C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has painted their Fuel Rails?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 11:24 AM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,950 Likes on 937 Posts
Default Who has painted their Fuel Rails?

Hey guys,

Who has painted their Fuel Rails - not had them done, but actually did a DIY paint job? If you have, can you please post what steps you took, the materials/paint you used and of course photos?

Thanks!
Old 04-15-2019, 03:43 PM
Legalice
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I used Rust Oleum Acrylic Enamel spray paint. I cleaned the fuel rails with soap and water, then a degreaser, then soap and water.

I then applied 4-5 coats of the yellow spray paint then two coats of clear on top. Turned out fine and people have told me it looks good when they see it in person. I used the same paint on the hood insulation inserts.

Doing it myself saved $250-$275 over buying pre-painted rails.

Paint has been on for about 9 months and has worn well. Look as good today as when I first installed.

Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
Mayor111 (04-15-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 03:49 PM
farmington
Safety Car

Received 1,119 Likes on 798 Posts

Did you sand them smooth first?
Old 04-15-2019, 04:29 PM
GS982
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 200 Posts
Finalist 2021 C3 of the Year - Modified
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

I used all Automotive TouchUp products including their paint prep wipes, adhesion promoter, primer, color, clear, etc. and if I could have a do over, I would buy covers already painted. I believe my issues were user error/inexperience, and I do think Automotive TouchUp offers great products. Here are a couple of my takeaways/mistakes.

1.) If you plan to sand/smooth the covers first, good enough will not be good enough. While I was able to sand the flat areas completely smooth, some of the tight crevices that had to sanded by hand still had some slight texture. I thought the primer would be enough to get rid of the rest of the texture, unfortunately it did not. I ran into a body guy at a car show who told me he used super glue and a plastic squeegee to fill all the dimples in the plastic and then sanding took no time. Don't know how well it works, but might be worth a try as sanding the covers is a royal PITA!

2.) Cleaning the parts is the most important step. I've only driven the car 200 miles or so since I painted my covers (probably 15-20 heat cycles) and the paint is already bubbling. I'm pretty sure it had to be residual oil on the covers, but do not see how as I used a commercial degreaser, followed by dish soap bath overnight. I then allowed the parts to dry for a couple days. Just prior to painting I wiped them down with IPA and used a paint prep wipe once I had the parts hung ready to spray. I was also wearing gloves during the entire process. Don't know how I could have cleaned them better, but pretty sure that is the cause of the bubbling.

3.) Let the paint cure for a week or so before installing. I taped the edge of the covers to get them around the fuel line, but the new paint still "rolled" off the edge under the tape because it was too soft. Alternately, I suppose you could remove the fuel line for the install and then reinstall.

4.) The only tip I have that turned out great is using pre-cut vinyl letters. I sprayed the color then installed the black vinyl letters and cleared over them. You can't tell the letters are vinyl and they turned out much better than had I tried to mask and paint the letters.

Hope this helps, but for the time I have in my covers, I wish I had let the pros do it. Would have been well worth the extra $$$.
The following users liked this post:
Mayor111 (04-15-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 04:33 PM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,950 Likes on 937 Posts

Originally Posted by Legalice

Would you mind posting close-up, bigger pictures? Im sorry but I cant see any of the work you have done in those photos...Thanks!
Old 04-15-2019, 08:19 PM
Legalice
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by farmington
Did you sand them smooth first?
no I wanted the texture
Old 04-16-2019, 08:41 AM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,733 Likes on 874 Posts

who hasn't ?
Old 04-20-2019, 02:12 PM
Stephen Meredith
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

I don't know how to make the pics smaller...sorry.
  • Cleaning
  • Scuff
  • adhesion promoter
  • seal
  • sand
  • shoot black base (cheap ebay speedokote)
  • copperhead fire pearl in 3 micdoats
  • orange holographic flake in 1 midcoat
  • 3 coats of clear (ebay)
Total cost was under $50 to do fuel covers, intake, valve covers

Get notified of new replies

To Who has painted their Fuel Rails?

Quick Reply: Who has painted their Fuel Rails?