C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cabin smells sour when a/c is running

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 06:13 PM
tbran6
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SixAddict
AC Delco CF-139 cabin filter, turn air on high with filter removed spray a lot of Lysol into filter housing this will kill the mold.
moisture sits in there and turns rank. One thing about a dry heat out here I don't have that issue to bad.
This worked for me.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:49 PM
southofHoustonVette
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Well just drove the car for about 10 miles and the drain dropped in the garage when I parked it so I will say it is clear. Now to spray Lysol in the air to kill anything and hope for the best
Originally Posted by cmonkey713
If the drain is plugged then the condensation has collected in the evaporator box causing the box and coil to be contaminated with mold. If this the case you would need to take it to a good auto shop or dealer and have them use the BG evaporator cleaner foam in the box. No amount of spray in the fresh air intake will clean the coil.
I do not have the car up in the aorta get a pic of the drain or I would send it to you, sorry.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:14 PM
Widgeon5
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenny Hammond
Not too sure what’s making it smell bad but I pulled the plastic off the passenger side a/c blower and did not see a filter for the cabin. I have a leather air freshener on the mirror. Any ideas?
Assuming the evaporator drain is clear, this odor problem can be avoided completely by drying it out before parking the car after your last drive of the day. The last two minutes of your drive, shut off the air conditioner and leave the blower on high. This serves the same purpose as the "afterblow" function mentioned in another post. The mold/algae/mildew causing the odors cannot grow if there is no moisture.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:21 PM
southofHoustonVette
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

True
Originally Posted by Widgeon5
Assuming the evaporator drain is clear, this odor problem can be avoided completely by drying it out before parking the car after your last drive of the day. The last two minutes of your drive, shut off the air conditioner and leave the blower on high. This serves the same purpose as the "afterblow" function mentioned in another post. The mold/algae/mildew causing the odors cannot grow if there is no moisture.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:23 AM
stingray71
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 138 Posts

See post #7 of this thread for a picture and location of the A/C drain:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...luid-leak.html

Quick Reply: Cabin smells sour when a/c is running