C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z06 Engine swap on a budget

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 04:29 PM
Ike D
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z06 Engine swap on a budget

So I happen to runs across a z06 that had the engine stollen and I can acquire the rest of the car fairly cheap. The transmission and other major parts are still intact.

Jusy out out of recommendations I know a ls7 is way out of my budget rang. Almost a ls3 also. What would y’all recommend on the from of using a LQ9 of some sort and going turbo? What would be the most budget friendly swap that I could add forced induction and have similar power. I’m not planned on drag racing, just toying around in the garage and fun drive around town with the possible track day.

Thanks
Old 04-24-2019, 04:49 PM
luka2sb
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

it is unclear to me, you are planning to put in a truck engine plus turbo it for less than the cost of an LS7?
I don't think a truck engine + turbo setup will cost less than an LS7, unless of course you have the skill and tools to do a lot of your own fabrication, but if you already had all that knowledge, you wouldn't be asking for advice on a forum, you'd either be doing it, or given up on the project already.
I went though this thought process, and sourced all the parts it would take to turbo a corvette on the cheap, and if you're honest with yourself and sum just the cost of the parts you'll see its a lot more money than you think, not even considering labor and fabrication.

also never heard of "engine stollen" and i am skeptical... i'm calling BS.

also be aware that LQ9 is a 3rd gen, and LS3/LS7 are 4th gen engines, at least become familiar with the differences and what it would take to mix and match.

your grammar is so bad i can't figure out what your asking, are you trying to find the cheapest way to make 500 crank horsepower to be LS7 equivalent, or what is your hp goal?

Last edited by luka2sb; 04-24-2019 at 04:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ike D (04-24-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 05:24 PM
Ike D
7th Gear

Thanks for your input and honesty. I have been through two years of welding and fabrication school so I believe that I can fab up the turbos myself. However, I was wondering if there was a particularly better ls truck based engine to boost for this application to have similar output as the ls7.

Im not sure if the engine was actually “stolen” that is just what the previous own told me. I figured this might be a fun less expensive way for me to get into a c6 z06. I know they are going down in price, but if I can buy this roller for 7.5k and drop another 3.5k on engine etc. I thought I might have a relatively cheap ride. However, this might just be naive.
Old 04-24-2019, 05:30 PM
mn_vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

One thing to think about is that you will want the Corvette accessories on the engine to make it fit into the engine bay. If you have to piece those together they get pretty pricey. Any of the truck blocks will hold up well, but obviously more displacement is always better. See what you can find a deal on. If you are fabing up a turbo setup then the manifolds won't be much of a problem, but you may be able to pick up a used set of stock ones in the for sale section if you want to get the thing running N/A. I would also see what other parts are missing from the engine bay that you may need. Radiator, condenser, wire harness, and others add to the cost quickly.

Last edited by mn_vette; 04-24-2019 at 05:30 PM.
Ike D (04-24-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 05:45 PM
luka2sb
Instructor

what are your horsepower goals and i'm sure people here will make suggestions on how to get there on the cheap.
If the goal is 500 crank hp, i think an LS3 + cam is what i'd do, probably a new crate engine + cam kit that way everything is new, depending if you value that. if you want cheaper? source a used LS3 or any LS you'd like and add a cam.

If you want 600+ wheel horsepower, i think you got the right idea to get some truck engine + turbo, but even so i don't see it happening for $3.5k because of the price of the parts.
Depends on what you want to pay for: how cheap do you want to get? would you trust chinese wastegate & blowoff valve? how much do you want to pay for injectors? would you trust decapping the truck injectors? have you looked at the prices of an aftermarket clutch? stock LS7 clutch is cheap but is it strong enough? no clue.

How much do you trust the transmission is good in that roller... .
Old 04-24-2019, 08:04 PM
Ike D
7th Gear

Thanks for your input those are all good questions. I was hoping for 500+ crank so nothing to crazy. You might be right with the ls3 and cam idea. Just for the record below list the roller I’m talking with. I am not in no way affiliated with the seller.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/p...873466657.html

thanks
Old 04-24-2019, 08:10 PM
Ike D
7th Gear

Or is this something I shouldn’t touch with a ten foot pole?
Old 04-24-2019, 08:35 PM
ontime
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 85 Posts

looks like $8800 worth of headache to me. salvage title ,no engine, seats, windshield fenders and I can only imagine what else. it will only be an $8800 dollar car no matter what with a tarnished title. If the title was clean it might be something to build back up and hope for the best. This will be Frankenstein at best.Not trying to be mean here just wouldn't want you to waste hard earned cash for no return in the future.
The following 2 users liked this post by ontime:
h8snow (04-25-2019), Landru (04-25-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 08:41 PM
luka2sb
Instructor

shifter is missing, radiator, condenser & radiator support is missing, entire exhaust system is missing including mufflers, is the dry sump missing too? body panels cracked, windshield cracked, hoods are expensive. after market seats and rails are a minimum of $900.
notice that tow hook on the back, i've only seen those on cars that road race before.
who takes an engine out and leaves the fuel rail???

beyond all that i think the fact that it's a flood title might be more concerning. obviously the guy is stripping the car and as parts get sold he'll keep lowering the price of what's left.

i think mn_vette had it right, figure out everything that's missing, but the list of negatives is starting to get longer and longer.

EDIT: i was going to say buy it and strip it, but seller already did most of that, and with the flood damage the remaining parts may not be worth much, not worth parting out either

Last edited by luka2sb; 04-24-2019 at 08:46 PM.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:41 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,086 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by ontime

looks like $8800 worth of headache to me. salvage title ,no engine, seats, windshield fenders and I can only imagine what else. it will only be an $8800 dollar car no matter what with a tarnished title. If the title was clean it might be something to build back up and hope for the best. This will be Frankenstein at best.Not trying to be mean here just wouldn't want you to waste hard earned cash for no return in the future.
Very Good Advice !
Old 04-24-2019, 09:36 PM
Ron'sGS
Burning Brakes

Received 266 Likes on 198 Posts

OP you need to pass on that car. Save your money for something other than a parts car and a major headache!!
Old 04-24-2019, 11:33 PM
Ike D
7th Gear

I really appreciate everyone’s input. I will move along to another project. Just out of curiosity do y’all think it would be worth it if I could get it for around 5k and put a 5.3 twin turbo in it? Thanks

also, looks like they moved the post
https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/p...873466657.html

Last edited by Ike D; 04-24-2019 at 11:36 PM.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:45 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,443 Likes on 2,802 Posts

In short, no.

Longer version is that most of the truck engine wont work in the car anyways. Intake wont fit, accessories won't fit, the car wont ha spe worth a shot due to the extra weight up front, and who k ow what else is wrong with it.

Then theres the reality of it. Everyone on the internet says that truck ls turni builds are some magic **** that makes all the power and is super reliable for no money. ITS STRAIGHT BULLSHIT. My friend was sold on that and has a turbo 5.3 swapped Dakota. He has been working on it for 4 years and the furthest it's ever driven was the end of his street. It is chronically broken, because the whole concept is bullshit. If you want a turbo 5.3, buy an old reg cab short bed truck with a 5.3 and go from there.

Other sage advice. The words z06 and budget dont belong in a sentence together without a negative. The consumables like tires and brakes alone are budget killers. You could (and likely will) spend your engine budget on 20k miles worth of tires.

Last edited by FAUEE; 04-25-2019 at 12:46 AM.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:59 AM
captain vette
Safety Car

Received 1,209 Likes on 791 Posts

I’ll run from that car
Old 04-25-2019, 09:31 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

I'd pass on this one for all the above reasons, and one more.
Car's a C6 Z06, born w/ a LS7.
Anything other than a LS7 in a C6 Z06, is simply wrong.
Of course, JMHO.
slow_zo6 (04-25-2019)
Old 04-25-2019, 09:41 AM
Ike D
7th Gear

I appreciate everyone’s feedback. I’m sure I needed the reality check. Thanks
Old 04-25-2019, 10:53 AM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

I agree with all above, it was obviously tracked, hit, probably blew the engine thats why it's out, then on top a Flood salvage title which will probably give you electrical nightmares even if you did put an engine and fix the body. I would help them out and throw a match on it.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:15 AM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 191 Likes on 165 Posts

About the only way this might be feasible is if the intent was to create a track-only car and have a big budget to complete the project. The frame would have to be perfectly straight to even be in consideration. There are threads on the forum from people rebuilding flooded cars that detail some of the electrical headaches they ran into, but for a track build, the electrics and wiring would all be replaced anyway. I'd approach Katech to find out what a bullet proof LS-7 would cost, and believe it or not, they start with the LS-3 block.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 Engine swap on a budget

Quick Reply: Z06 Engine swap on a budget