C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reversed Polarity C6

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 10:00 AM
Vetteburn
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reversed Polarity C6

I had a new stereo put in. I week later after not driving the car, battery was dead. I tried to jump start it. Didn't work. I took the battery to the shop where it was recharged and checked out. Everything fine with battery. I reattached and now stereo lights up screen but dash is dead. Will not start nor will accessory work. Is there a fuse that protects against wrong polarity? Did I fry the whole car? Has anyone been through this ordeal. I have not had contact with the people who installed the stereo yet. I find it odd that with the car off that the stereo screen stays on. It did not do that when I drove the car home and parked it the first day. Thanks all for any advice, Hector Jr aka Vetteburn.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:01 PM
koreanbeefcake
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

I literally spend last weekend dealing with this.

The radio screen stayed on for some reason even though the car was completely dead. I don't get it.

Regardless, long story short, I read something about the ECM fuses. There is a 15a ECM fuse under the passenger footwell (you just pull it back from the top) and the underhood fuse box. I replaced both of those and made sure my battery connections were tight (you'll read the stock connectors are not very tight at all)

After I did those things, the car worked fine. I just bought a new CTEK battery tender, so I never have this headache again.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:15 AM
Vetteburn
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reversed Polarity

Thanks for your time. I am wondering if cars these days have a safeguard. After reinstalling a fully charged battery the car had a dark dash and would not start. The next day was the same. I kept disconnecting battery because radio screen stayed on. The next day I reattached the battery and the car started. I think the car probably needed to discharge to a safe level. All is fine now.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:35 AM
koreanbeefcake
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Yeah, I never found a real reason to the problem, but the car works now. If you ever figure it out, be sure to post it up.

Get notified of new replies

To Reversed Polarity C6

Quick Reply: Reversed Polarity C6