don't leak. I replaced my radiator in my 2011 GS with a DeWitts and I had a leak on the small hose on the passenger side at the top because the DeWitts nipple was slightly smaller than the factory connections. So the hose was slightly oversized and with the OEM clamp, I had a leak. I probably just need to replace the hose.

An alternative constant tension clamp are the type used on a lot of European vehicles. It is a one-use, pinch clamp but they hold great and have an OEM look. Tight-Seal Vibration-Resistant Pinch Clamps for Firm Hose and Tube
Old 04-15-2019, 11:37 AM
boonie c4
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Spaceme1117
The screw type clamps are okay as a temporary solution to a leaking hose. But they can cut into the hoses.

The OEM constant tension clamps are better. Typically, it you have a leak using the OEM clamps, it usually means your hoses are worn out and should be replaced.

The thing to realize about the OEM clamps is that sizing is essential so that they don't leak. I replaced my radiator in my 2011 GS with a DeWitts and I had a leak on the small hose on the passenger side at the top because the DeWitts nipple was slightly smaller than the factory connections. So the hose was slightly oversized and with the OEM clamp, I had a leak. I probably just need to replace the hose.

An alternative constant tension clamp are the type used on a lot of European vehicles. It is a one-use, pinch clamp but they hold great and have an OEM look. Tight-Seal Vibration-Resistant Pinch Clamps for Firm Hose and Tube
thanks I just purchased a set of hose clamp pliers off ebay, before the pic was posted I never knew that such a tool existed.
thanks for the info boonie

Get notified of new replies

To OEM water hose clamps keep them or go with after market clamps?

Quick Reply: OEM water hose clamps keep them or go with after market clamps?