C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HU upgrade/SiriusXM reception

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 08:10 PM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

[QUOTE=C6Whatever;1599343219]Roblo I know and listen to this one. He has the RPS-GM11 pac at $229.95, the double din kit at $24.95. I almost chocked to death.
Its good to cross paths again. I hop all is good with you. Waving at cha from Louisiana again
Lisa]

Wow, that GM-11, as madson said is $95 on Crutchfield but I'm pretty sure if you buy the head unit from them it was on sale for $55 and that includes the double din kit, the DD kit by itself was $6 if you buy their head unit. Maybe another thing to try is any local Corvette clubs, they can be pretty helpful too. My guy is from a local Vette club I used to belong to, he is a friend of a good friend and has been in business for 26 years so I know he knows his stuff...we'll see.

O.K., I'm gonna ask a bunch of questions here, some may be dumb so I'm apologizing in advance. All you who have responded seem pretty helpful so I hope that will continue and I'm thanking you all in advance- I have an '05 base coupe, A4, Z51, 37K miles, HUD, Bose system pretty much stock, I have a Kawal PAL installed for XM , no engine or performance mods and NO steering wheel controls, love it and probably gonna keep it for the rest of my life. I want to make this all as much plug and play as I can, don't really want to cut and solder but I will if I have to-
Other then the head unit which I will decide on, what else will I need? I'm guessing the PAC RP5-GM11, that is the wiring harness that will connect the HU to the car to make everything play nice, correct? Will I need any other harnesses? I'll also need the Double Din kit, the "face-plate" correct? Also I'll need an XM module, should that plug right into the HU? And an XM antenna which will plug into the XM module (correct?) and mount somewhere in the car? I read that that antenna had to mounted OUTSIDE the car, no way I want to do that, I already have "the wart" mounted on my roof, do you know if it's possible to splice into the wart and use that as my XM antenna? Also I want front and rear cameras, they also plug into the rear of the head unit, correct? Do you have any suggestions for cameras, I see they vary in function, some with "movable" lines. And what about a microphone, I saw you can splice into and use the OEM mic or install and position a different mic (included with the HU), any suggestions or thoughts on that?
I know some of these are pretty basic questions and have been asked before but searching through the Forum trying to find all the posts/threads is almost as daunting as choosing a head unit. Thanks again to all...

Last edited by RobLo; 05-05-2019 at 08:14 PM.
Old 05-05-2019, 08:32 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Roblo,
Copied and pasted from one of my previous posts:

Here is all the stuff I bought for my install. The Pac Audio harness/interface works with and/or without Bose systems. The installation gear is the same regardless of what brand head unit you buy. In my case I went with the Pioneer 8200nex. I got the head unit and all the installation gear from Amazon.

1- Pac Audio RP5-GM11 wiring harness with steering wheel controls (RP4-GM11 is also compatible and an alternative to the RP5)
2- Metra 95-3304 double din face plate
3- Sirius XM SXV300v1 tuner (optional if you want Sirius XM) and Sirius XM 10ft antenna ext. cable (if u want to re-use factory antenna)
4- Pyle PCNM38FRV back up camera (was only $17 but works great)
5- A pack of crimp style cap connectors 22/18 gauge and a crimp plier (since I didn't have one)

You can re-use the existing XM antenna with the cable mentioned but I just want to mention that my SiriusXm reception still stinks. I have since cancelled XM and use the Sirius app through my phone and works much better for me.

Last edited by TorchRedFred; 05-05-2019 at 08:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jimijam (05-06-2019)
Old 05-05-2019, 09:01 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Also Roblo, the XM antenna does not get mounted on the outside of the car. The XM module connects to the back of the head unit and comes with an antenna that gets mounted somewhere hidden from sight. The cameras get connected to the back of the head unit also via a RCA cable. I only installed a backup camera and ran the RCA cable to the head unit and the power cables to the reverse light for power. The mic for the head unit/phone, I mounted mine on the A-pillar up high closer to the sun visor right next to the factory mic. The whole process is much simpler than it sounds. Once you get a head unit and the interface, you can connect most of the wiring in your living room before even touching your car making the head unit plug and play. After that it's just installing the cameras.

Last edited by TorchRedFred; 05-05-2019 at 09:02 PM.
RobLo (05-06-2019)
Old 05-05-2019, 10:13 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

I went to stereo shop for an estimate for my 2005 to install a better stereo system and back up cam. Cost? $2,500 which is too much ...must be a Corvette tax. Went to Costco bought a wireless back up cam for $99.00 and that solved that problem. However the stereo still the BASE factory AM/FM CD player with speakers in the doors that do not have the words "BOSE" on them could use some improvement.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:44 PM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
Also Roblo, the XM antenna does not get mounted on the outside of the car. The XM module connects to the back of the head unit and comes with an antenna that gets mounted somewhere hidden from sight. The cameras get connected to the back of the head unit also via a RCA cable. I only installed a backup camera and ran the RCA cable to the head unit and the power cables to the reverse light for power. The mic for the head unit/phone, I mounted mine on the A-pillar up high closer to the sun visor right next to the factory mic. The whole process is much simpler than it sounds. Once you get a head unit and the interface, you can connect most of the wiring in your living room before even touching your car making the head unit plug and play. After that it's just installing the cameras.
O.K., thanks again Fred. I have an updated XM module and a PAL installed, can I use the existing XM module with the new head unit or do I have to buy the new one? I don't care about the money but it would be much easier using the OEM one. Maybe they make a harness or connector that would go from the HU back to the XM module located in the left rear wheel well inside the hatchback. Also, I thought I read something about splicing into the OEM mic and keeping that in the same location, on the front A pillar, do you know anything about that? And one more question, can I use the existing OEM XM antenna, I have the infamous "wart" on the halo. Any way I could get an adapter to go from the new HU and tap into the OEM antenna? THANKS again...
Old 05-07-2019, 01:45 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Roblo, I was told you could not reuse the factory XM module but you can connect to the factory XM antenna. You need to buy a SiriusXm 10ft antenna extension cable. I got one from Amazon for under $10. You have to run it from the new XM behind the head unit to the factory module above the passenger side rear wheel. Also, I got my XM tuner (SXV300v1) from Amazon for $36.

Also you can reuse and splice into the factory mic. I had an audio installer tell me I couldn't do that, so I ran the one from the head unit right next to the factory one on the A pillar. Running the new mic was easy to do, but others have spliced into the factory mic without issue.
RobLo (05-07-2019)
Old 06-07-2019, 05:09 PM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Quick Reply: HU upgrade/SiriusXM reception