C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS3 valley cover issue.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 09:54 AM
NOLA70
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LS3 valley cover issue.

I have a 2003 Z06 with an LS3 (out of a 2012 C6 Corvette) transplant. It seems the builder pieced together parts from various engines and I'm having an issue with oil blow-by.
After I bought the car, I noticed the drivers side valve cover had a piece of hose connected to it (to the vent tube), but it wrapped around the engine and was just laying under the throttle body...no really doing anything. The throttle body vacuum tube was capped off, and the passenger side valve cover was just open. Not knowing really what I was doing, I added a piece of hose to the passenger side vent tube of the valve cover and with a y-fitting, joined it to the vent hose coming around the engine from the drivers side, with both going to the vacuum port behind the throttle body. Of course, it really wasn't doing anything since there was no "inlet" for air into the crankcase.

Now, I've realized that things were not right, so I installed a catch-can to the passenger side valve cover vent tube and to the vacuum port behind the throttle body., and the drivers side vent tube is connected to the hose coming off the air cleaner box. Now I have a looped system I thought it needed.

Only one problem....I took the car out for a Cars-N-Coffee on Saturday morning, and a local cruise night Saturday night, and I check the catch can and I have about 4 oz of oil in it! After only about 50 miles!

Something's not right. It's sucking oil out of the valve cover. Does the valve covers have baffling underneath the vent tube to prevent this? The valley cover doesn't appear to have a vent tube, so It appears it's not the correct valley cover.

If it's the valley cover that needs replacing, anyone know which one (part number) I should be using?

My question is, is this excessive oil in the catch can caused by the valve cover not having the proper baffling to prevent this, of should I just get a valley cover with the vent tube, which does have the baffling, and hook the catch can to it?

Anyone got any ideas?
Old 04-21-2019, 03:29 PM
captain vette
Safety Car

Received 1,214 Likes on 793 Posts

i have just installed a catch can on my LS3 and after over 650 miles all i have in it was about a teaspoon of oil. So yes you have a problem but a cannot help you much as i am no mechanic. Good luck.

Quick Reply: LS3 valley cover issue.