C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery woes!

Old 04-14-2019, 12:44 PM
rwsinky
CF Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Battery woes!

I have a 2012 GS that I put a new AC Delco battery in the summer beofre last (2017). Thought I would keep it all GM. Went out to garage yesterday and nothing! I do keep a battery tender on it but it had not been connected for a couple days. Put my charger on it and within about 5 minutes the green light for complete charge came on and she started right up. This was on normal charge and not a hot shot. Pulled it out of garage to do some other stuff and an hour or so later when I went to put it away it was DOA again! I have cleaned all connections and it is on the charger again but I do not think it is taking the charge as the "Complete Charge" light is blinking, Are these batteries that bad? The original one lasted 5 years. I will return this one tomorrow. Suggestions for another brand?
Thanks,
Russ
Old 04-14-2019, 12:50 PM
2redvettez
CF Senior Member

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Aggravation for sure...
INTERSTATE BATTERIES .. never have let me down...
Old 04-14-2019, 01:15 PM
farmington
CF Senior Member

Liked 131 Times in 107 Posts

Still have my original 7 year old Delco going strong.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:46 PM
captain vette
CF Senior Member

Liked 72 Times in 68 Posts

yes Interstate, if you are a Kyle Bush fan like me.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:50 PM
KB9GKC
CF Senior Member

Liked 34 Times in 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 2redvettez View Post
Aggravation for sure...
Old 04-14-2019, 01:54 PM
Jeff T.
CF Senior Member

Liked 565 Times in 497 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

My new Delco took a crap within 18 months of purchase. Chevy dealer swapped it for a new one no questions asked. I did have the receipt.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:55 PM
Bruze
CF Senior Member

Liked 776 Times in 637 Posts

Originally Posted by rwsinky View Post
I have a 2012 GS that I put a new AC Delco battery in the summer beofre last (2017). Thought I would keep it all GM. Went out to garage yesterday and nothing! I do keep a battery tender on it but it had not been connected for a couple days. Put my charger on it and within about 5 minutes the green light for complete charge came on and she started right up. This was on normal charge and not a hot shot. Pulled it out of garage to do some other stuff and an hour or so later when I went to put it away it was DOA again! I have cleaned all connections and it is on the charger again but I do not think it is taking the charge as the "Complete Charge" light is blinking, Are these batteries that bad? The original one lasted 5 years. I will return this one tomorrow. Suggestions for another brand?
Thanks,
Russ
I wouldn't switch brands thinking that was the problem (although ANY brand can have the occasional faulty item) -- there is likely something else going on. "Cleaned all connections," does that include the other ends of both battery cables?

If so then the next step, have the battery load-tested.
Old 04-14-2019, 02:58 PM
Welker1
CF Senior Member

Liked 427 Times in 387 Posts

Have had a Delco in mine for going on 5 years now, it's not the brand; as someone else has already said, there is something else going on here. First thing I would do is have battery load tested; the battery may have gone bad (can happen with any brand). If it's not bad. I'dchaeck all connections and start looking for a possible drain.
Old 04-14-2019, 03:34 PM
Mike Green9
CF Senior Member

Liked 18 Times in 18 Posts

My '08 has the original Delco battery in it - 11 years and still running strong. So I obviously like Delco batteries.

In my past experience in other vehicles, Delco batteries lasted at last 5 years of heavy use.

I do like Interstate batteries as well. Interstate Batteries, is a privately owned company that markets automotive batteries manufactured by Exide Technologies, Johnson Controls and others through independent distributors. I believe that Johnson Controls makes the Delco batteries.

Is your charging system working properly? With the engine running, you should be reading 14.2 volts across the battery terminals.

After 11 years I have decided to be safe. I have just purchased an ACDelco AGM replacement battery. I put an AGM battery in my GMC 1/2 ton, and I like it. I won't be buying and more lead/acid batteries.

M...
Old 04-14-2019, 04:04 PM
rwsinky
CF Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks for the replies! I hooked the battery up after it was on charge for about 4 hours so I could open the door and get the receipt from the glove box. Bought it in Sep of 17 so not even 2 years old. Will return it to dealer tomorrow and if they do not work with me then I will find another brand. BTW, it would still not turn the engine over.!
Thanks all,
Russ
Old 04-14-2019, 04:19 PM
windyC6
CF Senior Member

Liked 393 Times in 339 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruze View Post
I wouldn't switch brands thinking that was the problem (although ANY brand can have the occasional faulty item) -- there is likely something else going on. "Cleaned all connections," does that include the other ends of both battery cables?

If so then the next step, have the battery load-tested.
....And keep this in mind......The Interstate battery you buy today could have worn the AC Delco brand name before it was revamped at the Interstate factory....or vice-versa or even a lot of other battery brand names for that matter. (or at least a lot of the pieces).....LOL
Old 04-14-2019, 04:23 PM
John Harry
CF Senior Member

Liked 56 Times in 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by 2redvettez View Post
Aggravation for sure...
I had a 6 month old Interstate crap out in my wife's Camry. Just luck of the draw.
Old 04-14-2019, 04:51 PM
449er
CF Senior Member

Liked 293 Times in 249 Posts

Any brand of battery can crap out at any time, I don't think that Delco is any better/worse than a Interstate or vise versa....its like buying oil...what oil is the best debate
Old 04-15-2019, 11:25 AM
rwsinky
CF Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

OK, so I calleds dealer this morning and they had one in stock but he said they will have to test it and it might take 15 minutes. No problem so off I go with old battery and receipt. I get there and there is a different guy at counter and he says it could take up to 3 hours to test. He said he would call so I headed home. Got about halfway home and he calls and says it is bad and he has a new one for me. Took all of about 10 minutes to do that so I should have waited. Guarantee if I had waited it would have been 3 hours!!! Anyway, it is all good. New battery at no cost to me except time and it is in car and all is well. Thanks for the replies!!
The following users liked this post: rwsinky
Jeff T. (04-15-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 01:12 PM
Bob Paris
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 161 Times in 98 Posts

Originally Posted by John Harry View Post
I had a 6 month old Interstate crap out in my wife's Camry. Just luck of the draw.
luck of the DRAW [as in drawing power] - no pun intended

Last edited by Bob Paris; 04-15-2019 at 01:12 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:21 PM
Bruze
CF Senior Member

Liked 776 Times in 637 Posts

Originally Posted by rwsinky View Post
OK, so I calleds dealer this morning and they had one in stock but he said they will have to test it and it might take 15 minutes. No problem so off I go with old battery and receipt. I get there and there is a different guy at counter and he says it could take up to 3 hours to test. He said he would call so I headed home. Got about halfway home and he calls and says it is bad and he has a new one for me. Took all of about 10 minutes to do that so I should have waited. Guarantee if I had waited it would have been 3 hours!!! Anyway, it is all good. New battery at no cost to me except time and it is in car and all is well. Thanks for the replies!!

Load testing a battery takes about 2 minutes.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:46 PM
EVRose
CF Senior Member

Liked 680 Times in 552 Posts

Mine is approaching 5 years old and still going strong! And who is it made by, Walmart (Johnson Controls), Yeah Baby!

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: