C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP: Service Active Handling System, Service Traction Control.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 03:17 AM
Daniiaree
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP: Service Active Handling System, Service Traction Control.

Occasionally when I drive at both lower speeds & higher speeds, my Service Active Handling System will turn on.
At a slower velocity, it sometimes causes my brakes to lock up — which is sometimes a bit scary 😂—
At faster velocity’s, my brakes do not lock, but it causes a quick jerk that almost feels similar to wheel spin.

Also, my Service Traction Control alert came on today after reaching a higher speed and went away after having the car turned off for approximately 5 minutes.

I am wondering if there are any solutions for these headaches, as I prefer not to have to take the more expensive route, which would be taking it to the dealership.
*P.S. I checked my brake fluid, and it appears to be at proper level*

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-25-2019, 10:40 AM
jakmarlin
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Turn your car on and cycle through the DIC engine monitoring features (right side, near steering wheel) and see if your TPMS system shows air in all tires. I would get the tire pressure sensors reset at a tire store next. If TPMS has a fault, TC and AHS is locked out automatically. It a place to start.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:35 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Daniiaree
Occasionally when I drive at both lower speeds & higher speeds, my Service Active Handling System will turn on.
At a slower velocity, it sometimes causes my brakes to lock up — which is sometimes a bit scary 😂—
At faster velocity’s, my brakes do not lock, but it causes a quick jerk that almost feels similar to wheel spin.

Also, my Service Traction Control alert came on today after reaching a higher speed and went away after having the car turned off for approximately 5 minutes.

I am wondering if there are any solutions for these headaches, as I prefer not to have to take the more expensive route, which would be taking it to the dealership.
*P.S. I checked my brake fluid, and it appears to be at proper level*

Thanks in advance!
I had same problem with the "Service SES traction control" I took it to the dealer as I need other work done by them. It turned out in my case to be a sensor in the steering wheel that needed to be replaced. It was inexpensive fix/replacement of sensor.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:22 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,212 Likes on 824 Posts

I get the same light/message after mine sits undriven for a few days....goes away after a couple stop/start cycles...Just started about a week ago on my 2012..When I drive it every day I'm not seeing the message at all...

Last edited by hawkgfr; 04-25-2019 at 10:00 PM.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:56 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by hawkgfr
I get the same light/message after mine sits undriven for a few days....does away after a couple stop/start cycles...Just started about a week ago on my 2012..When I drive it every day I'm not seeing the message at all...
Mine did that but it started to stay on longer where I couldn't clear it but it did go away eventually. But I decided to have it looked at because I had other work done.
I get that other message "SES caliberating" then it clears itself. Now I think that is normal.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:21 PM
Carvone
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

I made this post 5 days ago, https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1599264082

check out the videos in there about the steering wheel sensor and let us know if this is what is wrong with yours. It's actually a very easy fix.......once I figured out what exactly was wrong.

Seems that the telescopic column is in need of some lube after sitting idle for many years.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:00 PM
Daniiaree
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jakmarlin
Turn your car on and cycle through the DIC engine monitoring features (right side, near steering wheel) and see if your TPMS system shows air in all tires. I would get the tire pressure sensors reset at a tire store next. If TPMS has a fault, TC and AHS is locked out automatically. It a place to start.
both Left tires report 35 PSI while the Right report 37 PSI. Would you assume that the difference in PSI from one side to the other be the issue?
Old 04-25-2019, 07:01 PM
Daniiaree
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LS WON
I had same problem with the "Service SES traction control" I took it to the dealer as I need other work done by them. It turned out in my case to be a sensor in the steering wheel that needed to be replaced. It was inexpensive fix/replacement of sensor.
Managed to stop by autozone today to snag this part, but there appears to be multiple parts with the same name. Would you happen to know the specific name of the sensor you replaced?
Old 04-25-2019, 07:05 PM
gayvettelover
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

both Left tires report 35 PSI while the Right report 37 PSI. Would you assume that the difference in PSI from one side to the other be the issue?
trust me thats not the problem, i had SAH and it was brake pedal switch which is easy replace, but both sah and service traction control is a bigger issue
Old 04-26-2019, 01:57 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 654 Likes on 473 Posts

Your car is malfunctioning dangerously. Stop guessing. Stop part swapping. The service message means a code is stored. Plug in a code reader that can see the Corvette EBCM (brake computer) and pull the codes. Low-end generic code readers won't be able to do it. A Tech 2 can. Modern Snap-Ons can. Find someone with the right scan tool and pull the codes.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:49 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Managed to stop by autozone today to snag this part, but there appears to be multiple parts with the same name. Would you happen to know the specific name of the sensor you replaced?
It was the steering wheel sensor. I can reaffirm this by checking receipt later tonight to see if there is a part number to that part. Corvette tech also cleared the code out.

Last edited by LS WON; 04-26-2019 at 09:54 AM.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:53 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Carvone
I made this post 5 days ago, https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1599264082

check out the videos in there about the steering wheel sensor and let us know if this is what is wrong with yours. It's actually a very easy fix.......once I figured out what exactly was wrong.

Seems that the telescopic column is in need of some lube after sitting idle for many years.
I am not able to access those links at this time. Will have to check those later tonight. On my Corvette I don't have the telescope steering wheel option just tilt.
Old 04-26-2019, 11:00 PM
Elijah71
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 72 Posts

I had a similar issue a couple years ago the dealership replaced the EBCM. Thankfully it was under warranty.
Old 04-26-2019, 11:12 PM
kevinkar
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Too many sensors and switches and doodads on these cars to know for sure what ONE problem it could be and it's dangerous for you to self-diagnose this. Only real solution is bring it in to someone who knows what they are doing and, if that means (GASP!) a Chevy dealer, so be it! Go get it checked out NOW. You do NOT want to be at speed when your car freaks out because of a bad reading from a loose or failing sensor. It's bad enough driving through a parking lot with the car jumping and stuttering along. Embarrassing too!
The following users liked this post:
Daniiaree (04-28-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To HELP: Service Active Handling System, Service Traction Control.

Quick Reply: HELP: Service Active Handling System, Service Traction Control.