C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key FOB Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 12:44 AM
Genvani
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key FOB Help

Just bought my first C6 this past weekend.. 2010 1LT base. Already love the thing to pieces! However I am finding to be having quite a bit of difficulty with the key FOB. It is VERY hit and miss. Passive system only functions for locking the vehicle when I walk away. Today the car would not unlock at all, even after I replaced the FOB battery and double checked everything inside of it. A little later got the car to unlock with the FOB, only when I held it over the windshield. It wont lock at all using the FOB; it seems as if 90% of the time none of the buttons work on the key. The weird part is that the car never has an issue recognizing it when it's inside the vehicle, however when I insert it into the glove box the car doesnt even read it. Please help!! I hate not knowing when it will and will not work... Had to climb in through the trunk earlier today and boy was that embarrassing. Thanks much!
Old 04-23-2019, 01:08 AM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,755 Likes on 1,167 Posts

Do you have a cell phone near the fob ? Sometimes they can cause interference.
The following users liked this post:
Genvani (04-23-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 01:10 AM
Genvani
7th Gear

I'll have to try without the phone..usually the phone is at least arms length away from the FOB when I try to use it
Old 04-23-2019, 01:38 AM
Genvani
7th Gear

Just tried without the cellphone present. Out of 15 attempts to unlock the car, only 3 worked. Still no luck locking the car at all, and the trunk released once after I clicked it and held it about 5 or 6 times... So back to square 1 LOL.
Old 04-23-2019, 01:44 AM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,755 Likes on 1,167 Posts

The battery you replaced in it could be bad also, even if you bought it new, there's been many instances documented here where people have gotten new batteries that ended uo being bad.
Old 04-23-2019, 01:56 AM
Genvani
7th Gear

I'll check into the battery in the FOB tomorrow, thanks!
Old 04-23-2019, 02:26 AM
Gator6977
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Also, please don't climb through the trunk. There is a door and gas door release just inside the trunk to the left. They might be behind the carpet.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:01 AM
jonjamis
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My off brand chinese batteries(they checked good) would not operate in the fob. I tried Panasonic and it worked properly.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:55 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Gator6977
Also, please don't climb through the trunk. There is a door and gas door release just inside the trunk to the left. They might be behind the carpet.
And over the driver's side tire well.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:25 PM
Genvani
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Gator6977
I tried the door release, and it seemed to pop the door open only partially. Because the car was locked, it didnt seem to want to let go and let me open the door.. is there something special I need to do in order to get it to open fully?
Old 04-23-2019, 12:40 PM
hmmmm16417
Drifting

Received 182 Likes on 142 Posts

I have issues with my FOBs sometimes as well. Seems to have gotten worse since I did the sound deadending and new head unit. Maybe just coincidence ? I've actually had to insert it into the glove compartment slot to get it to work....and it STILL didn't work right away. Anyway, I'm going to change the batteries anyway as I'm not sure when they were changed last....if they ever were (2006).

one thing for sure, when i have my diablosport trinity plugged in, it DEFINITELY interferes with the FOB
Old 04-23-2019, 01:45 PM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Genvani
I tried the door release, and it seemed to pop the door open only partially. Because the car was locked, it didnt seem to want to let go and let me open the door.. is there something special I need to do in order to get it to open fully?
Not sure but I think the window will hang up because the index feature doesn't work using the manual release. Have to give it a little help to open.

Last edited by extrapilot; 04-23-2019 at 01:46 PM.
Genvani (04-23-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 04:58 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,782 Likes on 1,142 Posts

Based on what the OP wrote, I'm assuming that there is no second fob with the car. If it was purchased from a dealer, go back and insist that they provide you with the second fob - these cars shipped with 2. If not from a dealer, then you really should have a second fob as a backup in any case. Now, when you say that if you put the fob 'in the glove box', I'm assuming that you speak of the glove box 'slot'. The key needs to be oriented correctly: buttons facing the passenger side, and key end out. The fob should be recognized by the car even if the fob battery is removed. If it isn't recognized, then there is some other problem present, such as the RCDLR antenna having become detached from it's usual spot. Having a second working fob would really help in trouble shooting the problem, since it would point to the original fob as having a problem, or the car having a problem.

Last edited by FatsWaller; 04-23-2019 at 05:02 PM. Reason: pic
Genvani (04-23-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 08:05 PM
Genvani
7th Gear

Wow, this information is wonderful, thank you guys so much. Here's the update as of now: Replaced the FOB battery again, and the car will unlock most of the time.. still takes a few clicks. The passive entry even worked once, when I placed the key practically next to the receiver by the door. However, no such luck locking the car at all. I tried the glove box slot again today, correct orientation and I still got nothing on the dash. Unfortunately, I have no second key. What is interesting is that I had the cars battery tested today and after the test, it couldnt find the key until I sat it on the dash on top of where the RCDLR is. I'm wondering if a weak car battery could play a role? It had 12.4 volts at shut off, but started dropping kinda quick with the dome lights and accessories on. Thanks so much guys
Old 04-23-2019, 08:10 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

A weak main battery makes some funky stuff happen to the electronics in the C6. Get it load tested and change out as required.
Genvani (04-23-2019)
Old 04-27-2019, 11:49 PM
Genvani
7th Gear

Update on the car:

Load tested the vehicle battery and it holds up fine, so that can be crossed off the list. I used a friends scanner and pulled up the RCDLR module. It shows no fault codes and says that the FOB battery is low.. even though it's been replaced twice. Could a funky FOB circuit board cause these shenanigans? It would explain why I can unlock the car at very close range but not lock it. I'm thinking a replacement FOB would be a heck of a lot cheaper than replacing the RCDLR unit.. Thanks for the input!
Old 04-28-2019, 12:27 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Genvani
Update on the car:

Load tested the vehicle battery and it holds up fine, so that can be crossed off the list. I used a friends scanner and pulled up the RCDLR module. It shows no fault codes and says that the FOB battery is low.. even though it's been replaced twice. Could a funky FOB circuit board cause these shenanigans? It would explain why I can unlock the car at very close range but not lock it. I'm thinking a replacement FOB would be a heck of a lot cheaper than replacing the RCDLR unit.. Thanks for the input!
It's not unusual for new fob batteries to be low on voltage. Many folks here have found that out. Also, I don't remember the brand(s), but some batteries have the battery brand and other info inscribed on one side of the battery. Those batteries FREQUENTLY will not work well in the fob.

Try to buy your fob battery from some company that sells many of them. Check the new battery voltage after you get it. Don't buy the batteries with things engraved on the outside of the battery.
Genvani (04-28-2019)
Old 04-28-2019, 12:44 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette_DD
It's not unusual for new fob batteries to be low on voltage. Many folks here have found that out. Also, I don't remember the brand(s), but some batteries have the battery brand and other info inscribed on one side of the battery. Those batteries FREQUENTLY will not work well in the fob.

Try to buy your fob battery from some company that sells many of them. Check the new battery voltage after you get it. Don't buy the batteries with things engraved on the outside of the battery.
The auto parts stores and walgreens sell only Energizer batteries and never had any problems with them and the rough neg side of the battery has no effect.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:46 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

1. I wouldn't trust a load test of the car battery as far as I could actually chuck the battery, which is not far. Replace it! On this car, even a practically new car (depending on how it is used) will be substandard enough to allow wonky behavior.

2. I have bought a multi pack of 2032s and had a 80% failure rate, so ......

3. Whatever is happening, DO NOT reprogram you fob at this point! That pretty much never ends up helping anything. If your car ever recognizes the fob, then that is not your problem. They NEVER randomly become unprogrammed! This has never not once ever been documented on this forum, just sayin'!

4. Sometimes it is helpful to have two people (or ape arms) when when pulling the tab and pulling on the door to open.

Get notified of new replies

To Key FOB Help

Quick Reply: Key FOB Help