C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want to add "growl to my 2006 C6.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 03:30 PM
sobe88
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmyS5600
Anyone know the sound difference between the Loudmouth vs Loudmouth 2? Is the BB Bullet about the same sound
as the SLP's? I have NPP with the fuse pulled,just not enough for me
The Loudmouth I loved, friend had Loudmouth 2 and it was like if the Loudmouth 1 was muffled a bit, I just didn't care for it. BB Bullet I have not been able to compare with similar setup to my own in person sadly, but aside from that they typically sound great as well.
Old 04-20-2019, 05:29 PM
davo2110
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Check out the Akrapovic-sounds great '10 GS
Old 04-20-2019, 05:44 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver Epoch
There was a thread a couple weeks ago about the Hooker Blackheart exhaust. Price was good as were the reviews.
I currently have Kooks headers and uncatted xpipe with the Corsa Sport. I'm looking to change to something with more of a growl and add cats.
Once you put hi flow cats on your volume will be basically cut in half. Been there years ago. Xtreme will be the difference. I wanted really over the top loud at times so I had cutouts installed.
The following users liked this post:
Silver Epoch (04-30-2019)
Old 04-20-2019, 05:49 PM
JameyTurner
Too Much Fun
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 180 Likes on 79 Posts

I have a set of Flowmaster I am probably about to take off of mine to go with a B&B setup if you are Interested.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:15 PM
RedRedRed
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

I went with Corsa Sports on my '09 and I love 'em. Nice throaty growl at idle and normal driving, loud and snarly when you get on it and no drone. IIRC they were about $1400 with installation 7 or 8 years ago, but well worth the price. The car went from sounding like a Cadillac to sounding like a Corvette.
06Rawpower (04-29-2019)
Old 04-21-2019, 07:13 AM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 960 Likes on 572 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

Originally Posted by Jeff T.
Corsa doesn't make the Touring anymore, it was barely louder than stock. I've had the Corsa Indy, now called Sport on two cars and its fine for me. Loud when you lay on it, quiet when you don't.

Had a Magnaflow, droned like a beyotch, had it off in a week...

YMMV...
No drone on my 05. Like I said, Corsa or Magnaflow!
Old 04-21-2019, 08:08 AM
ontime
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 85 Posts

ok couldn't resist

I had to do it
06Rawpower (04-29-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 10:28 PM
Powelltc1
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Plus one for the Corsa Sport axel back exhaust. I absolutely love it. Sounds good all the time, but not too loud. If you get on it though, it is loud and mean. Down shifts give you a gurgle and pop, with no resonance. Highly recommended.
06Rawpower (04-29-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 07:51 AM
Narddog
Pro

Received 145 Likes on 111 Posts

+1 on Corsa Sports. Running those on my 07 and truly is a beautiful unique sound. Would love to add some long tubes to open 'er up!
Old 04-24-2019, 10:48 AM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 180 Posts

You can't go wrong with Corsa. They definitely carry a premium but they are worth it. Had the catback XPipe Xtreme on my Camaro2SS and buddy put the axle back Xtreme on is 08 Vette. Sounds very good and you get no drone and the tips are the tops. If you want growl I would recommend the XTreme over the Sport, but either would be a great option.
Roger2013GS (04-26-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 10:53 AM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bruze
Ha yes, somebody here drilled holes in their mufflers.

Don't remember how it turned out, but probably doesn't sound all that great.
I read through some of the old threads that talked about that. One of them had a video clip of the sound, it was actually pretty good. But there seems to be a couple different methods. The long thread he drilled through and pulled some of, or maybe all of the glass packing out. Sounded good, but I would be worried about drone with modifying the stock.

That thread had a cutaway drawing of the stock muffler. I wonder if there is a cut away of a NPP Muffler. Would be interesting to see how they differ internally. Funny the videos and posts that talk about the NPP "Muffler Mod". Sorry pulling a fuse isn't a muffler mod.
Bruze (04-24-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 12:07 PM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Here is the thread.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ler-mod-9.html

Post #175 valpovetteguy goes over the process in detail and he stated

This mod is AWESOME, it cost me nothing, and I personally think it sounds better then many aftermarket exhaust...there is ZERO drone. It is not loud like the stingers or bullets, but its not quiet like stock, best of all its wife approved.
This is a bit more involved than some have stated they have done. Think some others just drilled a hole just under where the exhaust tips come out of the back. That is definitely simpler than valpovetteguy did.

I may actually look into doing this. Just something to try before replacing the mufflers. Probably try it right before I pull a trigger on the mufflers just to see how they sound like. The cutaway in the drawing seems like you could cut a larger hole on the rear of the exhaust and change it to two out takes on the cans like the NPP has with the valve completely open. Would like to see a NPP cutaway to see how they look internally. Doing some searches to see if I can find one.
06Rawpower (04-29-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 12:25 PM
farmington
Safety Car

Received 1,119 Likes on 798 Posts

I have a Borla S (Stinger) with rest of exhaust stock. Sounds very nice, but will be too loud (for me) when the headers and castles midpipe go on, so I will put the factory mufflers back on. If it’s too quiet I will do the muffler mod, starting with a small hole and increase the size until I get the sound I like.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:29 PM
smd001
Pro

Received 106 Likes on 59 Posts

I have BB Bullets with no cats and long tubes. Long tubes actually muted some of the drone but it is loud and I love the sound it makes. Snap, crackle....pop. You have to really want loud if you go with Bullets. As I age I will probably get something more reasoned. Or not.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:34 PM
jchappies
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

I would go to a local cars&coffee or something and listen to them in person and see if that's what you want.
I personally liked the Borla ATAK the best, no drone and with the SC now when you get on it everyone knows...lol
Old 04-24-2019, 01:07 PM
JD C6
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

If you want old school rumble exhaust note. Then go with Borla ATAK
Yes it is $$$ but it is worth it.
I have it on my car and love the sound.
Old 04-24-2019, 01:33 PM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

What I find amazing is the Corvette tax. I bought a full cat back Corsa Xtreme with the XPipe for my Camaro and for the same price you get the Corsa Xtreme Axleback for the Vette. Two mufflers, a couple feet of pipe and the tips.

Get notified of new replies

To I want to add "growl to my 2006 C6.

Old 04-24-2019, 10:15 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by SPSandman
Here is the thread.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ler-mod-9.html

Post #175 valpovetteguy goes over the process in detail and he stated

This is a bit more involved than some have stated they have done. Think some others just drilled a hole just under where the exhaust tips come out of the back. That is definitely simpler than valpovetteguy did.

I may actually look into doing this. Just something to try before replacing the mufflers. Probably try it right before I pull a trigger on the mufflers just to see how they sound like. The cutaway in the drawing seems like you could cut a larger hole on the rear of the exhaust and change it to two out takes on the cans like the NPP has with the valve completely open. Would like to see a NPP cutaway to see how they look internally. Doing some searches to see if I can find one.
Be sure to post back if you try this.
Old 04-26-2019, 03:00 PM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bruze
Be sure to post back if you try this.
Definitely will do! The weather looks like it will be good tomorrow, so hopefully I find some time to work on it. There is a video of the before and after in the thread I linked. However, he says the phone doesn't do it justice and it is hard to hear much of a difference. I know that happens, I made a before and after video when I put my Corsa Xtremes on my Camaro and it didn't do it justice either.

I am tempted to pick up or borrow a welder and cut a second exit and splitting the tips onto the two separate exit pipes like the NPP. I would like to find a cutaway to the NPP to see how is it designed and see if it is similar and they simply do the same thing but add the valve on that one exit pipe. The mufflers look to be the same size and layout, just the base muffler has a single outlet with two tips and the NPP has dual outlets and the tips, one outlet having the valve. But I guess they wouldn't have done something that simple and up-charge it that much... would they?

Here are the links to one set of videos of before and after the mod one member, jaredtxrx, made

and

Last edited by SPSandman; 04-26-2019 at 03:07 PM.
Old 04-26-2019, 04:23 PM
SPSandman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Actually found another post where a member modded the NPP exhaust and had a cutout of it. He closed up the angled pipe that has the holes in it. So the mufflers are different, but wonder what the stock would sound like with two outlets instead of one... Not sure I want to try that, maybe when I am about to pull the trigger on a new exhaust just to check it out.

Here is the base muffler cutaway.

Here is the NPP muffler cutaway. Looks like it is also a triple chamber, middle chamber has similar packing as the base muffler. This pick they already removed it to do their mod. I have heard that NPP mufflers with the valve closed are quieter than the stock muffler and looking at this I could understand that. Though doing the mod where those holes get covered should make it even quieter with the valve closed ad that is the pipe with the valve on it but definitely should make it louder with the valve open.

Quick Reply: I want to add "growl to my 2006 C6.