C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how do we get started "tracking" the car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 08:57 AM
agorena123
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts
Default how do we get started "tracking" the car?

I've always read about tracking your car but honestly don't really know what that means or how to get started in that sport. We live in the Houston TX area, southeast near the gulf coast, and would welcome information from the forum on how to get started in track racing, the appropriate racing type of events for our C6 Z51, and any local resources or clubs to contact here in the Houston area. Thanks!

Last edited by agorena123; 05-12-2019 at 09:25 AM. Reason: ETA
Old 05-12-2019, 09:51 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,444 Likes on 2,802 Posts

Heres my advice on the subject.

Step 1 is deciding that you're fine with totalling the car with no insurance payout. If you've got money like that, you're ready to move to step 2. If not, buy a car you're willing to throw away for it.

Step 2, prep. You need all new fluids. You will be going through brake fluid like crazy, so be prepared to change that out yourself. Look at your tires, you want something in the 300 to 300 treadwear rating to start, not too much grip to give you false confidence, but also not too cheap or they will chunk from the heat. Make sure you've bought decent (you dont need anything fancy here) metallic brake pads (DO NOT GET CERAMIC). Stoptech makes some good sets, as well as duralast from autozone, etc.

Step 3, buy a helmet. If you can find a local place with them in stock, that's best so you can try them on. You will want a moderately nice one, as they're going to be uncomfortable so lighter is better.

Step 4, find a track day. Theres a few good sites for this, clubregistration, motorsportreg, where2race, etc. Just look for a high performance driver education event, I'd start with PCA or BMWCCA or something like that, they tend to put on good events. NASA does too, but they get a bit more riff raff that will wreck.

Step 5, check your ego at the door. You will quickly find out you cant drive, and are in way over your head with the car. Listen to your in car instructor. Your first several events will be about learning to be safe, not fast. You will get passed by slower cars, be willing to give point bys. Remember that your end goal is to drive your car home in the same shape it came it.

Step 6, cash out your 401k and savinags cuz this is gonna get expensive. It's a fun hobby, but it typically will cost ~a grand each weekend.
The following 5 users liked this post by FAUEE:
808_Vette (05-12-2019), BigMonkey73 (05-13-2019), BlackMamba89 (05-14-2019), Fletch F. Fletch (05-12-2019), OregonMike (05-13-2019)
Old 05-12-2019, 09:54 AM
Fletch F. Fletch
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE

Step 1 is deciding that you're fine with totalling the car with no insurance payout. If you've got money like that, you're ready to move to step 2. If not, buy a car you're willing to throw away for it.

Step 2, prep. You need all new fluids. You will be going through brake fluid like crazy, so be prepared to change that out yourself. Look at your tires, you want something in the 300 to 300 treadwear rating to start, not too much grip to give you false confidence, but also not too cheap or they will chunk from the heat. Make sure you've bought decent (you dont need anything fancy here) metallic brake pads (DO NOT GET CERAMIC). Stoptech makes some good sets, as well as duralast from autozone, etc.

Step 3, buy a helmet. If you can find a local place with them in stock, that's best so you can try them on. You will want a moderately nice one, as they're going to be uncomfortable so lighter is better.

Step 4, find a track day. Theres a few good sites for this, clubregistration, motorsportreg, where2race, etc. Just look for a high performance driver education event, I'd start with PCA or BMWCCA or something like that, they tend to put on good events. NASA does too, but they get a bit more riff raff that will wreck.

Step 5, check your ego at the door. You will quickly find out you cant drive, and are in way over your head with the car. Listen to your in car instructor. Your first several events will be about learning to be safe, not fast. You will get passed by slower cars, be willing to give point bys. Remember that your end goal is to drive your car home in the same shape it came it.

Step 6, cash out your 401k and savinags cuz this is gonna get expensive. It's a fun hobby, but it typically will cost ~a grand each weekend.
Great info -- thank you. And thanks to the OP for starting this thread. Tracking is something I've been noodling on as of late.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:56 AM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

Here’s a good link to check out

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...k-in-here.html
The following users liked this post:
agorena123 (05-12-2019)
Old 05-12-2019, 09:59 AM
EVRGRN
Burning Brakes

Received 343 Likes on 200 Posts

Great advice indeed, especially Step #1, which is often overlooked. I've heard of unscrupulous people committing insurance fraud by towing their wreck offsite and claiming an accident. Not the way to do it - if you're going to play, be prepared to pay.

Last edited by EVRGRN; 05-12-2019 at 10:00 AM.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:29 PM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,116 Likes on 693 Posts

Check out Grand Sport Speedway in Hitchcock

https://grandsportspeedway.com/

Not sure if there are still any events in the parking lot at Gulf Greyhound Park in LaMarque.
Old 05-12-2019, 01:36 PM
Garry in AZ
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

I'll add something else... before you commit to the expense and time involved in preparing your car, spend a few days at a good driving school. Not only will you learn the fundamentals of track driving and proper track etiquette and safety, you'll also find out how demanding it is on both the car and driver. Many people have no idea how physically and mentally draining competitive driving really is, and when they get a taste of it, they decide it's not really something they would enjoy doing regularly. Spending 3 hours pounding around a racetrack is a lot more tiring than a 12 hour freeway cruise.

Something else you might want to consider as a way to get your feet wet is "gymkhana" or "autocrossing" events where you drive on a course laid out with cones, and compete against the clock. Look at SCCA Solo events and see if that's appealing. It certainly is a lot cheaper!

Last edited by Garry in AZ; 05-12-2019 at 01:41 PM.
tns (05-12-2019)
Old 05-12-2019, 02:12 PM
agorena123
Advanced

Originally Posted by C6ToGo
Check out Grand Sport Speedway in Hitchcock

https://grandsportspeedway.com/

Not sure if there are still any events in the parking lot at Gulf Greyhound Park in LaMarque.
Thanks for the link!
Old 05-12-2019, 02:16 PM
agorena123
Advanced

Originally Posted by Garry in AZ
I'll add something else... before you commit to the expense and time involved in preparing your car, spend a few days at a good driving school. Not only will you learn the fundamentals of track driving and proper track etiquette and safety, you'll also find out how demanding it is on both the car and driver. Many people have no idea how physically and mentally draining competitive driving really is, and when they get a taste of it, they decide it's not really something they would enjoy doing regularly. Spending 3 hours pounding around a racetrack is a lot more tiring than a 12 hour freeway cruise.

Something else you might want to consider as a way to get your feet wet is "gymkhana" or "autocrossing" events where you drive on a course laid out with cones, and compete against the clock. Look at SCCA Solo events and see if that's appealing. It certainly is a lot cheaper!
Yes I think this make sense. We want to learn to drive better and participate in track type events to enjoy the capabilities of the car, and perhaps not get into the more committed side of things yet. It would be my 17yo son who would also want to participate where he could.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:14 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,444 Likes on 2,802 Posts

Originally Posted by agorena123
Yes I think this make sense. We want to learn to drive better and participate in track type events to enjoy the capabilities of the car, and perhaps not get into the more committed side of things yet. It would be my 17yo son who would also want to participate where he could.
I'm gonna be blunt. Go buy an 05ish v6 mustang with a stick. At 17, you totally lack the capabilities for this car. Plus you both will learn a lot more in a car that wont fix your mistakes for you as much.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:59 PM
agorena123
Advanced

I'm gonna be blunt. Go buy an 05ish v6 mustang with a stick. At 17, you totally lack the capabilities for this car. Plus you both will learn a lot more in a car that wont fix your mistakes for you as much.
At 58 I totally lack the capabilities of this car. If nothing is out there to learn to be better performance driver for an old guy and a teenager looking to do a father son thing with the car we own, then we'll just enjoy it around town and country roads like ever other Corvette owner.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:11 PM
gayvettelover
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Making the entire car made in carbon fibre would be amazing too
Old 05-12-2019, 08:57 PM
Jbeautexas
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I've always read about tracking your car but honestly don't really know what that means or how to get started in that sport. We live in the Houston TX area, southeast near the gulf coast, and would welcome information from the forum on how to get started in track racing, the appropriate racing type of events for our C6 Z51, and any local resources or clubs to contact here in the Houston area. Thanks!

Love it!!

Here’s a learning curve buster, sign up for L1 at The Driveway Austin with Bill Dollahite. You don’t need a helmet, you’re not going to wreck, you are going to learn safety and the basics of performance car “tracking.” All of his instructors are pro/former pro drivers who know their stuff. Pm me for my cell if you want to chat.

https://www.drivewayaustin.com/
agorena123 (05-12-2019)
Old 05-12-2019, 09:16 PM
agorena123
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jbeautexas
Love it!!

Here’s a learning curve buster, sign up for L1 at The Driveway Austin with Bill Dollahite. You don’t need a helmet, you’re not going to wreck, you are going to learn safety and the basics of performance car “tracking.” All of his instructors are pro/former pro drivers who know their stuff. Pm me for my cell if you want to chat.

https://www.drivewayaustin.com/
Thanks! Sounds like what we're looking for.
Jbeautexas (05-12-2019)
Old 05-12-2019, 09:17 PM
agorena123
Advanced

Originally Posted by gayvettelover
Making the entire car made in carbon fibre would be amazing too
I'm on it!!!
Old 05-12-2019, 10:13 PM
CJ Willys
Le Mans Master

Received 505 Likes on 295 Posts

Some tracks have'lite' days. They'll lend you a helmet, let you do a lead-follow thing. Not much different than a spirited drive. Start there.
agorena123 (05-13-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 09:48 AM
BigMonkey73
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Motorsports Ranch Houston is a pretty good track.

The Driver's Edge has a pretty good experience for beginners. There are 4 classed run groups depending on experience, and an instructor run group..so you'll have a little over an hour between sessions for a max of 4 sessions per day. All of the TDE events are 2 day events, so you'll need to block out a full weekend to attend both days.

Green - Novice - Instructor at all times. If you're not on track, you're in a class room
Blue - Novice + - Instructor at all times until you're solo approved..then no instructor 2 of 4 sessions. You'll have minimum 2 classes per day
Yellow - Intermediate + | Instructor for 2 of 4 sessions. Minimum 1 class per day
Red - Advanced | No instructors | Minimum 1 class per day | Have fun and be safe !!

You will need a helmet! Organizations may rent you a helmet, and I think it’s OK to do so for your very first event. However, if you get bitten by the bug and decide this is something you want to do on a regular basis, you’ll want to buy your own helmet. You’ll also want to invest on some head socks. When you are road racing, your heart rate will go up and you most likely will be sweating...a lot. A head sock will help keep the helmet dry and you won’t have to suffer through wet nasty stuff after each session. This is pretty gross if you’re renting a helmet. You can find cheap head socks on Amazon. You can even get a bunch of painters head socks (not as effective, but gets the job done and you get a lot of them so you can use one for each session..wash and re-use for other events.)

The helmet choice must be specific! You can’t just bring anything. See the org’s website for requirements. eBay is a good source, but explore on your own to find yours. Don’t get too caught up in high priced helmets. HPDE is controlled and there have been zero deaths or serious injuries that I’m aware of.

Make sure to check if the organization requires you bring car numbers with you. If so, you’ll need to order vinyl numbers that you’ll stick on your car early. Otherwise, you might just have to make your own numbers out of painter’s tape..which looks ugly..but is cheap and will work.

Bring water to your events! It is very important to stay hydrated. Again, you’ll be sweating and you need water to make sure you don’t pass out from dehydration. Wear comfortable clothing. In the summer shorts are generally OK, but long pants preferred. Each org will tell you what is OK to wear and what is not.

If you have a folding chair, that is probably a good idea too. For TDE events, beginners will be either in class or on track, so you won’t get to use it as much..but as you advance you’ll see less class time so a chair is good to have with you.

Things you'll need:
Helmet (if you’re not planning to rent) & Head Socks
Tech Sheet (You can fill your own out once you get familiar with the car, but might be a good idea to have a race shop do one for you in the beginning to make sure you didn't miss anything)
Proof of Insurance
Driver’s License
Tire Pressure Gauge
Torque Wrench with correct socket & Breaker Bar
Glass Cleaner & Towels
Car Numbers (if required)
Water

Nice to Haves: Chair/Spare Brake Pads/Floor Jack/Spare Tires/Any other tools you think you might need

Maintenance! It is very important that all of your fluids are fresh and/or topped off. Your car will be running at levels it is not accustomed to for extended periods of time. You’ll be hearing and smelling things you’ve never experienced before. The big ones are:

Engine Oil
Brake Fluid
Coolant
Transmission
Differential Fluid
Power Steering

If nothing else, you need to ensure your brake fluid is fresh. It is also highly recommended that you upgrade to a high temperature brake fluid such as Castrol SRF or Motul RBF 600. Your brake system will be going into high gear and, when you’re getting faster on track, you WILL make your standard brake fluid boil. That means the pedal will go to the floor and no brakes. On a high speed track, this is no bueno. Spend a little money and get some fresh brake fluid in there.

Check your brake pads and rotors! Do NOT get on the track with anything less than 50% brake pad life left. Once you get faster after a couple of events, you’ll want to upgrade to some better pads that you’ll be swapping for your HPDE events if you’re going to use your daily driver. Your rotors likely are fine, but make sure to mention that to your tech inspector so they can give you a professional opinion.

Good tires! Tires are extremely important for road racing. You do NOT want to go out with balding tires. Make sure you have a good amount of tread left. Take a look before your event, and after. Once you start getting faster, the wear you put on them will be shocking! A good tire will help you brake better and take those corners at faster speeds. The tires WILL get hot on track when driven at high speeds and taking those corners. Use your tire pressure gauge to let some air out prior to getting on track. Try 3-5 lbs less initially and check them after each session. I’ve seen my tires go up as much as 10+ PSI after a good session! You’ll also want to check torque your wheels after each session once it has cooled down and prior to the first one. Find out the correct torque for your car (Chevy is 100 lbs). After each session, the lugs might be loose...especially if you’re fast out there. Don’t forget to torque!

You’ll also want to make sure to get your car aligned if it isn’t driving straight. If you have any bad TPMS sensors, this may make your car do strange things on track. Take care of that prior to the event.

It will take a while to advance through the experience levels. A while meaning at least 3-5 events per level...which might be over a year for you..or maybe less if you're a bad ***. Your car should probably stay pretty stock until you're faster. But the minimum mods should be fresh fluids, a good set of brake pads, and tires.

For brake fluid...If you really want worry free..just go with Castrol SRF straight out the gate..especially if you don't do your own wrenching. It will save you headache and labor fees. Castrol SRF is good for a year with no worries (maybe a bleed in between). Anything else like Motul 600 or whatever...probably will need a change after every 2 or 3 events depending on how aggressive you're using brakes.

For pads, Stoptech 309/sport pads are a great option. They are cheap and do great with heat..and you can choose to use them on the street if you want..as long as you're OK with a little extra dust.

Tires: Stick with 200TW + tires aka street tires until you're in a yellow/red group...then you can choose to go R-compound or semi slick. Even some 200TW + are really sticky such as Bridgestone RE71R or Toyo R888..BF Goodrich Rival S, Hankook RS4 etc. A lot of Corvettes run Michelin Pilot Super Sports because they perform great on track and on street...so no need for dedicated track tires.

Once you do start getting faster...(Blue Solo and beyond)..then a whole new world of upgrades opens up. Fair warning: For a corvette, if you find yourself wanting to really want to be fast and compete with the top tier drivers at these kinds of events or Time Trials with SCCA or NASA...then you'll really need to think hard about using a narrow body. The wide body Grand Sports and Z06 have a better platform all around..and they have super wide tire widths they can support which makes for a lot of grip and you'll be instantly out classed Vette vs Vette ( and there are a lot of Vettes for HPDE / Time Trials) if you use a narrow body. Ask me how I know! In the end, if I had the funds/choice, i would have traded in my narrow body and gone Grand Sport to have the wide tires and NA engine...my ideal Vette!

With that said, there will be plenty of other cars on track that can go just as fast if not faster. Miatas, BMWs, S2000, Mustangs, Camaros and so forth. Track days are the most fun I've ever had in a car and has become my most beloved hobby.

Have fun and be safe!

Get notified of new replies

To how do we get started "tracking" the car?

Old 05-13-2019, 10:37 AM
agorena123
Advanced

Originally Posted by BigMonkey73

The Driver's Edge has a pretty good experience for beginners. There are 4 classed run groups depending on experience, and an instructor run group..so you'll have a little over an hour between sessions for a max of 4 sessions per day. All of the TDE events are 2 day events, so you'll need to block out a full weekend to attend both days.

Green - Novice - Instructor at all times. If you're not on track, you're in a class room
Blue - Novice + - Instructor at all times until you're solo approved..then no instructor 2 of 4 sessions. You'll have minimum 2 classes per day
Yellow - Intermediate + | Instructor for 2 of 4 sessions. Minimum 1 class per day
Red - Advanced | No instructors | Minimum 1 class per day | Have fun and be safe !!

You will need a helmet! Organizations may rent you a helmet, and I think it’s OK to do so for your very first event. However, if you get bitten by the bug and decide this is something you want to do on a regular basis, you’ll want to buy your own helmet. You’ll also want to invest on some head socks. When you are road racing, your heart rate will go up and you most likely will be sweating...a lot. A head sock will help keep the helmet dry and you won’t have to suffer through wet nasty stuff after each session. This is pretty gross if you’re renting a helmet. You can find cheap head socks on Amazon. You can even get a bunch of painters head socks (not as effective, but gets the job done and you get a lot of them so you can use one for each session..wash and re-use for other events.)

The helmet choice must be specific! You can’t just bring anything. See the org’s website for requirements. eBay is a good source, but explore on your own to find yours. Don’t get too caught up in high priced helmets. HPDE is controlled and there have been zero deaths or serious injuries that I’m aware of.

Make sure to check if the organization requires you bring car numbers with you. If so, you’ll need to order vinyl numbers that you’ll stick on your car early. Otherwise, you might just have to make your own numbers out of painter’s tape..which looks ugly..but is cheap and will work.

Bring water to your events! It is very important to stay hydrated. Again, you’ll be sweating and you need water to make sure you don’t pass out from dehydration. Wear comfortable clothing. In the summer shorts are generally OK, but long pants preferred. Each org will tell you what is OK to wear and what is not.

If you have a folding chair, that is probably a good idea too. For TDE events, beginners will be either in class or on track, so you won’t get to use it as much..but as you advance you’ll see less class time so a chair is good to have with you.

Things you'll need:
Helmet (if you’re not planning to rent) & Head Socks
Tech Sheet (You can fill your own out once you get familiar with the car, but might be a good idea to have a race shop do one for you in the beginning to make sure you didn't miss anything)
Proof of Insurance
Driver’s License
Tire Pressure Gauge
Torque Wrench with correct socket & Breaker Bar
Glass Cleaner & Towels
Car Numbers (if required)
Water

Nice to Haves: Chair/Spare Brake Pads/Floor Jack/Spare Tires/Any other tools you think you might need

Maintenance! It is very important that all of your fluids are fresh and/or topped off. Your car will be running at levels it is not accustomed to for extended periods of time. You’ll be hearing and smelling things you’ve never experienced before. The big ones are:

Engine Oil
Brake Fluid
Coolant
Transmission
Differential Fluid
Power Steering

If nothing else, you need to ensure your brake fluid is fresh. It is also highly recommended that you upgrade to a high temperature brake fluid such as Castrol SRF or Motul RBF 600. Your brake system will be going into high gear and, when you’re getting faster on track, you WILL make your standard brake fluid boil. That means the pedal will go to the floor and no brakes. On a high speed track, this is no bueno. Spend a little money and get some fresh brake fluid in there.

Check your brake pads and rotors! Do NOT get on the track with anything less than 50% brake pad life left. Once you get faster after a couple of events, you’ll want to upgrade to some better pads that you’ll be swapping for your HPDE events if you’re going to use your daily driver. Your rotors likely are fine, but make sure to mention that to your tech inspector so they can give you a professional opinion.

Good tires! Tires are extremely important for road racing. You do NOT want to go out with balding tires. Make sure you have a good amount of tread left. Take a look before your event, and after. Once you start getting faster, the wear you put on them will be shocking! A good tire will help you brake better and take those corners at faster speeds. The tires WILL get hot on track when driven at high speeds and taking those corners. Use your tire pressure gauge to let some air out prior to getting on track. Try 3-5 lbs less initially and check them after each session. I’ve seen my tires go up as much as 10+ PSI after a good session! You’ll also want to check torque your wheels after each session once it has cooled down and prior to the first one. Find out the correct torque for your car (Chevy is 100 lbs). After each session, the lugs might be loose...especially if you’re fast out there. Don’t forget to torque!

You’ll also want to make sure to get your car aligned if it isn’t driving straight. If you have any bad TPMS sensors, this may make your car do strange things on track. Take care of that prior to the event.

It will take a while to advance through the experience levels. A while meaning at least 3-5 events per level...which might be over a year for you..or maybe less if you're a bad ***. Your car should probably stay pretty stock until you're faster. But the minimum mods should be fresh fluids, a good set of brake pads, and tires.

For brake fluid...If you really want worry free..just go with Castrol SRF straight out the gate..especially if you don't do your own wrenching. It will save you headache and labor fees. Castrol SRF is good for a year with no worries (maybe a bleed in between). Anything else like Motul 600 or whatever...probably will need a change after every 2 or 3 events depending on how aggressive you're using brakes.

For pads, Stoptech 309/sport pads are a great option. They are cheap and do great with heat..and you can choose to use them on the street if you want..as long as you're OK with a little extra dust.

Tires: Stick with 200TW + tires aka street tires until you're in a yellow/red group...then you can choose to go R-compound or semi slick. Even some 200TW + are really sticky such as Bridgestone RE71R or Toyo R888..BF Goodrich Rival S, Hankook RS4 etc. A lot of Corvettes run Michelin Pilot Super Sports because they perform great on track and on street...so no need for dedicated track tires.

Once you do start getting faster...(Blue Solo and beyond)..then a whole new world of upgrades opens up. Fair warning: For a corvette, if you find yourself wanting to really want to be fast and compete with the top tier drivers at these kinds of events or Time Trials with SCCA or NASA...then you'll really need to think hard about using a narrow body. The wide body Grand Sports and Z06 have a better platform all around..and they have super wide tire widths they can support which makes for a lot of grip and you'll be instantly out classed Vette vs Vette ( and there are a lot of Vettes for HPDE / Time Trials) if you use a narrow body. Ask me how I know! In the end, if I had the funds/choice, i would have traded in my narrow body and gone Grand Sport to have the wide tires and NA engine...my ideal Vette!

With that said, there will be plenty of other cars on track that can go just as fast if not faster. Miatas, BMWs, S2000, Mustangs, Camaros and so forth. Track days are the most fun I've ever had in a car and has become my most beloved hobby.

Have fun and be safe!
Great information - thank you!
Old 05-13-2019, 04:54 PM
balljointnut
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Great information - thank you!
A different point of view. Buy the car and sign up for a track day. You aren't fast enough to break your car first time out. With a good instructor you won't wreck it either, unless you are stupid. After you have been once, decide how much you are willing to spend. Game on.
agorena123 (05-13-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 09:43 AM
agorena123
Advanced

Originally Posted by BigMonkey73

Hey BigMonkey73 - spoke with Rick at TDE, and seems like this is route we are going to take. He invited us out to one of the events to check things out, take a parade lap or do a charity run. Thinking I'll do the Green class when schedule and budget permits.

Quick Reply: how do we get started "tracking" the car?