C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Belt noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 08:01 PM
ErikR
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 81 Posts

Just an FYI, original GM balancers, like you'd likely get as a replacement, have been know to fail.... There are reports on this forum of that happening. Some, not all that long after replacement!

Others have had good results with both Powerbond and ATI. Be aware of potential problems if you use an underdrive (smaller) balancer on a basically stock motor. Some have had charging issues and possible cooling issues.

It seems to be common for a balancer replacement at an independent shop to run about $900. That's for an ATI balancer, belts, bolt, and seal.

Others have done it themselves and saved a ton of $$, but it's more work than I was comfortable with. Don't feel bad, my 2007 had balancer issue a week after I got it.

Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
corvettejoe2006 (04-23-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 08:57 PM
corvettejoe2006
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for your reply. If it is replaced under warranty, I’ll be okay with the GM part, but will definitely look at the others you and people have suggested if it’s going to cost me anything.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:45 PM
Trebor
Drifting

Received 256 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by corvettejoe2006
Thanks for your reply. If it is replaced under warranty, I’ll be okay with the GM part, but will definitely look at the others you and people have suggested if it’s going to cost me anything.
Owned my 2006 A6 Triple black convertible for 60 days 45,000 miles this past October. Chirp and wobble started. Wobble was probably there when I bought it. GM Dealer replaced the HB with a stock unit. I got lucky since used cars usually only carry a 30 day warranty. I could not dictate the brand since they were willing to pay for it. They replaced both serpentine belts, HB and did a 4 wheel alignment because they dropped the front sub frame. $0 to me would have been $1600 out of pocket. If you get your dealer to pay for it, they will use an OEM HB. That is OK since it should be good for 40k - 50k miles.

Good luck
The following users liked this post:
corvettejoe2006 (04-23-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 11:20 AM
corvettejoe2006
Advanced

Another Update....the Chevy dealer that diagnosed my HB says their Corvette tech guy is leaving for good on Friday.....so I have to bring it to another nearby Chevy dealer with a good Vette tech to get it fixed. Good part is, my small dealer that I bought the car from is going to pay for the fix! I may be getting a GM part, but at least it won't be coming out of my pocket.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:31 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

“Goes through the hood” is my biggest concern (other than the embarrassment of being stranded roadside as people drive by seeing the pristine convertible with the hood up). Mine didn’t chirp a bit during the test drive or on the 80 mile ride home....and started the next time we took the car out, the next day.
LOL....and understood. But one thing more embarrassing than a C-6 stranded with its hood up is a C-6 stranded with a its hood up and a hole in it !!..... And I hate to be the bearer of bad news.....but if the embarrassment gets to ya....then once you get the balancer fixed then you can worry about the auto stuck-in-park and the auto cable breaking thingy.....less of course you have a manual.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:34 AM
corvettejoe2006
Advanced

Mine is a 6-speed...so at least I can avoid the stuck-in-park issue lol.
Old 04-24-2019, 02:59 PM
BMF_C6
Pro

Received 311 Likes on 186 Posts

Another Update....the Chevy dealer that diagnosed my HB says their Corvette tech guy is leaving for good on Friday.....so I have to bring it to another nearby Chevy dealer with a good Vette tech to get it fixed. Good part is, my small dealer that I bought the car from is going to pay for the fix! I may be getting a GM part, but at least it won't be coming out of my pocket.
I would almost have to demand that the GM dealer install an aftermarket HB, the GM HBs are a known issue and what happens a year from now when/if this happens again with no warranty?

Even if you have to purchase one and give it to them to install, that would be better and give you the piece of mind knowing that you wont have an issue in the future....

You can purchase the - PowerBond Race Series Harmonic Balancer PB1117SS for ~ $225 at O'reily's or many other places......then the ARP bolt can be had on Amazon or Ebay for ~$40.

Good Luck but don't let them put an OEM HB back on you engine!!!
Old 04-24-2019, 07:50 PM
Trebor
Drifting

Received 256 Likes on 157 Posts

[QUOTE=BMF_C6;1599284325]I would almost have to demand that the GM dealer install an aftermarket HB, the GM HBs are a known issue and what happens a year from now when/if this happens again with no warranty?

Even if you have to purchase one and give it to them to install, that would be better and give you the piece of mind knowing that you wont have an issue in the future....

You can purchase the - PowerBond Race Series Harmonic Balancer PB1117SS for ~ $225 at O'reily's or many other places......then the ARP bolt can be had on Amazon or Ebay for ~$40.

When the dealer says they will pay for the whole thing, you are not demanding anything. It's take it or walk and pay for it out of pocket.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:25 PM
I B Old
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE=BMF_C6;1599284325]I would almost have to demand that the GM dealer install an aftermarket HB, the GM HBs are a known issue and what happens a year from now when/if this happens again with no warranty

GM dealer will install aftermarket parts if you supply them. That’s what I did but of course they would only guarantee their
labor, not the parts. As for being a know issue they always claim “never heard of that problem” . Been down that road many times with both cars and motorcycles .

Quick Reply: Belt noise