C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has dropped there drive train out the bottom?

Old 05-20-2019, 05:03 PM
TX DSOM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Who has dropped there drive train out the bottom?

I'm in the process of removing my drive train for upgrades.

I've got the rear end covered, but not so sure about the front. So who here has done this before?
I've searched and searched for write up on this topic, but haven't had any luck. I remember seeing cajun dudes wirte up, but now his site is offline.

What did you do about the brake lines? The ABS module is a tight fit with the power steering pump. Did you remove it?
What needs to be done with the wiring harness? Do all sensors need to be disconnected? or can you disconnect from the main plug and let all the wiring come with the drive train?
A/C Compressor. Can you leave it with the body to save from recharging? I'm not sure if it will come up past the water pump while connected.

Thanks guys!
Old 05-21-2019, 11:35 AM
TX DSOM
Advanced

Anyone?
Old 05-21-2019, 11:40 AM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 775 Likes on 504 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by TX DSOM
Anyone?
Any reason you don't just take it out from the top?
Old 05-21-2019, 12:07 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 650 Likes on 469 Posts

I'm in the process of removing my drive train for upgrades.

I've got the rear end covered, but not so sure about the front. So who here has done this before?
I've searched and searched for write up on this topic, but haven't had any luck. I remember seeing cajun dudes wirte up, but now his site is offline.

What did you do about the brake lines? The ABS module is a tight fit with the power steering pump. Did you remove it?
What needs to be done with the wiring harness? Do all sensors need to be disconnected? or can you disconnect from the main plug and let all the wiring come with the drive train?
A/C Compressor. Can you leave it with the body to save from recharging? I'm not sure if it will come up past the water pump while connected.

Thanks guys!
I've done it.

I unbolted the master cylinder from the booster, unhooked the brake hard lines from the tunnel, and lowered the entire driveline. Then I disconnected the rear lines at the ABS box and set them aside, with the rear calipers still attached. You can leave the front lines hooked up.

Wiring harness: unplug the big connectors that go into the bottom of the fusebox, as well as the ECU and various connectors around it. There's a battery/starter harness, a big harness that wraps around the engine, and a transmission harness that runs down the torque tube. You can leave the last two all hooked up to their various sensors.

My A/C was shot anyway so I depressurized and disconnected the lines.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:12 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by torquetube
Then I disconnected the rear lines at the ABS box and set them aside, with the rear calipers still attached.
I should have said with the left rear caliper still attached. I disconnected the hard line for the RR brake at both ends: the ABS box up front, and at the subframe in back.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:53 PM
TX DSOM
Advanced

Originally Posted by torquetube
I've done it.

I unbolted the master cylinder from the booster, unhooked the brake hard lines from the tunnel, and lowered the entire driveline. Then I disconnected the rear lines at the ABS box and set them aside, with the rear calipers still attached. You can leave the front lines hooked up.

Wiring harness: unplug the big connectors that go into the bottom of the fusebox, as well as the ECU and various connectors around it. There's a battery/starter harness, a big harness that wraps around the engine, and a transmission harness that runs down the torque tube. You can leave the last two all hooked up to their various sensors.

My A/C was shot anyway so I depressurized and disconnected the lines.

Thanks!

I've already disconnected the starter and all sensors behind it. I was about to start pulling all the plugs on the injectors/coil pack and intake sensors, but thought maybe they could stay.

I've dropped the rear subframe and to do that i just broke the union inside the frame on the driver side(this is for the passenger side caliper) and then unbolted the drivers side caliper and hung it from the body. This was my plan for this time around also. Im still not sure what all you did with the front brakes?? I have an abs module mounted between the radiator and the power steering pump. Did you remove this? It also has a wiring harness plugged into it.

I'll post pictures tonight!
Old 05-21-2019, 02:54 PM
TX DSOM
Advanced

Originally Posted by subfloor@centurytrans
Any reason you don't just take it out from the top?
I'm swapping out the rear diff as well, so i figured I'd just drop everything together.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:55 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 775 Likes on 504 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

I'm swapping out the rear diff as well, so i figured I'd just drop everything together.
It's pretty easy to do everything from the top and I've written How To guides for both the engine as well as the trans and/or differential.
Old 05-21-2019, 03:16 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Im still not sure what all you did with the front brakes?? I have an abs module mounted between the radiator and the power steering pump. Did you remove this? It also has a wiring harness plugged into it.!
The ABS module is attached to the front subframe. It all comes down together: ABS module, engine, front suspension, front brakes and all. All you have to do is unbolt the master cylinder from the booster. Bungee-cord it to the top of the engine.

The ABS module just plugs in to the engine harness. All of that can stay put.

The beauty of dropping the drivetrain out the bottom is that's how the car was assembled in the first place. GM put the driveline together out in the open where they could get at things and see what they were doing, and then hoisted the whole assembly into position. It was designed to go together (and come apart) this way.

Get notified of new replies

To Who has dropped there drive train out the bottom?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Who has dropped there drive train out the bottom?