C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switchback LEDs Malfunction?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 03:50 PM
chrisharek
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Switchback LEDs Malfunction?

Hey all. I purchased and installed these switchback LEDs last week from www.corvettemods.com. The amber blinkers work, but the white LED DRLs stay lit when the blinker is on. It overpowers the blinker, which you really can't see. I wired the resistor (to prevent hyperflash) in series with the bulb - and no issues with hyperflashing. Corvette Mods didn't have much help when I called them today but offered to look into it.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. Track day scheduled on 7/13 and I may need to put back the original dated orange DRLs so the blinkers will work.

Thanks, cs
Old 05-28-2019, 04:29 PM
Dragon Tamer
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

You can't just install the switchback bulb. You need a harness for the "switch" from white to amber to white to work. You can get the harness from Radio Flyer Innovations - a forum sponsor. It's easy to install, completely plug and play. I've had the harnesses installed for at least 2 years - no issue at all.
The following users liked this post:
chrisharek (05-28-2019)
Old 05-28-2019, 04:52 PM
chrisharek
Advanced

Why the heck didn't CorvetteMods say something about a harnass!? I would have ordered them too!

Wow . . . CM has certainly fallen from my list of parts suppliers.

Thanks DT!
Old 05-28-2019, 05:16 PM
pokerpro
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 219 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Dragon Tamer
You can't just install the switchback bulb. You need a harness for the "switch" from white to amber to white to work. You can get the harness from Radio Flyer Innovations - a forum sponsor. It's easy to install, completely plug and play. I've had the harnesses installed for at least 2 years - no issue at all.

This is not true at all. I purchased these bulbs from Amazon
Amazon Amazon
and just put them in place where the amber DRL bulb is and they work perfect. No additional harness or anything else is needed. You have a nice bright white DRL and it turns amber when you use one of the turn signals.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:36 PM
chrisharek
Advanced

They do look really good but apparently forgot to mention I needed a wiring harness!
Old 05-28-2019, 05:51 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,057 Posts

The resistors are to prevent hyper flash. The LED switchback bulb is a direct replacement for the original bulb. If it isn’t turning amber on flash remove it and turn it 180 degrees snd try again. Should solve the problem. Also make sure the resistors are on the proper wiring circuit.

The Radioflyer harness is used in place of the resistors (which, in my experience when I had my C5, suck and burn out regularly). The harness is worth the money and keeps you from replacing resistors two or three times a year.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:17 PM
luka2sb
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by pokerpro
This is not true at all. I purchased these bulbs from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and just put them in place where the amber DRL bulb is and they work perfect. No additional harness or anything else is needed. You have a nice bright white DRL and it turns amber when you use one of the turn signals.
There are 3 functions in 1 bulb on the c6. Parking lights, DRLs, and turn signal.
are you telling me that product from amazon gets you white parking lights + white DRL + amber Turn signal?
To my understanding DRL and turn signal use the same Filament, so I I’d be impressed if that LED works as you described.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:36 PM
CrvtBB
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tamer
+1 for this product. Excellent.
chrisharek (05-28-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 06:22 AM
pokerpro
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2015 C6 of Year Finalist

[QUOTE=luka2sb;1599482643]There are 3 functions in 1 bulb on the c6. Parking lights, DRLs, and turn signal.
are you telling me that product from amazon gets you white parking lights + white DRL + amber Turn signal?
To my understanding DRL and turn signal use the same Filament, so I I’d be impressed if that LED works as you described.[/QUOTE

The parking light as you call it and the DRL are one in the same.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:50 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisharek
Why the heck didn't CorvetteMods say something about a harnass!? I would have ordered them too!

Wow . . . CM has certainly fallen from my list of parts suppliers.

Thanks DT!
Old 05-29-2019, 09:56 AM
oemtech
Melting Slicks

Received 159 Likes on 116 Posts

Radio Flyer Innovations for the win!
chrisharek (05-29-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 10:04 AM
chrisharek
Advanced

Radio Flyer Harnasses are ordered. Thanks guys.

During the initial install, the new switchback bulbs didn't work at all, then, I flipped them as someone suggested, and they worked - kinda.

The resistors actually come with the Radio Flyer Harnesses contrary to what someone noted herein. I'm mad I spent the extra 10 bucks for the resistors when I ordered from CM.
Dragon Tamer (05-29-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 10:21 AM
luka2sb
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by pokerpro
The parking light as you call it and the DRL are one in the same.
no. The DRL and the turn signal are the same circuit. to flash turn signal the BCM literally switches the DRL circuit on and off. The parking light is the different circuit.

you haven't answered the question, with that switchback LED bulb you put a link for, you get white DRL as well as amber turn signal, and you don't have any other modifications like the radio flyer harness?

Last edited by luka2sb; 05-29-2019 at 10:23 AM.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:38 AM
Dragon Tamer
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

My final 2 cents...The Radio Flyer harness has a built in relay circuit in the harness to address the possible issue with the BCM burning out the relay circuit when using switchback bulbs as I understand it. The harness also includes, prewired into the harness, a resistor to put an adequate load on the circuit to emulate the load of a filament bulb to prevent hyperflash of the LED bulb. Those resistors do get hot and need to be mounted to steel to disperse the heat. The Radio Flyer instructions for the proper mounting of the resistor is highly recommended to prevent any potential for burning or melting in a confined space. I would also suggest that following the directions to pull the fog light to enable easy installation of the resistor should be followed. It's not a big deal to pull and replace the foglight.
chrisharek (05-29-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 10:41 AM
chrisharek
Advanced

Thanks DT. I've already swapped out the fog lights with LEDs so I'll be sure to follow the RF instructions to a tee.
Dragon Tamer (05-29-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 10:46 AM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Vette-lights.com offers a LED bulb but you still have to add a resistor to prevent possible hyper flashing. They include the resistor with the bulb purchase.

https://www.vette-lights.com/collect...free-resistors
rc51racer (06-18-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 11:21 AM
pokerpro
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by luka2sb
no. The DRL and the turn signal are the same circuit. to flash turn signal the BCM literally switches the DRL circuit on and off. The parking light is the different circuit.

you haven't answered the question, with that switchback LED bulb you put a link for, you get white DRL as well as amber turn signal, and you don't have any other modifications like the radio flyer harness?

Yes that is correct, all I did was install that bulb that I sent a link for with no harness of any kind and no additional parts what so ever. The DRL or parking light is bright white 100% of the time unless the turn signal is being used then it turns amber to stay legal.

I would never put any additional harnesses on my ride just to make something work, I don't need the electrical issues that can arise from doing so.

Get notified of new replies

To Switchback LEDs Malfunction?

Old 05-29-2019, 01:52 PM
SladeX
Melting Slicks

Received 833 Likes on 607 Posts

I intalled the radioflyer harness kit for switchback and aside from the pita it was to mount the resister/relay, it was a decent install. The harness is well done with oem weatherpack connectors. The front bar to mount my resistors was thicker than the supplied screw on my 05 so i had to purchase 0.5 inch longer screws.
chrisharek (05-31-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 10:49 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisharek
Radio Flyer Harnasses are ordered. Thanks guys.

During the initial install, the new switchback bulbs didn't work at all, then, I flipped them as someone suggested, and they worked - kinda.

The resistors actually come with the Radio Flyer Harnesses contrary to what someone noted herein. I'm mad I spent the extra 10 bucks for the resistors when I ordered from CM.
I thought Corvette Mod vendor was good?

Last edited by LS WON; 05-30-2019 at 10:50 AM.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:11 AM
chrisharek
Advanced

Originally Posted by LS WON
I thought Corvette Mod vendor was good?
I thought so too. I got a very vague response to my Email inquiry that they have never had this issue before. No wiring diagram or any instruction was included either.

(shrugging shoulders)

Quick Reply: Switchback LEDs Malfunction?